Remember Jean Michel Jarre?

What's Hot
Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
edited September 2013 in Music
I used to be mad keen on his music as a spotty teenager back in the late 80's/ early '90s but then he disappeared from my musical mind. Until t'other day when he came up on SkyARTS. Anyway a nostalgic trip to iTunes followed and I ended up with Oxygene and Magnetic Fields.

good shit bro

any other Jarre-heads on?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I was very into Oxygene and Equinoxe (still my favourite) when I was about that age, but I quickly lost interest after that - he seemed to repeat the same formula too much and didn't really take it anywhere else. I thought he got a bit silly with the huge outdoor shows too - all style and no substance, particularly the 'laser harp' he made such a thing of...

I think he still holds the record for the largest ever concert audience.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• My brother liked him, therefore I didn't.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:
    I was very into Oxygene and Equinoxe (still my favourite) when I was about that age, but I quickly lost interest after that - he seemed to repeat the same formula too much and didn't really take it anywhere else. I thought he got a bit silly with the huge outdoor shows too - all style and no substance, particularly the 'laser harp' he made such a thing of...

Same here ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Not listened to Magnetic fields... will have to get on it!
  • ICBM said:

Aye. I remember seeing the Huston / Lyon concert on the Beeb when I was about 14. I was totally blown away by the scale of it. The fireworks, screens, images projected onto skycrappers, and of course about a billion lasers.

In this doc I saw on SkyARTS he was doing a tour. No big light shows, or fancy gadgets. He was playing in small venues with about 5 other guys. Was pretty cool.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• I liked him too. Just before I went all "Guitar" in 86, I was into Synths and really liked listening to him.

Equinoxe (1978) has to be one of the best album covers of all time as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7a/Equinoxe_Jarre_Album.jpg

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Equinoxe is the high point of his entire career in my opinion. Part 4 in particular still makes the hairs on my neck stand up, as it did when I first heard it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I'm with the Equinox and Oxygene crowd. I remember at the back end of the 70's  being so into these records. I think they have permamnently shaped what I think keybopards and synths should sound like- all phased string machines, mournful Mellotron, fat and bubbly analogue synths, delays, expansive soundscapes and all that!
    The next bands I really got into were Gong and Hawkwind. There's definitely a link! I couldn't get into the stuff that followed though. A school mate was well into those early computers and loved the direction Jarre was going; I remember him once saying that 'in the future' music would all be done using computers... oh how I laughed!

Anyway, having read this thread I've had to dig 'em out and have just put Oxygene on. 7.50 on a Wednesday morning is a good time to do that I think. And Bellycaster is right about the album cover.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24211
    Funnily enough, I was listening to Oxygene in the car this week !  I used to love JMJ....  I can sing the melody line to pretty much the entire Equinox and Oxygene albums, so often have I listened to them as a teenager.  However....  there's one bit that always drives me nuts....  listen to the switch in the groove about 11:10 here....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlBIQqIPaGg

EVERY time I hear that, it throws me.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • I used to like Equinoxe and Oxygene back in the day, haven't listened to Magnetic Fields for ages, but if i listen to any of his stuff now it's Zoolook and Waiting for Cousteau.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.