London Skyscraper tours

What's Hot
Looking at a day out in London in the week leading up to Xmas. I thought a trip to The Shard would be good but at £90 for a family of 4 they can stick it up their arse.

What towers are worth a trip that don't Rio you off? Any with restaurants at the top would be of particular interest but otherwise we'll hit Soho and find something.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28420
    OXO Tower is ok, food is good, on the south bank overlooking the river. But it's only 8 floors up.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25493
    Ninety quid ? - just to go in a fucking 'skyscraper' (and not even a proper one at that) ?

Where do these people find punters willing to cough up for that kind of extortion ?  They must have punters or they wouldn't keep the price that high.

That's just bonkers.

I'll only charge you £40 to have a look in my greenhouse.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Book a table at Hutong in the Shard great food and a great view I think it's on the 35th floor job done
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28420
    Tower 42 and the Heron Tower both have restaurants / bars fairly high up, but they've both in the City, and will be very City party-ish in the week before Xmas.  So probably not very family friendly.

If you want a view over London try the London Eye.  Or a trip up the Tower Bridge towers.

If you want a decent meal, there are plenty of decent restaurants around Covent Garden (don't book between 1800 & 1930 so as to avoid the pre-theatre crowds), Brick Lane for some less fancy options, or the Charlotte St area for a range of decent and honest options.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    Emp_Fab;419605" said:
    Ninety quid ? - just to go in a fucking 'skyscraper' (and not even a proper one at that) ?

Where do these people find punters willing to cough up for that kind of extortion ?  They must have punters or they wouldn't keep the price that high.

That's just bonkers.

Have you actually seen The Shard Emp? It IS pretty big. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    Emp_Fab;419605" said:

That's just bonkers.

Have you actually seen The Shard Emp? It IS pretty big. ;)
    Piff! Tis but a pointy block of flats, mortal!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Hmmm. You could try to get invited to a meeting on the top floor of Centre Point.  ;)

I've been to a few there and that seriously is the best view I know in London. 

Surprisingly, the view from the top of the New Zealand Embassy at the bottom of Haymarket is very good too. But again, you're unlikely to get an invite there. 

BUT, just round the corner from there is the cafe at the top of the National Gallery (or is it the National Portrait Gallery?) which has pretty similar views just a bit more restricted. You pay only slightly higher marked up cafe prices. Okay it's not all round 360 degrees great, but you do get to look over the rooftops of the centre and Trafalgar Square which is quite good. 

I still don't think you can beat the Millennium Wheel on the Banks of the Thames if you want a Sky High view. A far better option than the Shard. 

Of course, a cheapskate suggestion would be to stand on Waterloo Bridge and take it in the view. The visitors I've taken there invariably say things along the lines of "what a messy dump" or "wow this really is one of the great spots on earth". Either way it gets a reaction, and it IS worth taking the time to do. 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Take the kids to Soho and introduce them to moustaches.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    I took Mrs B to Paris for her thirtieth birthday and we did the Montparnasse Tower tour.Watching the sun go down and the whole of Paris including the Eiffel tower lighting up from 700 feet up was a pretty magical experience.Well worth the trip for that alone.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I took Mrs B to Paris for her thirtieth birthday and we did the Montparnasse Tower tour.Watching the sun go down and the whole of Paris including the Eiffel tower lighting up from 700 feet up was a pretty magical experience.Well worth the trip for that alone.
    Yeah, that's a good one. London can't really offer anything like that or the Eiffel tower. 

The Cafe at the top of Galleries lafayette in the Opera district ain't bad for views either. 
  • Tower Bridge has decent views and is an interesting museum. Costs less than The Shard too.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    It's London isn't it?

The truly awesome moment (IMO) has probably not changed much in nearly 100 years. You get on one of the cheap(ish) open top double decker buses. You sit on the upper deck right at the front. When the bus turns left onto Parliament Square you suddenly have Big Ben right in your freaking face.

I say this point of view compares with any tourist attraction in the world because.....Well just because.
    I am willing to admit that I have not visited the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    The Heron Tower.

Click on Gallery on the left, then click on MENU and select the thumbnail pictures.

I'm not sure that kids would be permitted in the restaurant, due to the bar.

It is a pity that the revolving restaurant at the BT Tower is no longer in operation. About 2 years ago, I read in the London Evening Standard that there were plans afoot to reopen the restaurant.

Around 2009/2010, I took the lift to the top floor of the UCLH, at the corner of Euston Road & Tottenham Court Road (nearest Underground Station is Warren Street). It is free, and the view from there is fantastic on a clear day. 

Do take the kids to Hamley's, Regent Street.  :) 

• Cool.
    Looks like the kids are allowed in the SushiSamba restaurant on 38th floor but not the bar on the 39th floor.
    We went to Hamley's last year with them, but they're a bit older (15 and 12) than the target audience and it was mega busy. They'd be happy with a posh meal and good view over the city.
  • Take them to harrods and selfridges and shower them with gifts
    Old Is Gold
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Cool.
    Looks like the kids are allowed in the SushiSamba restaurant on 38th floor but not the bar on the 39th floor.
    We went to Hamley's last year with them, but they're a bit older (15 and 12) than the target audience and it was mega busy. They'd be happy with a posh meal and good view over the city.
    I think Hamley's in the run-up to Christmas is probably nuts. Even just trying to get past it on the footpath can be tricky.
    Regrettably the south bank roof bar is not open over winter (well, it might be a bit miserable if it was), as that's quite high and has a nice view.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'd have loved Hamleys as a 15 year old. I still would really.
    My V key is broken
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    holnrew said:
    I'd have loved Hamleys as a 15 year old. I still would really.
    Lots of cool stuff in there, I was in trying to find an X-box controller a few years ago and had a look around.