I have a problem with my nuts and my G string too !

What's Hot
I have a problem with my nuts and my G string too (oh… err… Mrs…)
(and it was so tempting to take this thread somewhere else… )

The slot for the G string has cut too deep (it's getting worse as I type !) and I am obviously getting fret buzz when open.

Genuine question, it's a very nice guitar but has this one issue.
I don't want to replace the nut, so is there any way to build up the string slot without too much compromise?  All the other strings are fine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085
    super glue and bicarbonate of soda .
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Superglue and paper works well. Put a drop of glue in the groove, fold a tiny piece of paper (string packet is ideal) round the string and stick it in. Take the string out, add a tiny drop more glue if it hasn't penetrated right through the paper, then when it's set file the whole thing into shape.

The glue/paper makes a strong composite, it's a very good repair and much less of a bodge than it sounds.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fnptfnpt Frets: 765
    I have a similar problem: my G string goes out of tune on the 1st and 2nd frets, intonation is fine on the 12th fret so it must be a nut problem right?

It's annoying because playing open chords involving fretting the G string always sound off. The action is fine though.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    fnpt said:
    I have a similar problem: my G string goes out of tune on the 1st and 2nd frets, intonation is fine on the 12th fret so it must be a nut problem right?

It's annoying because playing open chords involving fretting the G string always sound off. The action is fine though.
    Sounds like the nut is too high. Fret the G string at the third fret and look at the gap between the string and the first fret. If it's any more than the thickness of a piece of thin paper it's too high and you're actually bending the string just to get it down to the frets, so it will go sharp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085
    it could also be that the nut slot is cut incorrectly, so the string is vibrating from a point behind the leading edge of the nut
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 765
    Thanks, I'll check it when I get home.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2013
    Thanks guys, much appreciated, I'll do that.

@fnpt, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more reliable advice, or a better explanation, but for what it's worth...

1st point - going out of tune is probably the string getting pinched in the slot. Either judicial widening or the unfortunately named "Nut Sauce" (& I was so tempted to use that in the opening comments) or a similar commercial product, I have used WD40 before, and I believe that model makers use something that works well to.
    A question for @ICBM et al, do these products work well for the fulcrums on trem systems?

2nd point intonation - equal temperament has a lot to do with (especially) open G string tuning issues, high frets and finger pressure can exacerbate the problems (across the whole board, but especially near the nut) and the height of the slot cut from the board will affect that too, in the opposite way to my problem if it's too high.   edit: a good explanation above (as always) from ICBM on nut height, and Paul_C, hadn't thought of that, thanks
    EB Music Man have a natty compensated nut, and I believe you can buy them elsewhere to retrofit if you want.  I don't know the pros and cons of that though, any help out there?

Hope that helps a bit, and I am looking forward to further clarification from anyone else on here, please.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I'd just get a new nut fitted. Feline do those Earvana ones if you want compensated.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    WD40 is ok as a lubricant, although it's really better as a release agent and was actually designed as a water repellant. I find it dries out too quickly (and it stinks of course!). I tend to use very light machine oil on trem fulcrums...sewing machine oil is pretty good.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Beware of any mineral oil based products near wood. They will seep in and eventually soften the wood!
    Nut sauce, lipsil, graphite (pencil lead dust) all work well but a little goes a long way.

• Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

Modelmakers use a silicon based diff lube which works well
    They say: "The purest 100% silicone grease around."   >eBay link<  >seller: modelsport_uk<

In support of @Paul_C 's repair suggestion, here is a video of Dan Erlewine's Tech Tips - The baking soda and super glue trick
    He also repairs a 1920s ivory nut with bone dust and superglue.