Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Best Concerts You've Been To....

What's Hot

Comments

• Dire Straits 1992/93 (not sure exactly as I was 8/9) at Wembley Arena, blew my head off when they opened with Calling Elvis. Epic gig. Got to see them again at Ipswich Football ground aswell, amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Rammstein at Download a couple of years back.

I've seen Steel Panther a few times and they're always awesome, so honourable mention there

All practice and no theory
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23536
    edited December 2014
    Tigertailz with Steevi Jaimz - Marquee 1986 (just had the best time)
    Queensryche - Town and Country Club 1988 - unlike Philly Q I was at the front
    Thunder - Town and Country Club 1990

Lucky you on the Queensryche gig!

You've reminded me of a couple of things there, I think I was at that Tigertailz show too... or maybe I saw them at the Astoria?.... and I think I saw Luke Morley & Co in the pre-Thunder days as Terraplane.  So many gigs in those days I struggle to remember them.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31102
    I was lucky enough to be at Crowded House's Farewell to the World 1996.

Fucking epic.

It was amazing.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Gassage said:

Fucking epic.

It was amazing.
    Lucky swine. :) From the dvd it looked like an incredible show, but I bet the atmosphere must have been something else.
    edited December 2014
    mart said:
    Gassage said:

Fucking epic.

It was amazing.
    Lucky swine. :) From the dvd it looked like an incredible show, but I bet the atmosphere must have been something else.
    Dont' Dream was still being sung the next morning, and I am not joking.

What I'll never forget was Hester crying during the encore.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6409
    Gassage said:
    That was tragic in the context of what happened next, so sad :(
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Gassage said:

I can believe it. It's a great song, and loaded with emotion by an event like that ... it'd stay with you, I'm sure.

From the video it looks like they all were struggling with the emotions ... except for Finn, who seemed more in control. But then, I guess, he was. I have immense respect for him as a songwriter, but I couldn't help feeling sorry for the guys who he seemed to just ditch.
    mart said:
    Gassage said:

I can believe it. It's a great song, and loaded with emotion by an event like that ... it'd stay with you, I'm sure.

From the video it looks like they all were struggling with the emotions ... except for Finn, who seemed more in control. But then, I guess, he was. I have immense respect for him as a songwriter, but I couldn't help feeling sorry for the guys who he seemed to just ditch.
    it wasn't like that at all.

Basically Hester was a manic depressive. He refused to tour and Neil went with another drummer, Peter Jones. He didn't feel he wanted CH to exist without Hessie, who was back in Aus doing Aus's version of Jools Holland (Hessie's Shed). So Neil decided to can CH.

In addition, Nick Seymour's art career was blossoming and Mark Hart, despite being bloody amazing on any instrument, was not a proper part of the band.

When Paul died, it brought Hart and Seymour back together and they all decided to tour again. In fact, the 2007 album was great.

I'm very lucky re CH- one of my best mates, Jeremy Lascelles, who might be on a few people's radar as ex CEO of Chrysalis, publishes Neil. I play cricket with Jerry, so I've met Neil a few times (totally charming and we argued about strats and LP's all night) and I've been guestlisted countless times.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24829
    Prince at the O2
    Pantera at the first UK Ozzfest
    Hugh Laurie and the Copper Bottom Band, Oxford 
    Metallica at MOR 1991

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• REM Green Tour, Newport '89
    Pixies headlining Reading Festival set '90
    Nirvana, Norwich Waterfront '90
    My Bloody Valentine, UEA '91
    Mission Of Burma, ATP Festival '02
    Fugazi, Stratford Rex '05
    Springsteen, Millenium Stadium '08
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    Gassage said:
    it wasn't like that at all.
    Ah, that puts things in a different light, thanks. I knew about 
    Hester's depression, but didn't know the reasons behind them calling it a day, or the reunion. It's nice to hear that Neil Finn really is a nice bloke, even if obscenely talented. :)
    edited December 2014
    Nirvana, Norwich Waterfront '90
    Ah, that reminds me of one of my worst misses: I was in Barcelona early '94, and wondered about going to the Nirvana gig that February, but decided against it. Bad call.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73003
    Gassage said:
    When Paul died, it brought Hart and Seymour back together and they all decided to tour again. In fact, the 2007 album was great.
    I saw them on that tour, and they were fantastic - I never saw the original line-up though so I can't compare.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Wouldn't list it as one of my tops, but I saw Crowded House do an instore live set at HMV in Newcastle in the early 90's.

• I went to see Peter Gabriel on his 'Back to Front' tour in Birmingham last night. I saw the tour in Manchester last year as well and in terms of sound, production/lighting and musicianship, those shows have set a new bar for me. The biggest surprise is how great Peter's voice still is at nearly 65 - and that even within the setting of a large arena, he managed to make the venues feel intimate.

There are many truly great performances I've witnessed over the years but overall, these two rank as the best.

What what are yours?
    I'm sure you know this already, but he cancelled the previous show due to losing his voice… he was on great form at Brum. I went too, the man is amazing :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Apart from Peter Gabriel…

Steve Vai - Sex and Religion tour, Bristol. My first gig and it blew my mind.

Prince - O2 London. Consummate professional, he played my favourite b-side and made my night.

Oceansize - On the Self Preserved tour, their final one, at the O2 Academy, Brum. Although the album                        production left a lot to be desired, live it was like an out of body experience for me. Epic. 
  • thisisguitar;433178" said:
    I'm sure you know this already, but he cancelled the previous show due to losing his voice… he was on great form at Brum. I went too, the man is amazing :-)
    I did. I noticed early in the set he sang some things an octave lower - presumably to conserve his voice. I was actually meant to meet him - it was cancelled due to his illness. Bugger....
  • Without question Ben Howard at the Kaufleuten in Zurich in 2012. Hands down the single most hot, intense, atmospheric and draw dropping gig I've been to.  

After that my first ever gig was Bon Jovi at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 1996 was special for all sorts of reasons, but I think my 36 year old cynical self would now not be so impressed...but I was such a fan then :)

I also saw First Aid Kit this year in a tiny venue in Zurich called the Plaza, that was a surprisingly awesome show.

Raul Midon also gets a mention for sheer awesomeness of ability. 

• Didn't someone make a kaufleuten on the Great British Bake Off ?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom