Hudl - any good?

What's Hot
Thinking of a cheap tablet for family use - bit of games, YouTube, surfing. Basic stuff really.
I've got enough tesco vouchers to get a Hudl free. Are they any good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7054
    edited December 2014
    Haha I got the email from Tesco advising I could get one.

Must admit I'm tempted - although we don't actually need one with 2 other tablets in the household.

Sorry can't help with feedback. I notice a bit of difference in our Samsung and iPad. The iPad just feels slicker in use.

But then again work paid for it and it cost twice as much as the Samsung.

I'm interested to hear how the hudl compares to both.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Same here really but thinking is that I could just let the kids loose with it and not worry what happens to it
    Yep our 3 year old likes to chuck the tablet about! She's not allowed near the work one...

You can get some pretty rugged cases for tablets - not sure why I didn't get one.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I've bought one for my son's Christmas present. I've had a play around on it so it was ready Christmas day and was quite impressed. Lots of good parent controls on it, smooth, fast. It's never going to be an iPad killer but it does really well doing the jobs 90% of people use a tablet for.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited December 2014
    I got one for my birthday and finding it pretty good, really nippy and responsive. It replaced my ageing iPad 2 and kicks its ass big time in all but screen size.

Having an card slot is very good and you can use up to 32GB SDHC cards.

Grerat for consuming media and it handles most up to date games very well.

Battery life is not as good as an iPad but more than acceptable.

For kids it has a function where you tell the app the childs age and it sets all the security and level of content access appropriately and you can limit the online hours time to.

It is so good for the price we are getting one for our 6 year old grandson from Santa.

Not the best peforming tablet out there but unbeatable for the money, especially if you have sufficient Tesco Clubcard points to get it a half price.

Edit

Apologies I am talking about the Hudl2 here and should have made that clear.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    The latest gen Hudl is meant to be very good.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited December 2014
    We have 2 latest gen hudl 2s, I have been used to top tier tablets since the first ipad, but these things have the ability to do some serious damage to The tablet market, they are just as good as any of the other brands, latest games run flawless and its fast as heck,
    I have heard Tesco don't make a profit on them and for the price I can see why.

They will never replace my macbook air for productivity, but you don't buy a tablet for productivity, you buy it for casual gaming, surfing, and a cheeky wank on the toilet.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I bought one of the last generation and was totally underwhelmed TBH, but as my first tablet I'd nothing to compare it against except my iPhone.  It developed a fault after about 2 weeks, kept switching itself off.  Took the opportunity to get my money back.   Spent a further £60 on a second hand 3rd gen, iPad which is totally superior in all aspects.  However, I do hear that the new Hudl is a siginificant improvement over the first gen.
    Thanks all. Think I'll take the plunge - off to tesco later with a fistful of vouchers.
    How did you get on? I had a 30 second play in store today and they seemed pretty decent. Felt well put together and responsive.
  • We've bought the kids Hudle 2s for Christmas. I booted them up, put account details in and generally set them up a few weeks ago so I don't have to do it Christmas Eve.

I was very impressed with the tablets, they seemed responsive, good build quality and a great screen - certainly worth the money. 

@Iamnobody
    Popped into tesco for a look. They looked fine to me especially for what we want it for.
    Thought better of joining the queues and will order 1 online tonight.
    Now.....… what colour [-(
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    monofin said:
    @Iamnobody
    Popped into tesco for a look. They looked fine to me especially for what we want it for.
    Thought better of joining the queues and will order 1 online tonight.
    Now.....… what colour [-(
    Pink
    My V key is broken
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1817
    I ordered one on cyber monday as they had an offer on technology&electricals. It should be arriving today, but then it should have arrived last friday, then saturday... I'll believe it when I see it. It seems that they didn't really have the stock to cope with their deals and Yodel haven't been able to cope with all the deliveries either apparently. Although as long as it arrives in time for me to set it up for my littlun by Christmas then I don't mind.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • How does the Hudl2 compare to the Kindle one?

Thinking of getting my wife a tablet for her birthday, I'd like to get another iPad as my 2nd gen gets used all the time but can't stretch to that sort of money.

•  

I've just done the same as @Grumpyrocker - Bought 2 and set them up for the kids for xmas.  The parantal controls are really good, you get a parents log on then select what the kids can go on, which apps and for how long.  They look pretty slick and having a quick go of a game, they seem smoother and more powerful than an Ipad 2.

I'm impressed, they seem fast and responsive

Just placed the order.

Cost me £0! zero! nought! zilch!

Feels good to get something for nothing for once