Anybody played in a Jazz big band

What's Hot
I've potentially got the opportunity to play in a jazz big band (Benny Goodman style). However I've never played that style before. They thankfully will supply chord charts (can't read music) any particular tips on how to move from a blues/rock style over to big band jazz?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16284
     yon Cunt Basie did for a few years
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The chord charts will probably have all sorts of scary looking extensions 11ths 13ths etc but so long as you recognise what's major, minor and dominant you can for the most part get away with simplifications. For diminisheds, remember that if you raise the root of a dominant by a semitone you can make a diminished eg D#dim is D7 with the root sharpened, leave the other notes alone.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Yup.

Drums, piano, 14 saxes, trumpet, trombone, guitar, bass. 

Loved it.

Listen to as much as you can and start to read music!  10 mins reading per day and you'll get the hang of it quickly.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5138
    edited December 2014
    Listen to as much as you can and start to read music!  10 mins reading per day and you'll get the hang of it quickly.
    +1

If you're looking to play in a big band setting, you don't want to be the only one who can't read!

Yep, guitarists, they're looking at you ;)

So keep it as simple as you can get away with for starters until you can get with the extensions (9ths, 11ths 13ths, sus and add, etc...)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9083
    Just because the chord has an extension doesn't mean that you have to play it. Quite often the keys or another instrument will be playing that note. If often helps if the guitar can keep things simple, and play three or four-note chords
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Roland said:
    Just because the chord has an extension doesn't mean that you have to play it. Quite often the keys or another instrument will be playing that note. If often helps if the guitar can keep things simple, and play three or four-note chords
    What he said. Practice counting bars, that's the main thing.

Guitar = rhythm section in a big band unless you are soloing.

It's an awesome feeling though when it all locks together !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    No.

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    edited December 2014
    Jazz seems to focus on clear note runs.  When soloing, clean picking is key rather than the slurring you might favour with o/d.  Practice your solos clean.

Great opportunity.   Have a good time.

edit: @bingefeller the Freddie Green site looks worth perusing.  Good find.
  • I would also suggest trying triads or at least cut-down versions of the 6-string bar-chords you might be used to. could get muddy otherwise .. just play enough to characterise the chord
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    Learn this chord: xx7788. Play it in random positions on the neck at random points in the music for random lengths of time. If it sounds disastrously wrong, quickly move it up one fret. Sounds very convincing!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    I've played in a few bag jizz bands
    "OUR TOSSPOT"