Where can I learn how not to kill people?

What's Hot
In a car that is :D I've just applied for my provisional, now my dad and I are trying to think of where I can learn the basics of how to drive with him.
Best option so far is a Costco car park at 1am. Any better ideas?
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8624
    Well, I know you're not far away, and if any Saturday morning is anything to go by you simply must learn to drive in Pinner. ITS FUCKING FULL OF LEARNER FUCKING DRIVERS, PLEASE DO ALL FUCK OFF.

As you were, and good luck.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    An empty supermarket car park is ideal provided it's fairly open rather the ones with little ornamental hedges and saplings and stuff (ie, things you can hit). Once you get the hang of the clutch and gears, you can practice maneuvering using the parking bays as guides. There are usually some junction type bits as well, which you can drive up to, do the left/right check, and pull out.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    GTAV online.

wait, you want to learn NOT to kill people? 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited December 2014
    The big Tesco car park down the road, early evening on a Sunday (closes at 4).
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25017
    Any industrial estates near you?  They have actual roads - unlike a car park - but they're relatively quiet in the evenings and at weekends.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    There's a thing for 11-17 year olds to learn to drive near here. I hate to think that there are 11 year olds doing more driving than me at the moment.

I used the local college carpark at the weekend.
    My V key is broken
  • The A34 on a Friday from Lunchtime to about 7.  You've got no chance of any fast moving traffic on there.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It was disused airfields in Norfolk for me. You probably don't have many of those down your way though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • holnrew said:
    I used the local college carpark at the weekend.
    Why did you make no mention of this in the 'Who Went Dogging Last Weekend?' thread?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Just drive on the roads and if you get caught pretend you're eastern European.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2518
    Industrial estate is a good shout.
    My best recommendation is a farm, in a knackered hillman avenger.
    I could corner like Colin McRae before I had a license :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    edited December 2014
    FX_Munkee said:

I went to school with someone who passed on their 17th birthday. Allegedly learned to drive on a farm.
    When I did my CBT the first bits where on a car park and much of the rest on a quiet housing estate ( although parked cars can be a bugger if in a car) and on an industrial estate on a Saturday.
    The experience taught me how not to kill myself or others by never riding a motorbike ever again.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2518
    FX_Munkee said:

I went to school with someone who passed on their 17th birthday. Allegedly learned to drive on a farm.
    When I did my CBT the first bits where on a car park and much of the rest on a quiet housing estate ( although parked cars can be a bugger if in a car) and on an industrial estate on a Saturday.
    The experience taught me how not to kill myself or others by never riding a motorbike ever again.
    I needed 2 lessons before I took my test, to learn how to play nicely with the other cars.
    and, yes, the adage of "ride as if everybody is trying to kill you" is only funny until you realise it's actually true.

And for the OP, I'd try somewhere very quiet to learn how to steer and use the clutch/gears/gas. Then you need to get out there with the traffic I'm afraid. 90% of good driving is experience IMHO
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • My Dad took me up to some little deserted road on the moors at first, then as soon as he was confident I could handle the clutch just went driving. Get on the road asap, don't mince about.
    Use Your Brian
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Hertz32 said:
    In a car that is :D I've just applied for my provisional, now my dad and I are trying to think of where I can learn the basics of how to drive with him.
    Best option so far is a Costco car park at 1am. Any better ideas?
    Go to an industrial estate with office blocks - they'll be empty at the weekends. You can drive in the car parks and on the service roads.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!