Booked flights for Japan today

What's Hot
Me, Mrs Burgo and Sproggers are off to Japan for 3 weeks in the school hols next year, we've booked the flights today. Have yet to figure out an itinerary. Planning on 5 nights in Tokyo to start off and then some sort of circular trek bringing us back to Tokyo to go home.

So @Drew_fx  obvs knows a bit about Japan. Suggestions welcome dude! Anybody else been?

Would like to scrape some GAS funds together to pick up a Tokai LP jr but that may be a pipe dream, can't wait though it will be awesome!

Flying with Lufthansa, got the flights for £2500 for all of us which is pretty damn cheap. To fly with BA was almost double that.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    My band mates brother lives there, married with kids to a Japanese girl. Second hand gear is ridiculously cheap-youll have a great time-very jealous, would love to visit the country

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Not much to add that I didn't put in the other thread tbh.

Guitars - Ochanomizu. It's on the Chuo line. Go from Shinjuku, platform 8-10 (iirc) of the JR Lines; towards Mt. Takao.
    Comics - Akihabara. Loads of comic book shops there.
    Takao Mountain is nice. long walk up to the top, some sake and ice-cream and what not... back down in a cable car. Yokohama has some nice walks too.
    You *HAVE* to take your kids to the Ghibli Museum. I fucking loved it, and I just turned 30. Buy tickets before you fly out though, that's what we did.

Pics:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I trust you're riding the shinkansen at some point?
    My V key is broken
  • When are you out there? If it's early Sept I'll grab a pint with you in Golden Gai somewhere.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    A bit before then @Cabbagecat, July/August
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • One word of warning with buying second hand guitars in Japan is to check carefully for any excessive strain on the neck joint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uAv_GJlQ_Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=33

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Is she playing that through a Roland Pube?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2111
    Using a fuzz box ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31584
    I hope you are going Business Class.

Anyone who turns right when entering a long haul aircraft has reached the bottom of life's barrel.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:

Anyone who turns right when entering a long haul aircraft has reached the bottom of life's barrel.
    Ive turned right on every long haul flight Ive been on, Singapore, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Canada. it ain't so bad. I think it's pretty clear from the price that we aren't going business class. A Boss pedal to your Cornish you might say.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31584
    LOL_ when I co-owned our Dance and Choreog biz, we used to send artists everywhere. So we'd book the tickets, claim the airmiles and every Xmas, 1st class to wherever we wanted to go....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Aah well, the rest of us barrel scrapers have to make do and mend Sir.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 365
    Meanwhile....

Enoshima Island is a pleasant breath of fresh-air within an hour, or so, of Tokyo.

I always fancied going to Hiroshima, too.
  • I think barrel scraping is a worthy and sadly declining trade, as the X5s and Range Rovers parked outside the local council flats clearly indicate.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited December 2014
    Gassage said:

Awesome work on the snobbery sir, well done. When the bottom of the barrel has a significantly greater content than all the rest of the barrel one knows that ones chin has finally squeezed past ones sphincter.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Yeah, but what about the trains?
    My V key is broken
  • holnrew said:
    Yeah, but what about the trains?
    It's a massive hassle getting a train to Japan.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    The last few planes I've been on, I had to walk through First and Business-Class to get to Cattle-Class. I reckon it's a cruel teaser by the airlines to show you what you can never afford.

• Take a Shinkansen to Kansai region. Spend at least a day in Nara, a couple in Kyoto and one in Kobe. I used to live in Osaka but really there isn't much to see there, except for the aquarium which I like.. It's more of a party city. Don't be afraid to try some of the street food. Very cheap and usually very good. Takoyaki is really nice but let it cool down before you eat it as you will burn the shite out your mouth.

HImeji castle would be worth a visit and is about 40 minutes away from Kobe. It's the most impressive castle in Japan by far.

Hiroshima is also a surprisingly nice city. The A-bomb museum is worth a visit but you may be surprised at the slightly upbeat manner of some of the Japanese tourists. Eat in Okonomiyaki-Mura if you go. Its an entire building where every restaurant only sells Okonomiyaki. Pretty odd place to see only one thing being sold, but it's cheap and filling.

Don't bother going to Nagoya if that was part of your plan. It's a big city but nothing really going for it.

Music shops in Japan are excellent. Japanese still like to hear music with instruments, so there are still plenty of guitar shops everywhere. Mikki Gakki and Ishibashi are two chains which have just about everything.
  • Gassage said:

Lol, would you describe yourself as a particularly worldly person then?
    Use Your Brian