SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold Carr Rambler Serial No 097 (Price Drop for Christmas)

What's Hot
SammySammy Frets: 134
edited January 2015 in Amps £
This is the 1x12 Combo in Blonde Tolex and was the first Carr Rambler to be imported to the UK in 2003, before they arranged any dealerships over here!
I originally bought this in June 2003 after I had seen various reviews and also spoke several times to Steve Carr about the amp. Steve advised me that at that time, they had never shipped to the UK so they actually didn't have a 240v transformer model and because of this I couldn't buy from them direct, so would have to go through one of their USA dealers. He was very helpful and I bought it from Chuck Levins Washington Music Centre. Therefore it has a very good step down transformer which I purchased in the UK.

Being one of the early models, 097 within the first 100 built, it has the original Kingpin 60 speaker specially designed, which many say was the best speaker for the Rambler, but unfortunately they were discontinued for some reason and Steve could no longer get anymore, hence he had to change the speaker in Rambler.

The only alteration I have ever had done, was putting in a new speaker lead, within the first three months. I thought it sounded a little bit light on the bass side and emailed Steve. He called me and told me that he had recently been testing various cables and found one particular cable that made quite a bit of difference to the quality of sound and was going to install them in the Carrs from now on, even though that little bit of cable was costing him an extra US$40. As mine still had the older speaker cable in he sent me one over free of charge, but told me they were quite difficult to solder through the tags as the lead was so thick. I therefore enlisted at the time, the help of a certain very well known amp tech Jesse, builder of the now Lazy J amps, I am presuming most of you know of them, to complete the task.
In fact Jesse was so impressed with the sound and quality of the amp and told me it was one of the best combos he had heard, and asked if he could take it apart and have a good look etc, can't remember if I let him or not!, but he fixed the new cable for me and we both agreed it sounded even better, a more fuller sound.

I don't have to tell anyone who knows these combos, they are one of the best amps out there and I have never had any problems, apart from putting two new 6L6's in, don't think I even needed them, plus changing a few preamp tubes over the years that gave up the ghost.

The combo is virtually the same condition as when I bought it in 2003, apart from two marks on the top at each corner. These appeared about a year after I got the amp and after speaking to someone at Carr and someone over here, it is assumed that it is some reaction to the glue on the corner joints of the tolex as the amp gets hot. As I said, they appeared within the first year and have been there ever since.
It comes with the original manual, tremelo footswitch and I also had a cover made for it from a local upholsterer.

Whilst some people may prefer to have the 240V model as it is now supplied, this USA 110 voltage model actually sounds better! Don't ask me how, but I compared it several years ago and it did. I asked about this to an old amp tech and he confirmed the same amps can sound different with different transformers,he did explain my why in amp tech speak something to do with voltage to parts/valves whatever, thats why he said old USA voltage fenders often sounded better than their UK voltage counterparts!

This is probably the best combo I have ever owned, plus the longest, so why am I selling now!

I moved house about three years ago and I now don't have a room like I use to where I kept and played my various amps and guitars. So for the last three years it has just been sitting in my box room. Its too big for the lounge, so I have just bought a small compact very lightweight combo which I can just fit in my lounge and if I play out, which hasn't been much lately, I use my Tone King Imperial, as it is lighter to carry, with my poor back, plus I don't need to take my pedal board, which is also probably going to go next!

This is real quality amp in all respects and probaly will become a collectors item, being one of the first 100 to be built and in this condition. I will be very sorry to see it go, but its no good just sitting there not being used. I am looking for £1,200 and am 99.99% positive whoever comes and tries it will walk away happy, with the amp in his hand.

Have now added link for pics, see my post below Thanks

Am willing to accept best offer over £1,000 for a sale quick sale, that is less than half the price of a new one, plus as mentioned this early model sounds better! May also throw in an unused USA 12" Emminence Red White & Blue speaker, which I bought many years ago to try in another combo I had.

Sorry I can't really ship, haven't got any suitable sized or strong enough boxes anyway, so it would have to be collected.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Sounds wonderful !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    Great amps as are all Carrs GLWTS
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Sammy,

I'm probably one of the forums biggest Carr fanboys, and I'm a few weeks into my second Rambler. Mind blowing amps. You need some pics up here mate... GLWTS

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited December 2014
    Collected from Croydon? I couldn't read that in the blurb - found it in your page.

Good luck with the sale :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • SammySammy Frets: 134
    Sammy,

I'm probably one of the forums biggest Carr fanboys, and I'm a few weeks into my second Rambler. Mind blowing amps. You need some pics up here mate... GLWTS

I wish I could, have some good photos, but don't belong to any website where you can load pics from! So can only forward them to an email address!

edited December 2014
    frankus said:
    Collected from Croydon? I couldn't read that in the blurb - found it in your page.

Good luck with the sale
    Sorry forgot to include that, new to this site.

@-) :-$ :( :( :(
    edited December 2014
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s415.photobucket.com/user/Toneprince/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Hopefully the above link should work for pics, as found a site I had used many years ago!
    :)
    Just reduced price for quick sale, see main details.
    :)
    Have had interest but unfortunately can't ship it! Sorry it would have to really be collected.
    :-<
  • mattmatt Frets: 0
    Hi - I've messaged you - I'm new to the site so I hope it gets to you
  • Sammy said:
    Have had interest but unfortunately can't ship it! Sorry it would have to really be collected.
    ...from...? sorry if i've missed it in the blurb but where is the amp located??
    mickster said:
    Sammy said:
    ...from...? sorry if i've missed it in the blurb but where is the amp located??
    Shirley, Croydon, Surrey Area
    edited December 2014
    Have had two offers but need a bit more!

This is an amazing combo one of the best clean sounds of any combo this size at 28watts, and takes all pedals with ease check all the reviews! Plus at the flick of switch you can change the amp to Triode mode half power 14watts.

They very rarely come up s/h and its a steal for what I am asking you won't see any others for this sort of price.
    This is my special price for Christmas period only.

Also forgot have all the original bill of sale and paper work if required.
    :o3

Mate, as one Carr owner to another... Here you go !
    Thank you kind Sir, I found my very old website I once used for some pics, but apart from being able to provide a link to the pics, I couldn't work out how to actually put them up on here!
    :D