Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jools tonight

What's Hot

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2813
    Give me the creative, individualistic and musically interesting over the technically proficient any day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ewal said:
    Give me the creative, individualistic and musically interesting over the technically proficient any day.

Totally agree.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    ewal said:
    I definitely agree but still don't like the Pixies!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    Another week's now. Gone from enjoying almost everything last week to finding Chas and Dave running through a skiffle song the best thing on there 
    :-L

If anybody can explain Franz Ferdinand's backline to me though as my interest was piqued.
    :bz
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388

If anybody can explain Franz Ferdinand's backline to me though as my interest was piqued.
    :bz
    They're just props. As far as I know the real guitar amps are Fender Devilles - not sure about the bass amp, I think he used an old Simms Watts PA head at one point, but that could have been for show too.

I liked Franz and Goldfrapp, but they've both done better stuff. I'll watch the extended version anyway though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I though last nights episode was the worst one for a long while, there's usually something to keep me interested but nothing happening at all. 

On another point though, I'm pretty sure that Jamie from The Creamery supplied Alex Kapranos with the pickups in that Tele he was playing last night. 
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189
    edited October 2013
    Lixarto said:
    Just watched it.

Tony Joe White - excellent.
    That Man & the Savages - excellent.
    Hugh Laurie - very good.

The rest was pretty poor. The Female Amphetamine Elvis was terrible, the Pixies were ok, but their lead guitarist cannot play, and that electro lot need to go back to the 1980s.

So, a mixed bag.

this

except that Hugh Laurie, and the Savages lot were also poor. As for that female Canadian James Brown wannabe ... all I could see and hear was this ...

Song wasn't bad, but the performance was dire

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 319
    I though last nights episode was the worst one for a long while, there's usually something to keep me interested but nothing happening at all. 

On another point though, I'm pretty sure that Jamie from The Creamery supplied Alex Kapranos with the pickups in that Tele he was playing last night. 
    Yup, last night was arse.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 697
    Any Fran's Ferdinand fans on here? I don't like any of their stuff anyway but every time I se them on tv live they sound bloody awful.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7338
    ftumch said:
    Any Fran's Ferdinand fans on here? I don't like any of their stuff anyway but every time I se them on tv live they sound bloody awful.
    Just saw that and thought exactly the same.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2813
    stonevibe said:
    ftumch said:
    While I don't actively listen to FF, I really appreciate what they do. The fact that I spent a very drunken week on the Caledonian Canal in the company of Alex (amongst many others) has no bearing on my view whatsoever:)

As for the Later with Jools formula - I think it grew very tired and became very safe many many years ago... It makes Whistle Test appear cutting edge. The last decent music programme on the BBC was SnubTV and that's a fact.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe said:
    ftumch said:

It's official then, they're shit:)
  • FezFez Frets: 572
    Bring back the Whistle test & Rock goes to College.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5222
    edited October 2013
    I saw Tom Petty on Rock Goes To College at Oxford Poly in the late 70s/early 80s. Fab stuff but was at about 4 in the afternoon which felt a bit odd. Edit: 1980, just looked it up.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Eeee... Snub TV! Yeah, that was good. I've got a VHS of SnubTV somewhere. Shame I don't have a VHS player...

I only ever watch Jools on iPlayer so I can fast forward; terrible, I know, but I really  don't want to see stuff like him and Hugh Grant or whoever was on chumming it up on the Piano. 

I saw the Franz Ferdinand stuff on the 'Live' show, and first thought "Oo! Wire", then " Oh, Elastica" before my brain recognised FF. TBH I don't mind them- they're harmless.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    ftumch said:
    Yes, I really like them. I think they generally sound good on TV too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    Take me out goes down well in the pubs. I'm always surprised by how badly they do their own stuff though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

It's all Peruvian throat singers tonight. Sing from the lungs and enunciate for fuksake! Quite annoying.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    Good performance from John Newman  (I do a version of his first track in one of my bands and he was a student at my previous school) the rest hasn't been my cup of tea....
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10007
    Franz Ferdinand sounded pretty good to me, and so did the Pixies. I've had a a bit of a crush on Kim Shattuck for years so my judgment is clouded though.

Anyway, I just caught up with last week - what were the acoustic guitars that James Dean Bradfield was playing?