Nighthawks

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28396
    I never like the look of a guitar body that small. Just doesn't look right to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have wanted one for a while, sadly funds don't yet allow...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Voxman said:
    Epiphone do a Nighthawk Custom Reissue for £299.  Whilst I haven't played one it sounds pretty good in the spec with an ebony board, AAA maple top, all the right switching gear etc.  When I get a new job, maybe I'll treat myself if it plays nicely & sounds good:

Yeah I've been looking at them myself. Some as low as £269, which seems a good deal for something with that spec. Just I'd really want to try it first, and that's a bit of a sticking point.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1740
    edited January 2015
    I have played an Epi reissue a few years ago and it felt reasonble with that slightly clunky Epiphone feel  that they all have .They look good and are well finished.I always feel Epiphone woody bits are excellent and the rest utter junk but worth some upgrading if possible .
           Young Seymour Duncan sells a slopey JB to stick in it .
  • I think this site is out of date and it has since been sold. I nearly bought this one not so long ago http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk/guitarshop/1994_RORY_GIBSON_NIGHTHAWK.html
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25095
    I think this site is out of date and it has since been sold. I nearly bought this one not so long ago http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk/guitarshop/1994_RORY_GIBSON_NIGHTHAWK.html
    Try as I might, I can't imagine Rory Gallagher with a Gibson Nighthawk.

• I had one in my shop back in the 90's. Got everyone to play and talk strats, then made them stand other side of door and say which Strat I was playing, none of them guessed I was using a Nighthawk ;) Pissed them all right off!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 1012
    Sid Griffin played one when I saw Long Riders in Dublin. He made it sound like a Tele to be honest. I tried an Epiphone one in Exeter today and it didn't sound like a Tele. Not sure if it was the guitar or the Blackstar I playedthrough. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. I still think the best guitar to sound like a Tele is a USA Standard. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    It looks like they couldn't decide what guitar to make, so they made all the guitars..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2436
    I had the epi nighthawk for a short time,  everything was spot on, couldn't find one negative, oh wait.... it was purple.. 

superbly flexible guitar and I'll definitely own another in a less Liberace colour. 
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @Sarge said:
    I had the epi nighthawk for a short time,  everything was spot on, couldn't find one negative, oh wait.... it was purple.. 

superbly flexible guitar and I'll definitely own another in a less Liberace colour. 
    Matched your eyes though...

• rossirossi Frets: 1740
    JookyChap said:
    @Sarge said:

he told me it matched his lipstick
    rossi said:
    JookyChap said:
    @Sarge said:

he told me it matched his lipstick
    Jesus Christ!  that was said in the utmost confidence, thanks guys.... pshht
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JookyChap said:
    @Sarge said:

I said I have swastika eyes, not purple eyes! 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    Sarge said:

I bought it and it was brilliant.  Good sounds, very playable, nice weight; ooh and it was purple.  Foolishly, I thought I didn't get on with 25.5" neck and traded it which I deeply regret now.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28434
    Sid Griffin played one when I saw Long Riders in Dublin. He made it sound like a Tele to be honest. I tried an Epiphone one in Exeter today and it didn't sound like a Tele. Not sure if it was the guitar or the Blackstar I playedthrough. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. I still think the best guitar to sound like a Tele is a USA Standard
    To be fair, a USA Std Tele does rather define the sound of a Tele, so it's going to have a bit of a headstart if you're comparing something else in terms of whether it sounds like a Tele or not!

I've no personal experience of the Epi model, but the p'ups and switching combinations on the original Gibson version (and I do have one of those) is very flexible, and using the tapped bridge p'up will get close to a "Tele sound", particularly if you've got your FX & amp set-up to achieve that.

Sarge said:

I remember that one - once seen ...

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited July 2016
    Should also disclose that I'm a fan of the shape / size - works much better for me than a full fat LP.

I bought one of these in Epi form after giving up hope of finding a Gibson equivalent;

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 1012
    @ttony yeah. I got high-expectations. A coil-tapped GSG does an almost-there nothing-like Tele, and I am also looking a reason not to buy another guitar to sit gathering dust (although it's effing hard not to).
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    Had the 3 pu special for around 15 years. 
    My first 'proper' guitar. 
    It was a great sounding guitar, loved the weight, the looks, the tones. 
    Ive got a spare bridge pickup to sell. 
    Unused boxed, Gibson 57 classic for Nighthawk. In zebra. 
    Never got round to fitting it and forgot I had it. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.