Paint stripper

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited January 2015
    p90fool said:
    Maynehead;478449" said:
    The answer to your question is, none. They've all had lacquered necks.

But again, that wasn't what I was trying to advocate. I was simply giving a theoretical example of an ideal situation to aid my point that he does not need to overly worry about keeping the old paint in there. What is more important is having a flat surface and good contact as, if nothing else, it helps to keep the neck stable due to increased friction.

I can't help but get the feeling you've read one too many posts made by tone fanatics preaching the holy grail of neck pocket etiquette... Well rest assured I am not one of those people. In fact even my stage guitar has a piece of card stuffed in the neck pocket as to me, a good string action is a lot more important than any kind of wood on wood contact! (Hmm, that just sounds wrong doesn't it...) :\">
    I think you've missed the point all the way through tbh. He's not trying to preserve the paint in the neck pocket, he's trying to preserve the original paint of the whole guitar body while removing the additional hand painted layers.
    He only mentioned the neck pocket because it's the only area where you can see the original colour.

At least that's the way I read it.
    LOL, I think you are right, sorry, I seemed to have made a fuss over nothing!  :))

At least it has sparked an interesting debate which I have enjoyed. 
    :-bd

Thanks for pointing out my epic fail though! Have a wisdom from me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    I remember reading somewhere that you can use a piece of sandpaper glued in the neck pocket to keep necks from moving around.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    Sassafras;478512" said:
    I remember reading somewhere that you can use a piece of sandpaper glued in the neck pocket to keep necks from moving around.
    You could. But 4 screws generally works better ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32376
    Maynehead;478511" said:
    p90fool said:

Maynehead;478449" said:The answer to your question is, none. They've all had lacquered necks.

But again, that wasn't what I was trying to advocate. I was simply giving a theoretical example of an ideal situation to aid my point that he does not need to overly worry about keeping the old paint in there. What is more important is having a flat surface and good contact as, if nothing else, it helps to keep the neck stable due to increased friction.

I can't help but get the feeling you've read one too many posts made by tone fanatics preaching the holy grail of neck pocket etiquette... Well rest assured I am not one of those people. In fact even my stage guitar has a piece of card stuffed in the neck pocket as to me, a good string action is a lot more important than any kind of wood on wood contact! (Hmm, that just sounds wrong doesn't it...) :\">

I think you've missed the point all the way through tbh. He's not trying to preserve the paint in the neck pocket, he's trying to preserve the original paint of the whole guitar body while removing the additional hand painted layers.

He only mentioned the neck pocket because it's the only area where you can see the original colour.

At least that's the way I read it.

LOL, I think you are right, sorry, I seemed to have made a fuss over nothing!  :))

At least it has sparked an interesting debate which I have enjoyed.  :-bd

Thanks for pointing out my epic fail though! Have a wisdom from me!
    Lol not at all, it's an interesting side debate. We do try to stay on topic around here but some of the best threads have been ones which flew off at a tangent.

And welcome, by the way.
    :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Sassafras said:
    Yes. It works very well on guitars with badly fitting neck pockets where the neck can move around even with the screws done up as tight as you can. ie 70s Fenders :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @P90fool is correct.
    I'm only trying to remove the rough paint the previous owner has covered it in.
    The neck pocket is the only area i can see the original colour/paint.
    I'm using a tx10 paint and varnish stripper and i've used it on a patch behind the trem but so far there's no trace of the original paint, it goes to bare sanded wood.
    Looks like the previous owner went to great effort to remove the finish but then did a crappy paint job.
  • I used nitromors on a platinum Lester some years ago now with great success. Just have to leave it on for a while and remove the paint while it's still plastic a bit at a time.