One song to the tune of another

What's Hot
You know how some songs of the similar genre sound the same as others in the same genre? Well at band practice last night we played a song, decided we had it sorted, then discussed the intro to the next song on the list, and proceeded to play it. The chord progression was similar, except the first song was in D and this next one was in C. We noticed that the singer got to the end of the first verse before we'd finished playing the first verse ... it was then that he realised he'd been singing the words of the song in D, to the tune of the song in C.  Huge merriment all round, especially as two of us are ISIHAC fans. :)
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Was the rehearsal room in Mornington Crescent?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    In my old ska band the singer used to insert bits of Cliff's Young Ones into the Specials (/ whoever did it originally) Enjoy Yourself which used to crack me up. I'm also fond of that version of pinball wizard sung over Folsom prison blues that someone posted on here a while back.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Our singer did practically our entire set using the lyrics of Angel by Robbie Williams once....which is tricky with all the weird time sig parts and whatnot.

We also get "treated" to the lyrics from cross town traffic or holy diver sometimes.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    There's a whole series of 'Mashup's' on You tube. Some are funny and some are just downright cool.

This is a great creative idea for any band.

The best one i ever heard was the lyrics and tune to 'Wonderwall' sung to the backing tune of 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams'
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8092
    I band I was in used to cover No Diggety and because the original has no bass line I started with one of my own making, but then moved on to adding other classic bits of bass to see if anyone noticed.

First up was Come Together, but by the end I could mix in Seven Nation Army, Feel Good Inc., Another One Bites The Dust and, most memorably, Word Up - the singer heard me doing it and, much to my surprise and amusement, spontaneously started singing the song (along with the backing singers) before we dropped back to No Diggety.

:)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 377
    There's a vid on YouTube of Bruno Mars (on guitar) and his band launching into Smells Like Teen Spirit and proceeding to sing Billie Jean over it, it's a belter!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Phil X does this on some of his vids for the guitar shop he plugs. Very clever if you can do it!

• I once considered doing the intro to 'Time' by Pink Floyd, and after the drums kick in going straight into the theme from Captain Scarlet...
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2015
    Our singer started singing a verse from Billy Idol's White Wedding while we were playing Rebel Yell at a gig before Xmas, that put the bass player off who switched to the bass line of White Wedding leaving me and the drummer shaking our heads at each other. Same key and similar pace so we managed to pull it back for a chorus...no one dancing seemed to notice!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140

On a similar note, a few years ago we used to do some numbers for which I'd use an acoustic guitar. This required a couple of minutes for me to make the change from electric between songs.

Unfortunately, I found that the rest of the band would charge on regardless, while I struggled to change guitars, and end up starting the songs without me. So, to remind the rest of them which ones were 'acoustic', thus requiring a change of guitar, I did a set list, and printed those tracks in red (actually, I used to use very large black print due to the eyesight of the band members, but that's another story).

This was all well and good, but the first outing of this new procedure, it turned out the drummer had a red stage light shining on the list, and so each time we finished a song, he started playing the next track on the set list that he could see.

We've not been back to that venue since.

• PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    Over the drum intro to Golden Earring's Radar Love I discovered the other night you can sing the first verse of Racer's Some Girls.
  • We used to do soul asylums runaway train, and as the guitarist would sing it, me and main singer would sing Val Doonicans runaway train to him from either side, used to put him right off =))
  • You can do living on a prayer to basically any other bon jovi track.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Our singer started singing a verse from Billy Idol's White Wedding while we were playing Rebel Yell at a gig before Xmas, that put the bass player off who switched to the bass line of White Wedding leaving me and the drummer shaking our heads at each other. Same key and similar pace so we managed to pull it back for a chorus...no one dancing seemed to notice!
    There's a video on Youtube where Billy Idol does that....by mistake!!  He's playing an acoustic version of White Wedding and when Steve Stevens is playing the B minor vamp for the verse Billy thought it was the same B minor for White Wedding.

• You can do living on a prayer to basically any other bon jovi track.
    similar was said of T.Rex
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • OK the White Wedding / Rebel Yell thing was the other way around from what I explained it...