youtube crashes my laptop?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
I suspect the answer is to bin it and buy a new one but I thought Id check if any of the IT guru's here have any thoughts first...

I use an old dell latitude d620 for working at home (ms office) and browsing the net. When I click a youtube link it's often crashes - locks the machine and plays a continuous noise. It probably happens 10% of the time.  I just reboot and have learned to always save any work before going on the net.

I thought it might be a driver issue but I'm running win7 so I can be compatible with work and when I look for new drivers the ones on the dell site seem to be from the xp era.  I guess that means I'm using generic win7 drivers and a likely source of the problem.

Time to buy something newer or is it fixable?  A shame as otherwise everything works great.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FazerFazer Frets: 488
    what kind of noise? the fans running at maximum? and are you able to play dvds?

my first thought would be to see if its overheating, playing video puts a lot of strain on the vid card/cpu and results in heat generation.
    i would be looking at making sure the fans are clear of fluff and also not blocked by being on a carpet/duvet etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    Fazer said:
    what kind of noise? the fans running at maximum? and are you able to play dvds?

my first thought would be to see if its overheating, playing video puts a lot of strain on the vid card/cpu and results in heat generation.
    i would be looking at making sure the fans are clear of fluff and also not blocked by being on a carpet/duvet etc

Its noise out of the speaker - like a bass note around 100-200 Hz blasting out while everything is locked up.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    hmmm, maybe a sound card issue?

but it used to work though?
    did you newly install the win 7 on it? maybe there is an incompatability with the hardware/drivers somewhere
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

Here's some hardware only info if it's not a driver issue

There are 2 motherboards used in the Latitude D620, one use's a simple Intel onboard video GPU and generally runs cool and is reliable. The other motherboard used in this model use's a more powerful Nvidia GPU and this is prone to problems, not least because the heatsink design doesn't actually clamp down on the top of the GPU effectively. There was a revision 2 board make which simply had a piece of copper on the top to reduce the gap. I used to do this mod in all the D620's and D630's I repaired

To clean the fan on the D620 you need to unclip the strip above the keyboard. Remove the 3 screws holding down the keyboard. Then disconnect the wireless connectors and  the video cable, then the display will lift off, then remove palmrest and finally you can get to fan. 

To test for obvious failure of any device hit F12 before booting and choose diagnostics from the boot menu . These built in diags are very good at picking up bad memory and other such problems 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Thanks chaps - I'll run the diagnostics and check all is fine and then open it up and have a play to see if that clears it up before buying something newer.
  • Do you any other kind of audio interface? You could try and disable the internal device in device manager and see if the issue still occurs with the external device. Also try and get hold of a Linux distro on a USB stick, boot up on that and see if you have the same issue. If not it's gonna be a software issue. See if the dell website has a driver pack for your particular laptop
    Do you any other kind of audio interface? You could try and disable the internal device in device manager and see if the issue still occurs with the external device. Also try and get hold of a Linux distro on a USB stick, boot up on that and see if you have the same issue. If not it's gonna be a software issue. See if the dell website has a driver pack for your particular laptop
    Good thinking - I'll try that over the weekend.    The latest drivers on the dell site are for win xp which I assume will clash with win7 I have installed.
  • As long as they have to same bit number (64 or 32) you may be in luck.