Wiring diagram for 3 P-Rails

What's Hot

As part of the 2015 challenge I want to install 3 P-Rails in place of the Wilkinson HBs I have now, in the SG copy from Harley Benton. 

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or advice about wiring the three of them up, and being able to split them all individually, to get the 3 different combinations for each P-rail?  Should give 27 different ones?  I am guessing at keeping the 3 volumes, and having a rotary 5-way switch for pickup selection, and 3 mini switches to handle the tapping?

Anyone?

Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28452
    3 P-Rails is just plain greedy.  Or mad.

:D

Personally, I'd use the triple-shot mounting rings and keep the other controls as-is.  It's the simplest option for the wiring since all the splitting controls are on the p'up rings themselves.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    Yeah I had thought about that - I do like the idea of the switches though  :)  would look as mad as it played then  lol
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    You can get the special surrounds with two tiny switches on each. That would be the easiest route. I tried them but the switches were too small to see what setting they were on, and too fiddly to change quickly.

I have to say that 27 options sounds like a nightmare to me! I can't believe that you will get distinct variation. I have 2 Prails in aguitar but only 3 switching options - P90, both SCs, Humbucker. I love it like that.
    A wise man once told me that you should work out what combinations you'd want to achieve first, and then how to achieve them (ie the switching) second.  But ...

3 mini-toggles will easily give you the main P90/HB/SC option for each p'up (though you'd lose the HB series/parallel option that the triple-shots also give you).

A push/push on a vol/tone could include/exclude the middle p'up (I believe that's a frequently used option).

Then the standard 3-way p'up selector gives you the usual options, but with the push/push adding in (or taking out) the middle p'up.

That sounds like what I would like @TTony - I'll have to try to work out what that means on a diagram.  Electrics are not my strong point  lol  I have looked at SD wiring diagram for 2 P-rails, but they don't show a 3 one - probabaly cos no one is 'mad' enough....yet
    It's not too difficult to achieve @entee - just logic really to work out the signal flow through the switches, and being able to hold the right end of a hot stick (clue; coldy-holdy)

;)

Depending on how you use vol & tone controls, I'm guessing that you'll either end up with 3v & 1t (with 1v only being useful when the middle p'up is switched in), or keep 2v & 2t and have to control the volume of the middle p'up together with either the bridge or neck p'up ...
    I don't tend to use tone controls tbh.  The SG has 3v and 1t at present, and I am happy to lose the tone if necessary.  Studying SDs wiring diagram for 2 P-rails should help get my head around the wiring, then 'just add in a third' to the mix...
    If it's got 3v now, it'd be quite easy to change the middle p'up vol to a push/push (or push/pull, but I prefer push/push!), and then just push the knob to bring the middle p'up into the sound if/when you want it.

Then you've got each p'up wired to a mini-toggle to give you the 3 main options, then the output from each mini-toggle goes to the appropriate vol control just as if it's a normal p'up hot wire.  Not a lot of change really, as long as you've got the space in the control cavity for the 3 mini-togs.
    That's excellent @TTony! ; That actually makes sense, thank you.  I am definitely learning  :)  The strip down will start tomorrow, then I'll know what space I have to play with, and where I can fit switches etc. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501

I quite like series/split/parallel switches for each pickup - although i usually only use this on single pickup guitars to give more options

Essentially it gives, full power/half power/quarter power for each p-up

In reality the series/split sounds can sound too similar on evenly matched coils... but on a something like a p-rail you should see a lot more variation between settings.   essentially you will loose the single rail sound (imo the weakest) and gain the parallel humbucker sound.  worth having a play to see which is more useful to you

The weak point of 3 pickup gibsons is the toggle switch options, need to be able to get all 3 pickups individually or any combination of them.  push/pull or neck adder volume control will do this   (i.e. wire up the toggle for 2 pickups only, then have the switch or volume  to add in the 3rd pickup)   volume controls for each pickup will mean every option is still available

• Have you considered ditching the three-way toggle and replacing with three more mini-switches for on/off for each pickup for more of a Brian May Red Special vibe? Could sound good with (effectively) three P90s.
    Good point @steamabacus - wow there's going to be a lot of wires in that tiny cavity!  I need to start sketching I think, so it becomes clearer in my mind what I need to do
  • A pen and paper are your friend when it comes to guitar wiring.
    :)

And ......... it's just occurred to me that you could, rather than a simple on/off toggle for each pickup, use a three-way mini toggle for in-phase/off/out-of-phase and get even more permutations! You'd probably need a spread-sheet to keep track of them, though.
    ;)
    A pen and paper are your friend when it comes to guitar wiring.
    :)

And ......... it's just occurred to me that you could, rather than a simple on/off toggle for each pickup, use a three-way mini toggle for in-phase/off/out-of-phase and get even more permutations! You'd probably need a spread-sheet to keep track of them, though.
    ;)
    My friend, I am already in deep with this, and not sure even how to wire a p'ups in or out of phase!  Let alone, have another type of switch for even more permutations.....now if you wanted to write out said spreadsheet, pen/paper, that would be different  ;)
    edited February 2015
    There is - of course - the 6-way toggle switch - freeway (made in England too!)

:D

[edit]
    You really want to take a look ... here

anything to make this rewire easier!