Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How do you like to have your action?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Update: I now have bass side at 1.5 and treble at just under 1.35 At 12th. Liking it so far :)
    Gonna check all the frets are level at my next restring and pup change along with a fret polish
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4327
    To me it was always a goal to have a guitar good enough to have a really low action. I always thought that i would be able to play better with a low action. Case of a bad workman blaming his tools!. Now that I do have guitars good enough I prefer the tone of a moderately high action. I hit hard and find that a low action changes the note resonance when playing cleanish. So currently, not measured mind, approx 3mm bass side (52g) and 2mm top E (10g).
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Re the opening post

In a group, with rubber and leather...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    I assume these measurements are taken from the top of the 12th fret and not the fretboard?
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Lev said:
    I assume these measurements are taken from the top of the 12th fret and not the fretboard?
    Yes, top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string, whilst the guitar is in the playing position.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I tend to go for about 1.3 to 1.5 mm on the high E, and maybe 1.8 mm on the low E. I don't mind going a tad higher than that though - I find some guitars just don't seem to like a very low action, however good and level the frets are. I use fairly heavy strings and pick quite strongly. I find it easier to get away with a low-ish action with heavier gauge strings, lighter strings kind of flap about more. I can set the action lower than I've said on some of my guitars, but I actually find I need a certain amount of resistance under the fingers, too light an action just doesn't suit my technique.
  • On the seedy side.
    Failing that how the person who had the guitar before me had it!
    I've never tried measuring but I guess mediumish. I do usually tweak it a bit so the strings don't follow the curve of the radius in the way you might expect so I have a higher action on the high E in relation to the set up and a bit higher on the B. IIRC Jimmie Vaughan has something similar as does J Mascis ( I think his action maybe even flatter across the strings).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Mascis plays the bow and arrow, not guitar.
    'Awibble'
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    I'm with the medium action crew.

THing is, I find it hard on vintagey rad guitars to bend big perfect 4ths or whatever if the action is too low. Like to get me fingers under the strings.

Of course, if I could djent it would be different!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• On my strat, medium - makes muting easier. 

On shred machines, paint them strings on :D
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    High enough not to rattle at all when I hit it in my usual hamfisted manner, or bend a string at least a tone up above the 12th fret and attack it hard.

Probably quite high by most people's standards, although not anything like J Mascis height. I play quite like him though, so I understand why he would do that even though it looks odd - and is probably unnecessary even then, it really is quite hilarious.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

is a little bit of buzz generally acceptable when I dig in on an open note? 
    'Awibble'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Hertz32 said:
    is a little bit of buzz generally acceptable when I dig in on an open note? 
    To me, no - although it depends what you mean by 'dig in'. You can get any guitar* to rattle if you really thrash it, the question is whether you would do that in normal playing.

*Well, apart from J Mascis's Jazzmasters, probably...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I go with a medium height, but I have 20 odd guitars and different heights (slightly) on them all. As someone above said unless it feels completely horrible and unplayable to you, then no matter the measurement, it'll be fine.