goldtop style finish?

What's Hot
What's the current wisdom on the easiest way to get a reasonably cheap but good gold top finish?     

I was looking at rattle can from the manchester guitar tech but if anyone has successfully tried something else (without buying an air gun and metal flakes).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lamf68lamf68 Frets: 852

John, It depends on the quality and level of finish you want, I've been using Crescent Bronze powders for my last Goldtop jobs, currently putting the finishing touches to my own Les Paul, and despite needing a gun and compressor there's nothing that compares to it, the only other stuff out there any cop is Steve Manc guitar Techs Goldtop in a can. I refinished Chris's(cmd01) Greco using that stuff and it was great, harder to use than a spray gun but nonetheless a great looking finish.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    Thanks - I was thinking about getting a price from you but I'll give the cans a try and see how it goes.   

I'm very tempted to try the gold leaf as a finish first and if that looks garbage I can sand it back and spray it.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    You could always gold leaf it. If you go for the faux stuff rather than the full on 24karat it is pretty cheap. @WezV is the master of these finishes, but basically it is:

1. Paint some glue (size in gilding terms) where you want the gold to stick. Let it dry so it goes transparent and tacky to the touch.

The smallest bottle will do plenty many guitars HERE

2. Get the leaf in booklet form as it is the easiest to apply and comes on transfer paper.

Loads of choice Here

3. Remove a page from the booklet - basically it is tracing paper with the leaf rested on it - and press is gold down onto the sticky size. Rub it smooth then peel the tracing paper away.

4. Repeat until the body is covered, overlapping as needed

5. Leave it a wee while, then use a really soft brush to get rid of the excess leaf - saving the excess as you can fill more gaps if you need to (and you will)

6. Once it is all covered, leave it a while - overnight is good - and then wipe it down with a damp cloth. microfibres aren't ideal I found (ahem). This gets rid of the last fragments.

7. You can now lacquer it, or relic it some if that floats your boat.

One tip Wez gave me was to paint it gold underneath and that really does make a difference, so may be worth considering.

I've done a few and it works well.

This was painted gold before the leaf went on:

This wasn't even grain filled as I wanted a rougher finish:

This was one with the variegated leaf..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    Thanks Jooky -  I'm definitely going to try it -  I actually have some leaf I bought last year for the flying V but I was persuaded to leave it black - I might do that as if the thomann 335 works ok.    It's super fiddly stuff though! 
  • JookyChap said:
    You could always gold leaf it. If you go for the faux stuff rather than the full on 24karat it is pretty cheap. @WezV is the master of these finishes, but basically it is:

1. Paint some glue (size in gilding terms) where you want the gold to stick. Let it dry so it goes transparent and tacky to the touch.

The smallest bottle will do plenty many guitars HERE

2. Get the leaf in booklet form as it is the easiest to apply and comes on transfer paper.

Loads of choice Here

3. Remove a page from the booklet - basically it is tracing paper with the leaf rested on it - and press is gold down onto the sticky size. Rub it smooth then peel the tracing paper away.

4. Repeat until the body is covered, overlapping as needed

5. Leave it a wee while, then use a really soft brush to get rid of the excess leaf - saving the excess as you can fill more gaps if you need to (and you will)

6. Once it is all covered, leave it a while - overnight is good - and then wipe it down with a damp cloth. microfibres aren't ideal I found (ahem). This gets rid of the last fragments.

7. You can now lacquer it, or relic it some if that floats your boat.

One tip Wez gave me was to paint it gold underneath and that really does make a difference, so may be worth considering.

I've done a few and it works well.

This was painted gold before the leaf went on:

This wasn't even grain filled as I wanted a rougher finish:

This was one with the variegated leaf..

Great mini how-to on gold leaf Jooky. I came across your website last year and have been a fan of your work ever since. Currently am torn between doing a gold top les paul/sg or paisley tele both with help from your guides. I also incorporated your Mod Podge technique into another guitar a while back. You're a world of wisdom at finishes! All the best, Paul