Is it possible to put covers on humbuckers yourself?

What's Hot
I know that BK will do it for you, but I'd rather save the dosh and time personally, and DIY.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes, I considered this for my Gibson Trad Pro 2...watched a few youtube "how to" vids (there are many), and then decided just to leave it as it is I was scared of the soldering iron 

Best of luck
  • I think that Ash @TheGuitarWeasel put up some good pictures of how to do this? 

Good clamping technique as I recall!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Getting the right spacing on the covers to the polepieces is the first hurdle to overcome

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Getting the right spacing on the covers to the polepieces is the first hurdle to overcome
    Indeed. 

Doddle job though. Keep the pickup on its side. 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    The issue is skimming the windings. And also, there's metric and imperial sizes and stuff. The biggest issue is finding the right cover.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Also I would tend to wax pot the pickupafter putting the cover on, although I know there are other ways to stop feedback from the cover.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Hmmmn ...... Sounds like it might be a tad tricky to be doing with expensive BK pups! I'd better check on How much they charge again - can't remember.