Hand painted squier strat project

What's Hot
My wife is a keen amateur artist, and after talking about famous painted guitars like The Fool and Rocky - we decided to start a project together I got my old 1999 squire strat down from my parents loft that I had bought when I was 16 - decided to give it a new lease of life with hardware for my pop punk covers band Stiflers Mom and a fab hand painted make over

heres the candidate in its original form

We decided to go for a trippy/tim burton but colourful, Alice in Wonderland type image, that would look cool on the guitar, so Lisa sketched out an idea on a strat shaped bit of paper

As it was a first attempt we didnt strip back all the original black finish, I just sanded it rough to take the lacquer off and primed it white as a canvas for her to work on, maybe for future projects we'll take all the finish off 

heres the guitar mid paint with the background being worked on

After she had finished the design, it was coated first in acrylic coating to help the paint stick and dry, and then several coats of lacquer, wet sanded within an inch of its life and buffed/polished to a "factory" finish 

this is when my ham fisted virgin soldering attempts were added as i put in two rail pickups on bridge and neck, and rewired the wiring to Jimmy Vaughan set up - so the tone controls work for the neck and bridge pups and the middle on is left "wide open" as for the music we are playing in the band the bridge pickup gets used 99% of the time and I wanted a tone control for it

here are the pics of the finished guitar, just needs a set up now.. but im v pleased and now the Mrs is planning more guitars!!! which can only be a good thing for my GAS!

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Great job - have a wow!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have a 'wow'! You won't get that pinched.... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6329
    tFB Trader
    Wow, looks amazing
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Looks ace. Good work.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Brilliant!
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Loving that and added to your wow collection :)

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2805
    That is foofing brilliant!
  • Thanks folks - I love it and can't wait to give it a run out at rehearsal on weds night (presuming my shonky soldering holds out lol) I'll pass on your comments to Mrs bevanjon74 - she'll be delighted you like it
  • i saw the first drawing and was like wtf????? but it bloody works its a super idea! well done! another wow!
    How very rock and roll