Finish ideas/advice

What's Hot
Ok - this isn't actually guitar related, but I'm hoping no-one minds too much if I pop it here..

Coffee table - used to be part of a sideboard - family heirloom sort of thing. Nice bit of wood - got a few scrapes and gouges... What could I do to make it look nicer..? I'm not looking to make it look like glass, or anything like that.. May or not have been sprayed with furniture polish containing silicone, at some point..

Am I being realistic in wanting to get rid of the gouges? Should I just whack some of that thick brown furniture wax on it, and leave it at that?
Pics:

Cheers!
 so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 960
    edited February 2015
    Looks like it could do with a refret...  ;)

Personally I think marks like that give tables a bit of character - they'd blend in colour-wise anyway with a bit of polish.  Those brown wax crayon things are quite good at hiding scratches, but not sure if it would work on deep gouges.  You'd have to plain down the whole top of the table to get rid of it completely, but then it would be just like a new table and less "nice" IMO.

Edit: or cut it to the shape of a LP Junior body and finish it in cherry red or TV yellow :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    a walnut works well on damage like that

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't do what my Mom did many years ago when she got utterly fed up of the scratches and gouges on a dark oak table...she attacked it with an out of adjustment Stanley plane...then panicked and went into a frenzy, pushing it round the room with deeper and deeper gouges until the leg fell off.

Worked, though...Dad bought her a new table...

:))
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Lol! No, I won't be attacking it with a plane!

Thanks @WezV for the walnut tip - I shall be having a go at that! 

@DartmoorHedgehog I've already had the "You're not turning it into guitars" talk, off the wife..! The 'needs a refret'  line made me chuckle, though!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    Trace a Telecaster shape onto the table and cut yourself a new guitar body out of it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom