New MUSE

What's Hot
OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
New MUSE album "Drones" to drop in June. Surprise short UK tour next week. New single on the 23rd March and a new track premiering on YouTube 6pm GMT March 13.

I hope it'll be better than the 2nd Law album.

Discuss.
Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    So do I. And better than The Resistance. And Black Holes & Revelations.

Although I don't hold out much hope…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I've seen muse three times. First was origin of symmetry tour and they were amazing, second was reading and they were great, with an even bigger production, third was after second law and...eh. It seemed like every song was just midtempo as hell and they were relying a lot on the canned backing elements.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27624
    Excellent.

The new stuff, judging from interviews and a couple of 10second Instagram studio clips, is going be much closer to Origin and Absolution than 2ndLaw and Resistance.

That said, I'll be seeing them live if at all possible as they've become a better live act with every tour IMO. Saw their first festival headline at Glastonbury 2004 and the last show of the 2nd Law tour in Abu Dhabi and both were exceptional.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Whattttt? Black Holes... is my favourite MUSE album (beside Absolution). The Resistance wasn't terrible but it wasn't amazing either.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Everything was kinda crap after Showbiz and Origin of Symmetry. Those are two of my all time favourite albums. But when they started going symphonic and less hard-rock I totally tuned out. My mum loves 'em though, so I guess they're doing alright.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting how we all have such different opinions...

For me, Showbiz was OK, Origin Of Symmetry was better, and Absolution achieved greatness - because it has by far the best songs. BH&R was a crashing disappointment, all style and no substance. Samey arrangements and weak songs, not helped by the appalling Take A Bow being the opener...

The Resistance and 2nd Law marginally better, but nowhere near as good as the first three.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7182
    Yawn...

Can't stand 'em.

Saw them in Teignmouth. Was boring.

My brother loves them and I cannot see the appeal myself at all.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    ICBM said:
    I think it's roughly an 'early era' and a 'late era' split. The early era they were shaping up to be a proper rock band. Whereas - imho - they're more of a stadium rock circus band nowadays. No surprise that Octawhatever likes them, he likes The Darkness too!

For me, I love riffs. They kinda lost that. I tried to remain a fan, even during Absolution days... but I couldn't. As soon as I heard that bass tone and riff at the start of Time Is Running Out... I knew I wasn't going to like it.

Absolution, BHAR, and 2nd Law... they utterly pale in comparison to Origin imho.
    edited March 2015
    ICBM said:

For me, Showbiz was OK, Origin Of Symmetry was better, and Absolution achieved greatness - because it has by far the best songs. BH&R was a crashing disappointment, all style and no substance. Samey arrangements and weak songs, not helped by the appalling Take A Bow being the opener...

The Resistance and 2nd Law marginally better, but nowhere near as good as the first three.
    They closed with take a bow at reading with flamethrowers launching at the crescendo, its one of the better songs on B&R I think, although its basically a slighlty improved redo of apocalypse please.

Starlight is interminable though.

Their absolute nadir is the disco funk song they did from the last one. Its just so lazy, like they took the most obvious "disco" cliches: 4 to the floor beat, octave bass, wah wah guitar and knocked it out in an hour as a joke, along with the dubstep track.

The thing is, I like the fact that Muse are a band who aren't hung up on looking cool and down to earth like every other rock band and are willing to be overblown and silly. But they've had moments lately where the slight campiness has transformed into trying to stand on wackiness alone, rather than good songwriting.
    edited March 2015
    Anyway, heres the new song 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27624
    Was just coming to post that. Weird lyrics and based on a riff they've played between songs every time I've seen them. Not bad but nothing groundbreaking. At least he seems pissed off, post-whatshername.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Glam toss.
  • Eugh awful.

Muse turn yet another jam into a half-assed song.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Saw them at Reading in 2006.

Great gig.

Don't know what went wrong with them after that though.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7349
    Sounds a bit like beutiful people.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10521

Well it's certainly riffy .... kick drum sounds great, lyrics are shit, enough little bits in the song to stay interesting. Not gonna get any radio play, at least not that edit

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    hugbot said:
    They closed with take a bow at reading with flamethrowers launching at the crescendo, its one of the better songs on B&R I think, although its basically a slighlty improved redo of apocalypse please.
    It's like someone with no imagination or subtlety listened to Apocalypse Please and was 'inspired' to write a song based on it. Puerile and annoying. I recently listened to the album again, deliberately skipping TAB, and I have to admit it wasn't quite as bad as I remembered… although I still only really liked Map Of The Problematique.

hugbot said:
    Anyway, heres the new song
    Oh dear… the same Muse By Numbers as the last three albums.

Sounds a bit like beutiful people
    crossed with Uprising.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Not impressed with the new track at all :-(
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    heard it on the radio as I drove to practice earlier. Sounds kinda like they decided to write a Royal Blood ripoff but accidentally came over a bit too Black Sabbath-y but with a weak hook.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Interesting to hear peoples' opinions! I quite like it. It works for me. But I guess each to their own as they say.