thomann les paul generic hardcase ,bad fit ?????

mark123mark123 Frets: 1357

as title ,ive just received a thomann lp generic hardcase,it seems ok for £36 and all the ++++ reviews of it say it fits my Gibson/epiphone/tokai/vintage les paul perfect ...........but......

when I place the les paul in, the neck at the 3rd fret is supported but there is space between (imagine it was a bolt on les paul )the plate and surrounding area ,so if the case is lying flat on the floor their must be so much strain on the neck as the guitar is supported at the bottom end but then space underneath all the way till the cushion part supports the neck at the 3rd fret ,ive looked at my friends who has 2 lp cases (an alligator and a Gibson type copy) and these look the same ?? am I having a blonde moment and missing something ?? is it ok ? am I right thinking over time the neck will bow ??and of course the obvious solution is keep case stored upright but is this not a bad design ???

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    A picture might help to clarify things but it sounds like you should mod the case to lower the support under the 3rd fret so that the whole guitar lies flat in the case. I've done this to badly fitting cases before, it's not a hard job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1357

I don't think I can do that as the neck would be resting on the little pocket with the flap so the only option is to pack the underneath of body with a little hand towel rolled up  or something ,but you shouldn't really have to do that with a brand new case

I still may return it

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    edited March 2015
    It's not a problem. The string tension is many times the force that the weight of the guitar puts on the neck when it's lying like that, so it won't strain it much more than normal, if any at all.

The body end of the neck is strong - what's absolutely critical is that the end of the headstock does not touch the back of the case. If it does, a blow to the back of the case will easily snap the headstock - if it's touching, return the case. Chances are it won't be if the neck is up high though, that's *why* it's like that - don't lower the neck support!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Just took a look at my stagg LP hard case. The support near the headstock should be flush with the height of the lid of the compartment, which is flush with the block at the other end of the compartment.

There is a space below the heel and the guitar body but the neck is in contact with and supported by the case from the first fret to around the 10th fret, first by the block near the headstock, then by the lid itself, then by the second block. This way there is no room for the neck to bend at all.

I would say lower the support near the headstock to the same level as the lid, as I wouldn't want the whole guitar resting on the neck like that, especially if the lid is pressing down on the body of the guitar slightly when closed as is often the case (indicated by deep string marks on the lid). Just my personal preference.