Employment and making a big leap....

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31576
    LOL

Just registered thegainline.co.uk

mmmm

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28412
    TTony said:
    The GainLine

Gassage said:
    LOL

Just registered thegainline.co.uk

mmmm

No charge.

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11668
    Just remember this:

Nobody ever lay on their deathbed and said "I should have spent more time in the office".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    scrumhalf said:
    Just remember this:

Nobody ever lay on their deathbed and said "I should have spent more time on the Fretboard".

FTFY

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28008
    scrumhalf said:
    Just remember this:

Nobody ever lay on their deathbed and said "I should have spent more time on the Fretboard".

FTFY
    Just FYI, we're working on fixing that.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    rsvmark said:
    Another factor in all of this is the tax position. Depending on how you get set up you can become much more tax efficient and it's all legal. Get hold of a good accountant and get them to explain it over a pint.
    Isn't this exactly what Amazon and all those other companies and celebrities did, and the last year has seen them get raked over the coals for it.. ??
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28008
    Drew_fx said:
    rsvmark said:
    Another factor in all of this is the tax position. Depending on how you get set up you can become much more tax efficient and it's all legal. Get hold of a good accountant and get them to explain it over a pint.
    Isn't this exactly what Amazon and all those other companies and celebrities did, and the last year has seen them get raked over the coals for it.. ??
    Yes, and it happened because people who believe everything they read have no critical thought.
    <space for hire>
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Based on my 20+ years of self-employment after 20+ years employment with household name companies in secure jobs, I'd advise:

1) Pay your taxes, claim all your expenses. Run your own limited company, and manage your own accounts every month

2) Get your monthly outgoings down to a bare minimum until you have at least a year's money stored up in your business. I keep 2-3 years money behind me at ALL times. It is a surprisingly large source of self-confidence.

3) Most important: Get your family on board with the idea of your self-employment. Almost everyone I have seen fail in the move you are planning has had spouse/partner/close family who simply waited for every bit of evidence that it might all fail and highlighted it to the poor guy trying to make it work. DITCH THOSE PEOPLE. SERIOUSLY. Cut them out and where you can't (parents, in-laws, etc) DO NOT discuss your business with them. DON'T fall into the trap of thinking "I'll show them". Simply steer the conversations away from your business and how you're doing. Always. They don't realise they are damaging you. They think they are being "realistic".

4) Remember the saying - I have no friends in business. Almost all my biggest successes have been to the detriment of the success of others. Not intentional, just situational. Like a mate of mine says "Nobody expects any sportsman to give away his advantage to the opponent. So why do we get pissed off at businessmen who legally play to win?"

Can't stress number 3 enough. One guy even took a permanent job earning a THIRD of what he made in his first year of self-employment because his wife thought it was irresponsible of him to indulge his dreams while they had young kids. A THIRD! Evidentially, logically and arithmetically it made no sense. But to her, emotionally it did. It is very sad that so many partners/parents/in-laws do not want the guy to be successful. Or at least more successful than they are. There is a whole psychology there.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I started my first company when I was 28 and although there have been some struggles along the way I never regret it
    There are some times when it gets tough and I wonder why I do it. It takes steel and determination to get through that
    My advice to anyone who does this is plan for and work out how to cope with the bad times
    Anyone can run a business when the economy is good
    The trick is being able to progress through the bad times
    Easy enough when you are a one man band but I'm responsible for nearly 50 employees now... And that's a big responsibility
    But it has a lot of rewards and is much easier with a good team around you
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10086
    @Gassage

My two penneth...

Some years ago when I was wondering whether to 'venture forwards', I received a simple but brilliant piece of advice.

Make the leap. 

"What's the worst thing that can happen ? You just go back to what you do now..."

Have a crack my friend. Life is very short.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23143
    edited April 2015
    Do it. It'll stop you writing articles on cricket bats which I disagree with (being a bowler and whatnot) :D You've clearly got the skills and the connections so go for it, sir. 

• fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I say do it!

By your own admission, you clearly find the day job boring and there's an option here to do something you're passionate about and earn a decent living doing it. What's the very worst that will happen as you're offering a service based business so you don't have to sink a huge inlay into stock / building and patenting a product? It doesn't work out and you go and get another day job and nobody can say you didn't try!
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Can't believe you're selling your gear!

If someone was to invest a small sum of cash in your business, what sort of returns could you offer them (if anything)?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Nothing worse than looking back saying "What if?"
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    Having said that, I'm on the bones of my arse at the moment!

But, I'm sure something will turn up.

(If you need any Graphic design work doing…) :-)
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    ellangus said:
    Having said that, I'm on the bones of my arse at the moment!

But, I'm sure something will turn up.

(If you need any Graphic design work doing…) :-)
    Have you any experience doing GUI design??? PM me if so.
    'fraid not. Mainly print based designer but really appreciate the thought.

If you ever need Corporate ID, Brochures, Catalogue, Exhibition work etc. I'd be happy to have a chat and give some ideas and costings.

Good luck with your venture.