Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Want the Strat tone but do I need a Strat?! Looking at options...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1630
    Pick up a jerry donahue signature telecaster. Strat pickup in the neck, five-way selector, gives good Stratlike tone in position 4. Won't beat a good quality Strat but it's close

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    Joe_Easy said:
    Yep, you're probably right!  I've not been able to play with a Jaguarillo in person yet, but there are a few Youtube vids and it does seem to get close to a decent strat tone...doesn't nail it though.  Loving the look, though, and I know it's incredibly shallow but it's the look of the Strat that puts me off, nothing else!  :\">
    How can you not like the look of the sexiest guitar ever designed.
    Deadman get your trainers on. Lol
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Joe_Easy said:
    Deadman;60656" said:
    I've had loads of Strats, finally fell out of love with them about two years ago. Why? I just think Teles wee all over them in tone and playability.

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread.
    I love and prefer the tele tone, hence why I already own one, but the strat tone is different and as much as I try and almost get close to it with my tele, it's never fully there.
    ...let it go...
    ;)

Pulling me Dunlops on now Fez.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73165
    edited October 2013
    Strats are just so boring, as well as having design annoyances which put me off - the position of the volume knob especially.

The Jag is easily the best-looking Fender in my opinion, and far more comfortable than a Strat.

The Jaguarillo won't give you the true Strat tone though, because it has a Jaguar tailpiece. The scale length doesn't matter in my opinion - as long as you use heavier strings to give the same tension. A Strat still sounds like a Strat if you capo it at the first fret - at which point it has a 24" scale!

But something like the Squier Jagmaster fitted with a HSS pickup set (I can't remember if there's a big enough rout under the guard for the middle pickup though) would do the job - Jaguar looks, Strat bridge, right pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7221
    ICBM said:
    Strats are just so boring, as well as having design annoyances which put me off - the position of the volume knob especially.

The Jag is easily the best-looking Fender in my opinion, and far more comfortable than a Strat.

The Jaguarillo won't give you the true Strat tone though, because it has a Jaguar tailpiece. The scale length doesn't matter in my opinion - as long as you use heavier strings to give the same tension. A Strat still sounds like a Strat if you capo it at the first fret - at which point it has a 24" scale!

But something like the Squier Jagmaster fitted with a HSS pickup set (I can't remember if there's a big enough rout under the guard for the middle pickup though) would do the job - Jaguar looks, Strat bridge, right pickups.
    I have to disagree with you over the volume knob. It is the one guitar that I think has it in the perfect position. I use mine constantly and so for me Strats are the guitar I measure all other guitars by.

They are only boring if the player is boring.

Jags look lovely, but Jazzmasters are way better... (ducks to avoid incoming flying objects)
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    edited October 2013
    stonevibe said:
    I have to disagree with you over the volume knob. It is the one guitar that I think has it in the perfect position.
    I'm always bashing my pinky knuckle on it. It needs to be just a little further away - even my Aria 'Strat', which has it a little further down/back is fine.

stonevibe said:
    They are only boring if the player is boring.
    They just look boring, regardless of the player - over-familiarity probably. Although oddly I don't tend to feel the same way about the P-Bass (or at least not if it's in a nice colour).

stonevibe said:
    Jags look lovely, but Jazzmasters are way better... (ducks to avoid incoming flying objects)
    The Jag has more chrome, so wins :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I kinda know what you mean about strats looking a bit boring. I think it's because they're common? I prefer offset designs mostly :)

ICBM makes a good point (as usual!) about scale length - thinking about it, he's completely right!

Check out the carvin though, for that money it'll be a stunner, though won't sound "proper" stratty. If it's proper strat tones you want, though, I reckon the jagmaster is a neat idea.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2567
    How about a Nashville-style 3-p'up Tele?  I know the Strat vibrato contributes a fair amount to the character of "the Strat sound" but the 2- and 4- tones on a Tele with a middle p'up are close enough for me.  The Strat trem itself? I can live without it.

Here's a partscaster I just finished about a week or so ago.  Three-pickup Tele with fruity Strat-u-esque switching options and a big fuck-off solid brass bridge.  I'm extremely happy with how it sounds!

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How about a Nashville-style 3-p'up Tele?  I know the Strat vibrato contributes a fair amount to the character of "the Strat sound" but the 2- and 4- tones on a Tele with a middle p'up are close enough for me.  The Strat trem itself? I can live without it.

Here's a partscaster I just finished about a week or so ago.  Three-pickup Tele with fruity Strat-u-esque switching options and a big fuck-off solid brass bridge.  I'm extremely happy with how it sounds!

Along the same lines but as a standard model, how about the James Burton Tele?

Possibly not for a shrinking violet.

There's also this from Fender, the Vintage Hot Rod Tele which is a bit more restrained.

I spotted a couple more three pickup teles on Fender's site using both Tele and Strat pickups in various combinations.

• ICBM;60693" said:
    Strats are just so boring, as well as having design annoyances which put me off - the position of the volume knob .
    Wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM;60693" said:
    Strats are just so boring, as well as having design annoyances which put me off - the position of the volume knob .
    Wrong
    Right!

I can't play a Strat without always bashing the volume knob, so it *is* in the wrong place!

Just because you play all refined and posh doesn't mean I want to :).

• RockerRocker Frets: 5042
    I agree about the volume control problem but a Strat is a lovely guitar to play and has a unique sound.  A sound that can only be got from a Strat IMHO.  A Line6 Variax comes pretty close but is let down by the guitar part of the Duet.  If you could transplant the Variax electronics into a better guitar body, that might solve your problem.  Some time ago I tried out a Variax and the sounds were pretty convincing to my ears.  It has a large number of idiotic sounds but the main [LP, Tele, Strat etc.] sounded OK.  I would expect the transplant job is one for a luthier unless you are skilled in guitar building.  But it is an option.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBM;60965" said:
    Travisthedog said:

ICBM;60693" said:Strats are just so boring, as well as having design annoyances which put me off - the position of the volume knob .

Wrong

Right!

I can't play a Strat without always bashing the volume knob, so it *is* in the wrong place!

You've clearly never heard me play!!!

In fairness I think the volume thing doesn't bother me as I play almost at the heel of the neck. The last fret/very end of the neck on my strats is totally monstered with pick damage!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    ICBM;60693" said:
    Wrong
    Yep, agreed but then that's not a massive surprise really
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    tFB Trader
    I love Strats ... though I totally disagree with Andy in preferring them to a Tele live. Tele has a useful bridge pickup 'out of the box' where as most Strat stock bridge pickups are definitely sub par. Part of a Strats sound comes from the trem system ... so Nashville Teles don't quite hit the mark ... It may be sacrilege ... but if you really don't fancy a Strat look ... go for an old Ibanez, Jackson or Charvel  'widdly box' you get trem springs and the a couple of the right sorts of pickup .. even if you get a heavy metal combine harvester instead of a proper bridge. I wouldn't go for single coils over 7.5k mind ... they tend to be too nasal.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    ICBM said:

See, it's guitaracists nonsense like this that has held the Stratocaster from the success and recognition it deserves!   One day you'll see.  :D
    ICBM said:

It's a bigger problem when playing all posh because you have to leave your pinkie outstretched so it forever catching.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited October 2013
    Joe_Easy said:
    andypwudtone;60663" said:
    Worth trying to unpick, which kinda strat tone, you really want, early 50's chime, Gilmour, Hendrix, SRV? 
    All of the above!
    OK so you may need three. Or just start with getting some  early 50's chime , all strat tone, stems from that 
  • OK so you may need three. Or just start with getting some  early 50's chime , all strat tone, stems from that 
    Hmmm...Yeah, think I'll just start with the one!