3D printing for a one handed guitarist

What's Hot
joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
Firstly, sorry for putting it in OT, that's purely for best responses, might have been better in making.modding, we'll see

I work in a college teaching ICT thing, including modelling and 3d printing, and we have the opportunity to do some good for a learner!

There is a guitarist in the music dept who has lost his right forearm and hand so although he continues to play, he uses his arm to strum so lacks a lot of definition, and certainly can't play individual strings.

So our plan is, to 3D print an attachment so he can 'hold' a pick on his strumming arm to help him play strings and clearer (well, we hope so)

So the idea is, take a 'sock' like fabric on his arm, pierce a hole and have a holder pertruding through for the pick.  My current thought is along these lines:  As you can see, I'm not an artist ;)

He would like to be able to change picks (which might be just a case of printing multiple holders for each thickness)

So in short, anyone got any suggestions or experience with this sort of thing?  It may be a long shot, but anything you can suggest may help!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    Another note, I know the pick is shown as straight there, but I'll meet with the learner to see what angle would be best to have
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Not had any experience myself as such but I remember a busker we used to have in Nottingham the same, he used to attach playing cards to his stump with elastic bands to strum, might give some inspiration.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

The sock idea looks like it might not be very stable, although it maybe depends on what the sock is made of and how it's attached. I'd be tempted to consider a refinement of the elastic band idea - something held on with some kind of high friction straps.

How much arm does he have? Anything below the elbow?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    There is a one handed guitarist called John Denner who des wear a sock thing over his arm. You could contact him and ask how he made his thing. http://www.johndenner.com
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    What material are you thinking of printing with?

There's a pretty big range out there now but some may be a bit to brittle.

which sort of 3D printing  you are using
    (stereolithography or fused deposition etc.) 

Depending on the technique you may have more options open to you in terms of model detail( printing threads for example)

I don't want to completely fill the the thread up so if you have any questions drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help/answer/point you in the direction of an answer 

:)

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited May 2015
    Something like this ?

Bless you all and good luck with the amazing endeavour you've chosen.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5138
    There's a blues guitarist here in Liverpool who has an attachment for the hook on his right arm that holds a pick (lost his hand just above the wrist).

First time I heard him it was about half way through the first set before I noticed, guy is seriously good. As the saying goes, where there's a will there's a way.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    Now this is a project that I would love to see get off the ground and well past the few designs on a whiteboard stage, this is something I would actualy be willing to get behind and to contribute to financially or via some other means if needed or requested.

Just think of all the potential good this could do for guitarists who loose limbs due to accidents, their self esteem, and their sense of self and self worth.

Keep up the good work man.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested