Silly saddles question

What's Hot
I've tried teles before and, if I remember correctly, I preferred the unplugged sound of the one with threaded steel saddles.

But online concensus is that brass is better...

So what are the differences in sound? I'm assuming it's quite small compared to the pickups, neck, body etc making differences but I thought I'd open a can of worms. :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11545
    I changed my old Tele from threaded steel to brass.  To me it sounded a bit warmer and not quite so cutting with brass.

The main reason I changed them was not specifically to get brass but to fix the intonation.  The intonation was horrible with the stock saddles and I wanted to get some compensated ones.  The ones I got were brass.  What I would say is that whatever material they are made from, you will probably want to get compensated saddles.  The guitar just didn't sound in tune with the original saddles.  I don't know if anyone does compensated threaded steel though.
  • Hmm okay, that's interesting...

From memory, steel saddles were louder and the guitar was a bit punchier.

I may try a six saddle bridge to be honest - I just love the look of three saddles! Are compensated ones like callaham really that good? I can't imagine how they can accurately compensate so I assume it's just a rough, better than stock estimate?
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3012
    tFB Trader
    Got both here, brass is slightly warmer and the steel slightly more metallic, but not an earth-shattering difference.

With compensated saddles I got mixed results. One is better with non-comp, two saddles seemed over-compensated. I have some I think if you want to try 'em out (no cost, just ping a pm).
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27866
    I'm know it's the minority opinion but I like steel more. Much more zing, and Teles are all about zing, right?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Corvus said:
    Got both here, brass is slightly warmer and the steel slightly more metallic, but not an earth-shattering difference.

With compensated saddles I got mixed results. One is better with non-comp, two saddles seemed over-compensated. I have some I think if you want to try 'em out (no cost, just ping a pm).

That's very kind of you, but I'll hold off until I've chosen my design. I may go for six saddles.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    ...is that like Potty Putty??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • MattFGBI;655219" said:
    Nice. Are saddles sold separately and in steel? I like that you can adjust intonation. Neat.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    No Steel I'm afraid. 

The intonatable saddles are not available on thier own but you can get the compensated saddles from the older '52 Hot Rod in a kit: 
    005-8544-049    SADDLES, COMP VINT TELE (KIT)

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11773
    tFB Trader
    If you can get intonatable 3 saddle sets , consider having an Earvana nut fitted - it'll give you th sizzle and better in tune-ness

I know you've had one before with the LTD but I'm a big believer in what they do.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FelineGuitars;655278" said:
    If you can get intonatable 3 saddle sets , consider having an Earvana nut fitted - it'll give you th sizzle and better in tune-ness

I know you've had one before with the LTD but I'm a big believer in what they do.
    Yeah, I didn't really appreciate the difference it made until I started playing other guitars.

May get an earvana, I don't have a nut yet so may just drop it off to you when it's done.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

what about Alu saddles? there was a big thing about them a while back - personally I like mixing them up on all my guitars.

The Suhr has bend steel and a couple of sintered steel saddles. :)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73153
    I don't care what online opinion says, I dislike brass saddles and much prefer steel ones. Brass ones have a particular, distinctive upper-midrange tone which once you pickup on it, becomes difficult to not hear - a sort of 'whang' overtone that I really detest. Steel ones are deeper and brighter-sounding, without so much mid emphasis - they have more of an 'industrial' grind and twang that I much prefer. Threaded ones are my favourites, I'm not sure if there is an actual tone difference compared to the plain ones or not but they just seem to sound better somehow!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;655385" said:
    I don't care what online opinion says, I dislike brass saddles and much prefer steel ones. Brass ones have a particular, distinctive upper-midrange tone which once you pickup on it, becomes difficult to not hear - a sort of 'whang' overtone that I really detest. Steel ones are deeper and brighter-sounding, without so much mid emphasis - they have more of an 'industrial' grind and twang that I much prefer. Threaded ones are my favourites, I'm not sure if there is an actual tone difference compared to the plain ones or not but they just seem to sound better somehow!
    Yeah, I remember preferring steel but it's been a while...
    frankus;655365" said:
    what about Alu saddles? there was a big thing about them a while back - personally I like mixing them up on all my guitars.The Suhr has bend steel and a couple of sintered steel saddles. :)
    Now that's interesting! A mix of saddle types might fit in visually too. Hmm...

I think a 6 saddle bridge and a combination of steel and brass is where I'll start. I'll experiment and see what happens.

I bet I end up with all steel though...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27866
    stickyfiddle;654947" said:
    I'm know it's the minority opinion but I like steel more. Much more zing, and Teles are all about zing, right?
    Having written this earlier, I've just remember that for the last 9 years I've had graph tech saddles on my Tele and had completely forgotten... More like steel than brass though
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

I wonder what diamond tipped titanium saddles sound like ?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have some callaham strat saddles... Might just use them?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12462
    Steel on mine,to my ear there are no tuning or intonation issues.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5041
    Kinda out on a limb here, but I think the bridge plate featured on the first of @MattFGBI post looks well daft.  I know, I know that that is how the original Tele Bridges were made.  But they still look daft.  Why have two raised sides?  Just looks daft.

The three saddle bridge and an Earvana nut as suggested by @FelineGuitars would be my preferred option.  If I were in the market for a Tele.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum