Windows 10

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2953

speshul91 said:
    speshul91 said:
    Fretwired said:
    Ianpdq said:
    Everybody on Windows 7 or 8. Look in the right hand corner of your screen by the clock.
    i haven't and i thought it was a free upgrade even for ahem pirate copies of older windows
    They did a back track on that one.
    7 it is then, hey ho at least this is as stable as a big stable thing, plus i cba updating anyway too many games to re download

It'll be implemented like a regular Windows update, so it won't be like a system restore. All your applications, settings and games will stay. That's the idea anyway. Also, Direct X 12 :D

I'm quite looking forward to it. The performance improvements from 7 to 8 were great, I expect it'll be similar this time around too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27750
    I only have win7 on my work machine, which won't change any time soon, and XP on an old desktop that gets switched on about once a year. 10 looks pretty decent though, FWIW. As usual (and much like Star Trek movies...) MS OSes switch between brilliant and shite with every iteration.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24690
    I'm used to 7 and Linux Mint on the desktop OS front.  Tried 8.1 yesterday for the first time....  arrrrggghhh !!!  Talk about frustrating !

Why the hell do MS insist on completely redesigning the user interface every time they update the OS ??  There's one constant about Windows upgrades - it's basically the same under the hood (ish) - they just move every-fucking-thing to a new place so you can't find it anymore !!!  That's like Boeing coming out with a new model and moving all the bloody dials and controls to different locations in the cockpit....  LEAVE IT ALONE !!!  Tweak what you want under the bonnet by all means, but let me still me able to drive the bastard thing.

No thanks - I'll be sticking with 7 - and I'd move completely to Linux if I could.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10544

What makes me smile is they can't ever admit something was a mistake. They got rid of the start button in 8 but now it's back .... but it's not called a start button cos that would mean omitting it from 8 was a mistake .... and why after 20 years of calling programs "programs" do we now call them aps ?

If the Cortana assistant works as well as Siri then that will be worth having as a voice activated assistant can save a heck of a lot of time once you work out how to address it. 

The most powerful computers are the ones that are the easiest to use. If like Emp said they kept everything in the same place people could use them easier. Why move everything , it's rediculous 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Seriously it takes literally no time to get used to the changes from windows 7 to 8 then 8 to 10. If you can't find something you're not trying very hard.

Who was the guy last year who said it took him hours to find control panel on windows 8? =))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Adam_MD said:
    Seriously it takes literally no time to get used to the changes from windows 7 to 8 then 8 to 10. If you can't find something you're not trying very hard.

Who was the guy last year who said it took him hours to find control panel on windows 8? =))
    If they didn't move it you wouldn't have to find it :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969;655063" said:
    Adam_MD said:

If they didn't change things people would just criticise because it's the same as the last one. Microsoft can't win. It's like Gibson trying to release a new guitar which doesn't look like a les Paul or have specs from the late '50s they're fucked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12513
    So who's done the 8-10 upgrade? Does it work ok, any problems? Do you lose any files or other stuff in the changeover? I've got 8 on my laptop and hate it.
    You're better waiting until 10 is officially released the preview is a little rough round the edges.

Are you running 8 or 8.1?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12513
    8.1. I'll hang on then. ;)
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    They should go retro and do windows 3.1 HD.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I've "reserved" my copy.
    My V key is broken
    Adam_MD said:
    Danny1969;655063" said:
    Adam_MD said:

If they didn't change things people would just criticise because it's the same as the last one. Microsoft can't win. It's like Gibson trying to release a new guitar which doesn't look like a les Paul or have specs from the late '50s they're fucked.
    Mmm I kinda see what your saying but OSX changes yet manages to keep things in the same place. When the first generation of Windows 8 came out the response was incredibly negative. People just hated it and for the first time ever we were being paid to remove the latest OS and replace it with an older one .... no one had ever asked for that before, generally people wanted the latest OS but not 8 
    The biggest gripe is 8 is that it'sreally designed for touch screens, on a windows phone it's great but swiping you mouse to the side on a laptop with no TS is a joke. OSX doesn't bother, it's got IOS for TS devices and Apple treats the 2 as separate things  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited June 2015
    If they will offer a fresh install of W10 (that will activate with a W7 or W8.1 serial) then I am interested. It seems to me that this is not on offer?
    I am not sure that I want a new OS installed over the top of an old OS.

Also....the offer requires you to accept automatic updates for W10 (you can't turn this off). If you have tiny doubts about the ability of Microsoft to install the correct (new) driver for your graphics card, or if you prefer to choose if you want Silverlight....or whatever....you may not be keen on this unusual and rather odd move by Microsoft.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6242
    My current understanding of the Windows 10 preview addition is that it employs a key-logger (that cannot be switched off) which dutifully sends some of your typed-in data back to Microsoft so as to help them understand what activities you are up to.. "purely for the purpose of improving the customer experience" ..

See.. they're only looking after our best interests I'm sure(?)

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2953
    Danny1969 said:
    Adam_MD said:

Why change your OS if you essentially want everything to be exactly the same? ;)
    Skipped said:
    If they will offer a fresh install of W10 (that will activate with a W7 or W8.1 serial) then I am interested. It seems to me that this is not on offer?
    I am not sure that I want a new OS installed over the top of an old OS.

W10 is essentially an upgrade, like 8 to 8.1. So you can do a fresh install with, for example, your W7 disc and serial, and it will install W7 then update to W10.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft will offer an .iso of W10 that you'll be able to download for backup purposes. I don't think it'll be installed "over" your old OS.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    What im really afraid of is potential compatibility issues. Some programs I use are old and I dont want them to be incompatible. Also, reconfiguring my DAW sounds like a hassle. I'd be game if they could assure us that the everything is backward compatible. 

On the left pane of the Get Windows 10 window, there is an option to "check your PC", it will tell you what programs and hardware currently on your computer that may have compatibility issues with Windows 10.
    Bidley said:
    W10 is essentially an upgrade, like 8 to 8.1. So you can do a fresh install with, for example, your W7 disc and serial, and it will install W7 then update to W10.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft will offer an .iso of W10 that you'll be able to download for backup purposes. I don't think it'll be installed "over" your old OS.

Yeah....updating a fresh install of W7 to W10 sounds less problematic!

I hope there is a Windows 10 ISO (Windows 8.1 has been freely available for anybody to dowload and has been for months....) so that we all  have the choice.

equalsql;655224" said:
    My current understanding of the Windows 10 preview addition is that it employs a key-logger (that cannot be switched off) which dutifully sends some of your typed-in data back to Microsoft so as to help them understand what activities you are up to.. "purely for the purpose of improving the customer experience" ..

See.. they're only looking after our best interests I'm sure(?)

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/391114/microsoft-admits-windows-10-preview-has-a-keylogger
    You can turn this off if you do a custom install rather than express settings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    Just found these two conversations.....
    It seems that a Moderator at microsoft.com is stating that a Windows 10 ISO download will be available for those who prefer a fresh install.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-0d30af83fe63
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-a5754117fd23