Windows 10

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Can you register to "upgrade" from the Windows 10 preview to real windows 10 for free?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10535
    Bidley said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Seriously it takes literally no time to get used to the changes from windows 7 to 8 then 8 to 10. If you can't find something you're not trying very hard.

Who was the guy last year who said it took him hours to find control panel on windows 8? =))
    If they didn't move it you wouldn't have to find it :)

Why change your OS if you essentially want everything to be exactly the same? ;)

What my customers wanted was a newer faster computer but they wanted the start button and my documents and all the normal shit to be exactly where it was on their own computer. When they brought a new laptop and it came with Win 8 they couldn't handle it, found it frustrating and ultimately wanted it removed 

At the studio we still use OSX SL, XP and one machine has 7. I know my way around 8 now but 8 still bugs me, You can't force it into safemode for example 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    My machine runs Windows 7 but I have 'reserved' the download of Windows 10.  If my computer goes belly up during the install, there is a good tech in our local town who will get it working for a few Euros.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11518
    Microsoft are being a bit coy about updates.  Apparently those who upgrade from 7 and 8 will be given free updates for the "Supported life of the device".  I'd like a robust definition of the "supported life".  I wouldn't want to stop getting security updates after 3 years.

They have also trademarked Windows 365.

There are rumours that the long term plan is to get you paying a monthly subscription.

Linux is looking better all the time.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    yeah cause Linux works with everything and is so widely known and supported...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    yeah right
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748

Recent experience, Lenovo Laptop (refurb fortunately, so avoided giving them money direct after the superfish thing).
    Linux, install Fedora 22 Jam. I did fiddle with partitions, but only because it's also got windows on it. Everything working out of the box. About 30GB allocated to the linux disc, about 22GB free. Firefox, thunderbird, various office and music related stuff in place.
    Windows, windows install, actually slower than Linux. Then spend an evening downloading and installing drivers (first copy the network drivers over on USB drive). Firefox, thunderbird and avast installed, most of the 40GB allocated to it taken up.
    Why windows at all then? Well, Skype, which still doesn't do multicall on linux (in fact hasn't had many improvements on linux since MS bought it...), and silverlight, which sky and amazon insist on using for their streaming services (in amazon's case there is a flash version, which you can't use unless you have silverlight bizarrely).
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4699
    Now I love Linux, have a number of Raspberry Pi's performing certain server type functions around the house.
    Work wise Linux is the go-to server operating system, but mainly because the average Linux admin is better qualified
    compared to the average Windows server admin. But both run SAP perfectly fine.

However as a desktop operating system I've never really taken to linux. From a look at feel point of view it just does 
    not seem polished, fonts all look a bit soft, there is no real GUI design guide developers should use when developing apps
    so they all work a little differently.

Now if you look at the Mac that has openBSD at it's heart, they have built a great although over simplified UI, that looks polished and most app developers stick to design principles (except bloody Android phone download programs that insist on sticking photos anywhere else but the photos folder).

Also why is it when I VNC into a Windows box I get my default user environment as default, but when I VNC into a linux box I just get a blank screen with a few right click menu options (i.e. terminal)

There are many elements that just don't work out of the box on linux, yes basic hardware may run, but if you have anything out of the ordinary like an audio interface, you will have no luck. Using an X windowing environment such as Xming, etc can be difficult to get right depending on the distro you are using. Why can't a terminal window discover the display IP you are using and automatically push gui's to your screen without having to declare Environment variables.
    Although that is again one thing missing from windows, the ability to call a program on a different Windows box but display it locally,

• WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    I have 2 windows phones so have updated one to the10. It's buggy as hell at the moment, but i am sure it will get better

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12510
    The thing is, unless you know what you're doing and are confident with computers, you're just not going to touch anything like Linux. I haven't got a clue about stuff like that, most of my mates are the same, maybe it's an age thing. Windows is a known evil, we might moan about it but it's the safe option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    What happened to Windows 9?

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    GazLion said:
    What happened to Windows 9?

Confusion with Windows 9x
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    I am in the market for a laptop computer to run Daphile.  It will be used as a music server.  I know nothing about Daphile but a friend of mine does and I will get him to set it up for me.

I have reserved Windows 10.  Anyone know when it will be delivered?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    boogieman said:
    The thing is, unless you know what you're doing and are confident with computers, you're just not going to touch anything like Linux. I haven't got a clue about stuff like that, most of my mates are the same, maybe it's an age thing. Windows is a known evil, we might moan about it but it's the safe option.
    To be fair, I know people who are completely unable to work windows too. They will avoid Linux because they see it as difficult, but make just as much mess trying to use windows as they would on linux, the only difference will be there's more likely to be someone nearby who can show them what they're trying to do (or often, do it for them).
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12510
    edited June 2015
    imalone;658490" said:
    boogieman said:

To be fair, I know people who are completely unable to work windows too. They will avoid Linux because they see it as difficult, but make just as much mess trying to use windows as they would on linux, the only difference will be there's more likely to be someone nearby who can show them what they're trying to do (or often, do it for them).
    Fair point. I know just about enough to do simple fixes on Windows, maybe I'm not as stoopid as I think.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    edited June 2015
    Rocker said:
    I have reserved Windows 10.  Anyone know when it will be delivered?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+10+release+date