The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Good win for your boys today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    At half time I thought that they would be comprhensively thrashed by the Kiwis if they played like that. Maybe just a common or garden thumping.

Ashton - not on his current form. Tomkins - no. Just no. Farrell, never rated him, wuld he be in the mix of Daddy wasn't on the coaching team?
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    edited November 2013
    Not a fan of Farrell myself, but he, plus Brown and yarde were pick of the backs. Mako Vunipolar is not a top scrummager and will be found out, they need carbs back ASAP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 578
    It was a team picked looking to 2015. Really low age profile and a decent win, but jaysus the Aussies were TERRIBLE in the second half. I do think England lack a bit of creativity in the backline. Farrell is really coming on though, varying his game.

Did you hear that stuff about Gatland only picking Andy Farrell over Shaun thingy on the Lions tour to get an idea of Englands moves before the RWC in 2015? Obviously bo--cks, but you wouldn't know what a man with the TEMERITY to drop BOD would do ;p....

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    edited November 2013
    tbm said:
    It was a team picked looking to 2015. Really low age profile and a decent win, but jaysus the Aussies were TERRIBLE in the second half. I do think England lack a bit of creativity in the backline. Farrell is really coming on though, varying his game.

Did you hear that stuff about Gatland only picking Andy Farrell over Shaun thingy on the Lions tour to get an idea of Englands moves before the RWC in 2015? Obviously bo--cks, but you wouldn't know what a man with the TEMERITY to drop BOD would do ;p....

that was only a bit of a joke, as there were hardly any English on there anyway, Farrell would have learnt far more about the Welsh. As for dropping bod, right man played and the proof was in the scoreline. Pity Bod was a good player in his day............years ago.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4942
     Pity Bod was a good player in his day............years ago.

He still is my friend.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    As for dropping bod, right man played and the proof was in the scoreline. Pity Bod was a good player in his day............years ago.

So they won because BOD wasn't playing? Interesting viewpoint. I think they won becuase the Aussies didn't have a pack.

Anyway, Gatland was here doing the media rounds a few weeks back promoting the Lions DVD (I think) and he was obviously asked question about it. He did quite well too I thought. He has history with the IRFU so there was some conspiriscy theories flying around but he dealt with things pretty well.

• tbm said:
    As for dropping bod, right man played and the proof was in the scoreline. Pity Bod was a good player in his day............years ago.

So they won because BOD wasn't playing? Interesting viewpoint. I think they won becuase the Aussies didn't have a pack.

Anyway, Gatland was here doing the media rounds a few weeks back promoting the Lions DVD (I think) and he was obviously asked question about it. He did quite well too I thought. He has history with the IRFU so there was some conspiriscy theories flying around but he dealt with things pretty well.

No they won because the best team was out on the pitch, not because one man was changed. Maybe they would have won with Bod, maybe not who knows now, but Gatland was vindicated in his selection. Bod is past it, still a handy player but everybody gets to a stage where body starts to take longer to recover and the injuries start to pile up.
    Bod should have retired before lions , that way his reputation would have been saved.
    Now he has been dropped, yellow carded which should have been red carded against Italy, and he is trying to hang on for another year, blocking replacements coming through for Ireland.

tbm said:
    Bod should have retired before lions , that way his reputation would have been saved.
    Now he has been dropped, yellow carded which should have been red carded against Italy, and he is trying to hang on for another year, blocking replacements coming through for Ireland.
    We'll agree to disagree on this.

Anyway, check out this amazing analysis of the 'unseen' work on the Lions tour. It really outs Gatlands smart and not so smart selections - http://dementedmole.com/2013/10/30/ruck-marks/

• I was surprised at how badly we played at times during the lions tour. I think the balance of the squad was not that great with too many Welsh and Irish and not enough scots or English. Great to get a series win, which is never easy, but hardly a vintage Aussie squad ! I thought as usual some players relied on their reputations and some enhanced them. Standouts for me was AWJ, Jon Davies and Leigh halfpenny for theWelsh, and Corbs and the Youngs brothers for English. O'Connell was usual aggressive workhorse, and was missed after injury, Sexton impressed me, and also Tommy Bowe was usual Quality player. But it will be interesting how all these guys perform over next six nations. Some should have retired is all I would say.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    But it will be interesting how all these guys perform over next six nations. Some should have retired is all I would say.
    this
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Well I still think leaving Laidlaw at home was madness. They were always going to play Gatlands brand of rugby, and given that had won the last few 6Nations you were always going to have a shedload of Welsh and - save for Phillips - I wouldn't have to many issues with the Welsh that travelled. I was very surprised to see that many Irish go given the 6 nations we had.

I still think Warbs as captain was a mistake. Should have given it to Matt Stevens.....

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Why indeed ? Workmanlike last week, and enabled the fist Aussie try :x
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Being given one more chance against a team England really should beat?

was just about to spout about Foden starting on the wing,  then read the pre-ample text
  • tbm said:
    Being given one more chance against a team England really should beat?
    Possible, but I don't see any reason he should be. Let's face it, if he can't hack Australia then he's just going to be a total liability against the All Blacks.
    <space for hire>
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    this is what I don't get, there's lots of wings playing well in the premiership at the moment, why pick him? If this is about finding a team for 2015, then try blooding a few proven performers. I sometimes wonder if Lancaster gets himself stuck in a ego loop, where he's put so much faith in some players he can't let them go.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

the two probable contenders are injured,  hence Foden's inclusion
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Lancaster has "his" players. If you're not one of them, you'll struggle to be in the team.