NGD - Squier Jaguar

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
As a lot of you know, I bought a Squier Jag from the Chappells sale... so here are my thoughts on it. 

The neck and body finish is excellent - and the neck is a really nice profile. Sadly the fretting isn't *quite* up to the standards of Jap or Mexican guitars and mine chokes on bends above the 12th fret straight out the box. I haven't changed the strings (they feel very light) or the bridge, see below, yet. The relief is about right, and the action is right for the board radius (ish) but the fretting is letting it down. Shame...

The bridge - I've had dealings with Jag and Jazzmaster bridges over the last 25years... and this is a lousy one. Rattly, badly tapped for the grub screws (too loose) and terrible plating. As a result return to pitch is a bit of a lottery and the tone is generally muffly as a result of the bad break angle and the rattles.

The trem unit. It clonks. The knife edge it pivots on is bad. Nope, not good enough.

The electronics - the pickups are OK, and the variety of tones from the electronics is very good. Its the first Jag I've played where the 'Rhythm" circuit is useable... well done, Squier.

So in all - is it a keeper? Maybe. I'm considering the costs of uprating all the bits that are a bit sub standard on it vs the cost of buying a different guitar currently... a Staytrem bridge, AVRI trem and a Staytrem arm are IMHO essential to make this thing stay in tune and give of its best. Then there's the choking... yes, I can do it myself but I don't really have the time so I'll probably pass it to someone to do... and maybe with a set of 11s and a quick tweek it will be better...

Disappointed? Yes, a little. I really wouldn't say its as good as my old Jap Jag (which some have said these are as good as) but perhaps its a good basis for some mods...

I won't be sending it back though - none of the things wrong with is are warranty issues really, and it was cheap enough. I can sell it as it sits for the same cash as I paid...

Anyway - a pic for your viewing pleasure... 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited November 2013
    I think you're being a little harsh on an out-of-the-box setup Jag tbh.
    I have one of these and it's as good as my 96 Japanese one. OK the bridge is a little shonky, but a little superglue is a cheap remedy. Although I have to say the bridge really IS the weakest link in this particular chain. Probably worth an upgrade.
    The neck really needs shimming on these. I found that it needed quite a big one to get a good break angle at the bridge, but once that's done you'll possibly find that a lot of the issues you have just disappear. 
    The trem doesn't operate on a knife-edge as far as I'm aware (in the strat-type sense of knife edge), as the whole thing moves on a spring, and the forward-backwards movement of the strings is translated to the rocking bridge. Obviously if you have a better break angle after shimming the neck, it should improve things. It'll also sort out the choking issue.
    An AVRI trem isn't necessary- I have a Squier J MAscis Jazzmaster with the same type of non-locking trem and it doesn't have any issues with tuning.
    Also, I'm assuming that you still have the stock strings on. BIN THEM! even a set of decent 10s on my Squier work beautifully. I always use 12s on my Jap one, but the Squier can handle 10s very nicely.

Edit- just noticed the point about the frets. Mine was OK so the above tweaks sorted it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Thanks for the input - I will have a go at shimming etc, but I can't abide superglue in threads that should be adjustable. I could consider using a proper threadlock, but having had a guitar with the Staytrem bridge (the Jeleguar that Stonevibe now has) I know its a fit and forget solution.

The trem doesn't have a knife edge - you are right - but it does pivot against an edge... and that's badly made, See diagram below:

The AVRI trem is much thicker/better made unit which can only enhance the tone - again, I fitted one to the Jeleguar so know that they are really good quality and worth the extra cash.

Reshiming the neck may affect the choking - but it may just be masking a symptom not curing a problem. I can see its not very well fretted by sighting the neck - it needs tlc.

I will have a go with bigger strings - I'll try a set of 10s tonight (the biggest I have).

• Hold out and put some 11s on it, I believe it comes with 10s (my classic player and jap thinline did).

I am glad you have said that it doesn't need shimming, because they dont unless you want some supershred machine setup on them. A little setup should do it wonders, do you have a radius gauge?

I have a VM Jazzy and my bridge is solid, the grubs haven't moved at all where as my thinline jap jag had lost several grubs until I used nail varnish on it. My trem seems fine too, the thing is always in tune. Luck of the draw I guess
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I've ordered some 11s. :-)

I don't know about the shimming - it may improve the break angle over the back of the bridge (it is very low to the body). But I don't think shimming will cure the choking on this example - that's just crap fretting/fret finish.

The grubs are loose as a loose thing in this bridge - believe me its a crap one! I had a suggestion from a mate on the Mustang bridge, but they are £40 on ebay... a Staytrem is £65. And the Staytrem is easily £25 better in terms of build... I may bodge the current bridge for now (been an expensive month) but I think it will be going to Landfill before the end of the year. :-)

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495

Luck of the draw I guess

I suspect this is the case. I remember reading when they first came out that it was a case of try three and find one good one. I may well have been lucky with my Jag. Certainly the VM Jazzmaster I tried at the same time was less than inspiring.
    You may well have got the Friday afternoon neck!
  • The mustang bridge will be 7.25 and your neck is 9.5, you will have to shim the bridge to change the radius if you go that route.

There is a Dutch store offering adjustable Mustang bridges

I have never used a staytrem, they seem so expensive for what they are. I know on offsetguitar.com most forumites have them and swear by them

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JadedJaded Frets: 129
    I have never used a staytrem, they seem so expensive for what they are. 
    Well if it's something you intend to play often, then it's not really that much for a bridge that fixes all the usual issues and gives you the peace of mind... and it's a damn sight cheaper than a Mastery bridge (about £160 I think). Plus it comes with either a 7.25 or 9.5 radius, bonus! 

Also, the Staytrem arm should be mandatory on all Jag/JM style vibratos :)
    I've had a Staytrem bridge in the past and it is *beautifully* made - tbh, its not a lot of money for something that well made. Its just been an expensive month, though!! :-)

• I have a mustang bridge you can have if you want, it's decent quality and I'll put some thread lok in.  It's not glue, it just makes them more solid, I use it on most guitars.

It's missing a screw though as I gave it to someone who lost their own! PM me if you fancy it, it seems decent made.  I got 2 by mistake, and the one on my jazzmaster stays in tune like a Floyd - seriously.  The bridge moves like it should in the cups, but the saddles are solid.  

it's vintage radius.  Which sadly doesn't match the 9.5" of my jazzmaster, but whatever, it's fun :)

Also, I used a jazzmaster vibrato from ebay and it's completely solid - no loose arm waggling, though I set it up with downtuning only as I use DADGAD sometimes and can't be arsed with a floating bridge!  It came from Papa d's, so it's a cheaper replacement than a staytrem.  Maybe I got lucky, but it's the best vibrato/bridge system I've used, because it always sounds musical, the break angle gives plenty of overtones and it stays in tune, even if I TRY and get it out.
    Thats very kind, PM incoming!! :-)

Public thank you time - thanks so much for the Mustang bridge. It's just turned a 'meh' guitar into something fun and great sounding. Tuning stability is 1000 times better and now the rattles and buzzes are gone, it has a great tone.
    I still need the thicker strings on it ( new set of 10s on there now) and I have shimmed the neck up to give a better break angle. I think it could go more, tbh but it'll do for now.
    The frets deffo need some levelling as there are still some rattles and choking on bends, sadly. The finances don't look great right now so that may need to wait til the new year or if I get a few hours to myself, I may get around to it...
    But big thanks again - that's made all the difference!!!

• No worries mate, like I said, this forum has done a great deal for me.

By the way, postage was just 90p! Royal mail don't always get it wrong, though me and @jookychap have had a bit of a laugh recently... When they get it wrong, they really get it wrong ;)

Good luck with the bridge. Hope it's alright! It did have some thread lok stuff on it, but it might need redoing at some point. I used very light duty stuff...
  • Heavier strings really help these things, my ex had one of these that wouldn't settle down until we put a set of 11's on there.