Semi Hollow S-Type hardtail with P90s

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Thankyou guys!

A little more done today, I've glued the maple top onto the body and it's clamped up for the weekend

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag118/wulfhere/FA8492B0-DDBB-45DE-92BF-2743D4EE43E4_zpsgj66vdr4.jpg

On Monday it will be unclamped and with any luck I can get the router trimmer bit on it and I'll have something very much approaching the body. No belly carve or arm chamfer on this BTW. Planning to bind the top and use a very small rad round over on the bottom (tele-like)
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    A decent afternoon's work in the garage, first I unclamped the body and then used a trimmer bit to get the top flush with the body.

Also routed the neck pocket.

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag118/wulfhere/55513B87-BA55-4B94-8167-B39841AAD3D6_zpstzo9xpl5.jpg

Naturally, I couldn't help but put it together with the neck to see how it's looking :-)

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag118/wulfhere/6E2348ED-8E66-4FC0-9495-DACF85B24CAE_zpsaykunztm.jpg

Still a long way to go, but nice to be able to put the two major parts together!

I've accidentally routed the neck pocket to 17mm instead of 16 mm - hopefully won't be too bad once I've sanded the top down to make it smooth for painting. Recessing the bridge is always an option if it's a problem.

Tomorrow will be routing the pickup cavities and then I'll have a think about where I'm going to put my controls and pickup selectors. Have decided to not put f-holes on this one, so there's going to have to be an access panel.
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, I've been working hard this week on both the Strat and the J-Bass. The bass is ready to spray next week, and pretty sure the Strat is almost there too.

Was quite happy to get the binding done, I'd never done any before and I was worried about how is was going to turn out. Fortunately I had a scrap strat body that I cut out a couple of years ago but didn't do a very good job of (templates are everything...) so I practices on that first, learned what I needed to learn and then did it for real on the P90 strat. I'm very happy with how it turned out :-)

Here it is all taped up

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag118/wulfhere/12BC9FB4-4D54-4B49-8B96-2294F70FB68A_zpsuhwfsbaq.jpg

and here it is after unwrapping and sanding

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag118/wulfhere/62257EB8-8303-4151-8642-FBD94701391C_zpsavkc5nxx.jpg

You can also see that I've recessed the control knobs. This wasn't part of the plan but is a bit of a goof hider. I fitted the knobs and I actually really like it!

Okay, things were going well and I gap filled the J-bass with clear gap filler. That went well. I'd got some trans blue for the P90 strat thinking it would make the grain stand out nice. As soon as I put the first bit on I regretted it but there was no turning back. Horrible messy clumpy stuff! I won't be using it again! After a lot of work sanding down today (I gave it overnight to harden), I've got this effect...

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag118/wulfhere/F898F336-251A-432E-BBE8-84C7C917AA31_zps2nqlsvvk.jpg

The finish of going to be a trans blue fading out to black at the edges so I don't think a lot of this will be visible anyway.

The body is now sanded down to 400 grit and I think its ready for sanding sealer.

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag118/wulfhere/7FD5C2B0-B8DE-414F-B84A-538DD8412057_zpsf0zpd2fp.jpg

Let's hope for some dry weather next week so I can do some spraying!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2015
    Right, it's been a while but the P90 Strat is now built. I've not updated in the last few months because I've just had to snatch time when I can get it to work on the guitar and no one particular day seemed to warrant a full update. Here's the money shot:

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag118/wulfhere/B9A2B7F5-A081-4B33-8B67-943D4874AC49_zps6ez0hbea.jpg

The guitar is built, but it's not set-up properly, Mainly because I need to make a nut. The one I've used was one I got off ebay, but its string spacing seems to be slightly narrower than what I was expecting so I'll be cutting my own. Naturally I've had a play of it anyway and I'm really happy with the sound, having never played a guitar with P90s before it was a lot of fun discovering that, while I do have a little of the semi-hollow sound in there I was looking for.

Happy with the feel of the neck, feels like its a little bit of a soft V rather than the D shape I was going for (at least when played back to back with my Marr Jag), but I get a along with it. Still need to finish scraping the binding too.

Once it's set-up and playing properly I'll get a video up on youtube and post it here, just don't expect it to be for a while as we're about to move house!
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    Looks fantastic!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Nice job! Heres my take - GSP basses body (Mahogany Quilted maple thinline) and neck (Birds eye maple/Rosewood) big headstock locking tuners, Wilkinson half bridge, Old Tokai buckers, Green quink ink stain/Tru Oil....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's really cool @paulnb57 How does it sound? Any more pics?

Even though I haven't made a new nut and the setup is shocking (just no time to do it at the moment), I've not been able to resist having a good old capo at the 2nd fret thrash on my new axe and I'm well pleased with it. Never played a guitar with P90s before but absolutely love the sound of them. Neck feels nice on the guitar too and it certainyl seems to have its own individual voice. Just can't wait to finish it and play it more often.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Im gonna have to take more photos...sounds really good since fitting the Tokai humbuckers, originally it has Entwhisle Zebra buckers, didn't like them......I dont usually like 2 pickups (or more) so all the rest of my guitars only have 1 pup, I actually like both the Tokai pups....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    Looks great, but needs a Bigsby