when pickin'......

What's Hot

when pickin' down strokes does your hand rotate away from the guitar or does it rotate away from the guitar for up strokes?

sounds crazy but the motion of rotation away from the guitar/bridge can be used for either an up stroke or down stroke!!

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 907
    edited September 2015
    Depends which way you slant the pick. I keep it neutral so it doesn't move away or towards the guitar unless I want to change strings. To change strings I pick the down stroke by anti clockwise forearm rotation so the pick comes away from the guitar and over the next string ready for an upstroke. Unless I'm picking two notes per string. Then downstrokes go towards the body if I start on a downstroke or away if I start on an upstroke. Betcha sorry you asked!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My hand (where the fat part of the base of the thumb is) rotates outward slightly on upstrokes.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16310
    My hand (where the fat part of the base of the thumb is) rotates outward slightly on upstrokes.
    that's reverse to me Dan Dan
    tae be or not tae be
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7514
    edited September 2015
    I think the plane of rotation for me is basically paralell to the strings so there isnt a concept of "away".
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Mine changes - depends if I'm upward or downward pick-slanting. Tough to ingrain.

I guess what I'm getting on at is, imagine an upstroke on the B string from UNDENEATH the string rotating away from the face of the guitar now contrast that with an upstroke on the TOP of the string rotating into the guitar(towards your face)

tae be or not tae be
    Mine changes - depends if I'm upward or downward pick-slanting. Tough to ingrain.

T20 this is the question/answer I've been a searchin' for days now.......what you said there ^

this troy grady stuff about rotation AWAY from the face of the guitar for an UPSTROKE  when down slanting

does the "away" upstroke rotation change at all for an upstroke when UP SLANTING or is it the same...pick from underneath the string?

because if it stays the same, whether you are up or down slantin', the upstroke (rotate away) will be the same for both.....sort of a thing

tae be or not tae be

the type of rotation I am on about is explained here at 3:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcT7hAb3auM

tae be or not tae be
    edited September 2015
    My hand (where the fat part of the base of the thumb is) rotates outward slightly on upstrokes.

so you are pickin' from UNDERNEATH the string ?

tae be or not tae be
  • I think I'm marginally picking from on top of the string for both up strokes and down strokes but I could totally misinterpret what your saying, doesn't picking from underneath result in a really spanky sound?

I guess more like a pluck action than a pick?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Oh yeah I may also reposition my right hand laterally on the bridge depending on what im playing, especially for palm muting
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • hootsmon said:
    Mine changes - depends if I'm upward or downward pick-slanting. Tough to ingrain.

T20 this is the question/answer I've been a searchin' for days now.......what you said there ^

this troy grady stuff about rotation AWAY from the face of the guitar for an UPSTROKE  when down slanting

does the "away" upstroke rotation change at all for an upstroke when UP SLANTING or is it the same...pick from underneath the string?

because if it stays the same, whether you are up or down slantin', the upstroke (rotate away) will be the same for both.....sort of a thing

@ me if you want a reply as I might just forget about a thread :)

If you upslant it means when you downpick, the pick goes away from the guitar body. The up-pick will be toward the body. 

If you downslant it means when you downpick, the pick goes into the guitar body. The up-pick will be away from the body. 

Just watch more of the videos, they're helpful. You can't just use one technique (well, many famous players do, actually!!) - I think it's best to meld both otherwise your technique will be handicapped to cope with certain situations. Steve Morse doesn't do either.  The pick moves away from the body for up and down picks - but only very slightly.... which is how he can do fast arpeggios (alternate picked) across strings. I can do this to an extent but like I said, until it's internalised, there will always be some mistakes... 

There are a bunch of other things to consider but lets not muddy the waters for now!

Does that all make sense? I think Troy has done a great thing with his videos.

hootsmon said:

@ me if you want a reply as I might just forget about a thread :)

If you upslant it means when you downpick, the pick goes away from the guitar body. The up-pick will be toward the body. 

If you downslant it means when you downpick, the pick goes into the guitar body. The up-pick will be away from the body. 

Just watch more of the videos, they're helpful. You can't just use one technique (well, many famous players do, actually!!) - I think it's best to meld both otherwise your technique will be handicapped to cope with certain situations. Steve Morse doesn't do either.  The pick moves away from the body for up and down picks - but only very slightly.... which is how he can do fast arpeggios (alternate picked) across strings. I can do this to an extent but like I said, until it's internalised, there will always be some mistakes... 

There are a bunch of other things to consider but lets not muddy the waters for now!

Does that all make sense? I think Troy has done a great thing with his videos.

@thomasross20

I figure this is only valid when pickin' from UNDERNEATH the string as opposed to the top of the string!

tae be or not tae be
    it's UNDERNEATH string pickin' that causes the hand to rotate away from the guitar with an up stroke ala troy dude theory
    tae be or not tae be
  • At some point your pick is always going to be under the string
  • Any chance you could post a pic (or a few) of what you mean by picking underneath the string? Maybe we can see where your getting stuck.

All of my picking is with a downward slant on the pick. The only exception to this is when trying to sweep in an upward direction, which I wouldn't worry about for now if you're still honing your picking technique.

It sounds like as Thomas said earlier that you may be playing with an upward pickslant, meaning that your hand rotates out on a downstroke.

Perhaps the reason I gravitated to playing opposite to this, is that when I rest my hand on the bridge, the pick naturally sits at a slight downward angle. I never felt I could generate enough speed by deviating the wrist, it doesn't feel right to me, so started using the forearm rotation.

Any chance you could post a pic (or a few) of what you mean by picking underneath the string? Maybe we can see where your getting stuck.

All of my picking is with a downward slant on the pick. The only exception to this is when trying to sweep in an upward direction, which I wouldn't worry about for now if you're still honing your picking technique.

It sounds like as Thomas said earlier that you may be playing with an upward pickslant, meaning that your hand rotates out on a downstroke.

Perhaps the reason I gravitated to playing opposite to this, is that when I rest my hand on the bridge, the pick naturally sits at a slight downward angle. I never felt I could generate enough speed by deviating the wrist, it doesn't feel right to me, so started using the forearm rotation.

imagine you are about to play an upstroke on the B string.......pick from the underside of the string and in an exaggerated motion your hand and forearm will rotate away from the face of the guitar..........pick on the top of the string,, on the same upstroke, and your hand and forearm will rotate the other way (towqrds for face)
    tae be or not tae be
  • So sounds like you downslant your pick - like Yngwie.. ;)
  • You've a lot to live up to now! ;)
  •  

hootsmon said:

Any chance you could post a pic (or a few) of what you mean by picking underneath the string? Maybe we can see where your getting stuck.

imagine you are about to play an upstroke on the B string.......pick from the underside of the string and in an exaggerated motion your hand and forearm will rotate away from the face of the guitar..........pick on the top of the string,, on the same upstroke, and your hand and forearm will rotate the other way (towqrds for face)

Ok. I'm with you now. You are describing downward pick-slanting and upward pick-slanting respectively.

Which of those you use is down to your own preference. Which feels the most natural to you?

If you are downward slanting, the pick will be free of the strings after an upstroke. If you are up slanting the pick will be free after a downstroke.