The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Totally, and the scrum isn't up to par.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    We'll find out with Argentina - always good scrummagers.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • tbmtbm Frets: 578
    Joe Schmidts first Ireland team v Samoa:

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 46
    14. Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 51
    13. Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) 125
    12. Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 73
    11. Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 19
    10. Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster) 4
    9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 19
    8. Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) 57
    7. Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster) 8
    6. Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 16
    5. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 7
    4. Mike McCarthy (Leinster) 12
    3. Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster) 31
    2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 67
    1. Jack McGrath (St Mary's College/Leinster)*
    16. Sean Cronin (St Mary's College/Leinster) 27
    17. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 39
    18. Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon/Ulster) 5
    19. Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) 85
    20. Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster) 27
    21. Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster) 50
    22. Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster) 4
    23. Dave Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster)*

* Denotes uncapped player

Maybe Marshall ahead of D'arcy at 12 but otherwise I'm happy. Check out that bench for impact!

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    crikey,  dads army  - will they be wheeling out gouger o'drisoll in his bath chair ?     :D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited November 2013
    Ah here! Just becuase there hasn't been an decent OC in England since Will Greenwood  ;)

BOD is still the best outside center in the country, why wouldn't you pick him? he needs game time too. Outside of 12/13 there's plenty of sprite in the team. I reckon having Jackson at 10 meant picking O'Driscoll/D'Arcy in the centre. They know how Schmidt works. And in fairness, they've won a lot together.

Declan Kidney had a habit of emptying the bench at 75 mins, when invariably there was no time to change the game. Schmidt uses his bench. If Ireland are leading and the Samoans see POC, SOB and Cian Healy trotting on at 55/60 mins it's only going to get tougher for them.

except Greenwood was mainly inside   ;)   
    He generally wore 13 though right? and swapped depending on who was partnering him, Catt or Tindall.

he was known for his distribution and organisation,  mainly from the inside slot.  Certainly inside Tyndall

I used to wear 13,  played mainly inside,  but sometimes played left and right -  I hated outside.   I often played 10 tho,  that really foxed em    :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wales to lose to South Africa, All other home sides to win ! Would love to be able to say the opposite, but reality is, we ain't mentally strong enough to beat the big boys even though we are as big and powerful as we have ever been. we are still gonna get bullied, and I don't think Rolland is gonna help in the middle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    even though we are as big and powerful as we have ever been.
    Not quite. Roberts is out and Cuthbert and his first choice replacement Eli Walker are out. Good to know Adam and Gethin are both fit. Not quite sure I'm happy about Phillips being in, I just hope he doesn't have another off day, maybe now he really has to prove himself he'll step up.

Good that the roof will remain shut, I hope we can look forward to a good running game.
  • hywelg said:
    even though we are as big and powerful as we have ever been.
    Not quite. Roberts is out and Cuthbert and his first choice replacement Eli Walker are out. Good to know Adam and Gethin are both fit. Not quite sure I'm happy about Phillips being in, I just hope he doesn't have another off day, maybe now he really has to prove himself he'll step up.

Good that the roof will remain shut, I hope we can look forward to a good running game.

Roberts out is not that bad and issue as hopefully the ball will get from halfbacks to wingers instead of stopping in midfield, Scott Williams is no little guy either, over 6'. I do like Liam Williams as he has got an attitude to get in oppositions face, still reminds me of JPR and punches above his weight. Let's hope Lydiate has a stormer and chops the Boks down.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    loved the headlines on the BBC rugby web page; Whales; SA will be a bigger scalp than 99, England; we want to make a statement, Scotland, we will beat Japan. The scots setting the bar high there then. :D

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

yeah yay and tripple yahoooo -  mrs berts only gone and put sky-sports back on our virgin package just so I can watch the rugbino 

:D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So, that all went as expected. Wales were a little unlucky, no doubt. I've just seen the highlights of that one and JDII looked to be in great form before he went off. Wales should have done more with the amount of territory and possession they had though.

When England meet a really good pack, like this weekend, the backs will really be up against it. I can see them getting a proper spanking on Saturday.

Happy enough with the Ireland game. Putting 40 points on Samoa -  and keeping them tryless for the first time in 26 matches - was good, and some of the younger players - McGrath, Jackson - had solid games. But if we kick that much ball to the Austrialian backs we'll be crucified.

I really wanted France to beat NZ. They get away with murder. How they avoided giving up a penatly when the French were camped on their line over the last few minutes in beyond me.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23964
    Slightly closer to home, but I reckon the Saints have finally got a proper chance this year. Good depth in the squad unlike the last 5 years.

I'm a bit fed up with us being the nearly men!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Ashton clearly hasn't improved his chances if ANYONE else is fit. He really is a talentless poser at the moment.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Slightly closer to home, but I reckon the Saints have finally got a proper chance this year. Good depth in the squad unlike the last 5 years.

I've a ticket to Leinster/Saints in Lansdowne Rd in December. Should be a corker!

Mako's out for Saturday
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23964
    tbm said:

I've a ticket to Leinster/Saints in Lansdowne Rd in December. Should be a corker!

Jealous!

• I think Wales were unlucky with injuries and Allan Rolland's one eye constantly turned on them not SA, but the best team won, no doubt about that. Not sure who is left to play against Argentina, so should be interesting as I have tickets !