Anxiety/Panic attacks

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I used to get this every single night for a solid month. I had to stop smoking weed to get rid of it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207

That sounds eerily similar to something that I'd put down to physiological issues - how would you describe the feeling of dread? What I experience is usually just before I fall asleep - my heart starts beating really hard; not faster than normal, but it feels like it's going to jump out of my chest and leads to a really nasty feeling of terror. Sometimes it ends up with sweats, and almost always ends up with me not sleeping until about 4am.

Is that anything close to what you're talking about?

That sounds like pretty severe panic attacks to me.

Breathing exercises are really helpful, and if you can recognise the symptoms early you can nip it in the bud.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    That sounds eerily similar to something that I'd put down to physiological issues - how would you describe the feeling of dread? What I experience is usually just before I fall asleep - my heart starts beating really hard; not faster than normal, but it feels like it's going to jump out of my chest and leads to a really nasty feeling of terror. Sometimes it ends up with sweats, and almost always ends up with me not sleeping until about 4am.

Is that anything close to what you're talking about?

No.  That sounds a fair bit worse.  I get similar symptoms but just not quite as severe as you describe.  I sometimes get "shaky" too - but the whole experience never lasts more than about half an hour and I can usually get to sleep soon afterwards.
    The feeling of dread is like the worst case of butterflies you've ever had.  Like that feeling before a job interview when you know you haven't done enough preparation and they're going to rip you apart!
    I read on Mumsnet (yes, really) about taking a whole load of vitamins to help combat anxiety - omegas+calcium+magnesium+B vitamins.
    The story goes that Omegas help as mood stabilizers, Calcium & Magnesium work together as muscle relaxants and B vitamins work on the brain to keep everything cool and focused.

I've been taking the above for a couple of days and haven't felt have as bad as I did before.  Placebo maybe, but I'll take that....

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @RobDavies ; I get similar symptoms when the Docs put me on steroids. I definitely get paranoid. OOI, do you take any meds which alter at this time of year?, or does your diet change?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    mike_l said:
    @RobDavies ; I get similar symptoms when the Docs put me on steroids. I definitely get paranoid. OOI, do you take any meds which alter at this time of year?, or does your diet change?
    Mike, I don't take any meds at all - never have done, fortunately.  No change in diet either.....  I'm fairly convinced it's all down to change of routine.

Lucky Man Rob.

It does sound like it's down to a routine change

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24673
    Rob.... this feeling of 'dread' you get...   Just out of curiosity, have you had an ECG recently, and do you know what your cholesterol levels are like ?  I'm only mentioning it because apparently, a feeling of 'dread' is common in people who subsequently have heart attacks.  Not trying to make you more anxious or anything ! - but.... it might be worth getting checked out.  I don't know anything about you physically, but if you're in 'that' grouping - over 40, overweight, under-exercised, stressed, less than ideal diet etc, then it wouldn't do you any harm to get your cholesterol checked and a quick MOT on the ticker.  Your GP will be more than happy to oblige.. they get paid more for preventative stuff :-)
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1634
    edited August 2013
    Long post alert.

Some great advice in this thread. 

I have a background in mental health care and am pretty cuckoo myself.  :D

My take on anxiety:

1: Get it off your chest and you're halfway there. Had you discussed this with anyone before posting a thread on here?  Reassurance and offloading is key. You've already had a better night's sleep hearing that half the forum have had similar experiences. How about the missus? Mates? Relatives? 

2:  Cut caffeine intake right down. I'm pretty chilled these days but rarely drink more than two instant coffees in the AM, then decaff for the rest of the day. I like these self-imposed rules, they add structure and control. Same with exercise of any kind, not only are you improving your health, you are subconsciously dealing with your anxiety issues: win-win. I'm not exercising currently, but I know I'll be feeling anxious again at some point and so I'll reintroduce it. Being over 40 and a heavy smoker, the exercise will be a good thing for my ticker, so in a way - anxiety is saving my life. :)

3: Spiritual insurance. 

Discount nothing, you have nothing to lose. Pascal's wager: reason dictates god don't exist, but what do we know?? Why not give the proposal some merit and maybe benefit from it in the afterlife? 

Same goes for alternative remedies: current medical research might show that half of it is baloney, but what's the harm in trying? I suffer from hayfever at this time of year and it makes me anxious, drop a piriton one hour before bedtime - they can make you drowsy. If in ten years' time doctors identify Pollen Related Anxiety Syndrome, you'll laugh. If they don't, you'll maybe have slept better anyway.  ;)

10:  Why so serious?

Sisyphean wisdom: Yes life is pointless, life can be hard, yes we're all going to die, no - the universe doesn't care. Shake your fist at the fuckers and get on with it anyway. Laugh at your/our predicament, life is absurd, absurdity is FUNNY! Never grow up, embrace your inner clown.

Exhibit A)

Incorrect attitude

Exhibit B)

You're doing it right

5: Perspective

A few night sweats is not going to affect the ebb and flow of the tides, so 'turn off your mind, relax and float downstream'. 

Holidays can be nice but in reality they are a bleeding ball-ache, why do we put ourselves through it?? This is especially true of family holidays. Solution: think only of the beach, only of the sun beating off your skin, the kids gaining memories for life that you are helping provide, you absolute hero. Or, you know, speak to the missus and tell her you want to start exploring the benefits of caravanning...

In summary, I thumb my nose at the whole shebang and feel better for it.

\m/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    3: Spiritual insurance. 

Discount nothing, you have nothing to lose. Pascal's wager: reason dictates god don't exist, but what do we know?? Why not give the proposal some merit and maybe benefit from it in the afterlife? 

Same goes for alternative remedies: current medical research might show that half of it is baloney, but what's the harm in trying? I suffer from hayfever at this time of year and it makes me anxious, drop a piriton one hour before bedtime - they can make you drowsy. If in ten years' time doctors identify Pollen Related Anxiety Syndrome, you'll laugh. If they don't, you'll maybe have slept better anyway.  ;)

I don't agree with this. Alternative medicine is at best ineffective (otherwise it would be called medicine) and at worst can harm you. http://whatstheharm.net/alternativemedicine.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawk, right with yer. 

We're all surrounded by this syndrome and that syndrome, the only one I'm interested in is the fuck it syndrome. Which I'm practising on a daily basis, with limited results, I'm nothing if not dogged ( or is that dog eared....? )

:-\"

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    I went through this recently, Rob. I'm ok now though. My mum and dad died last year so I suspect that played a major part in it. Have a think about practicing mindfulness. It helped me.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I don't think I've ever seen someone use promotional photos of singers to promote "spirituality" or to give lifestyle and medical advice before. For shame the people who tagged that tripe as wisdom!!
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1634
    Drew_fx said:
    I don't think I've ever seen someone use promotional photos of singers to promote "spirituality" or to give lifestyle and medical advice before. For shame the people who tagged that tripe as wisdom!!
    You'd be forgiven for thinking this was a music related forum!

Here's one you might relate better to:

• bertie said:
    do you think that they may now be about apprehension, of the "pending" panic attacks themselves ?? -   so the attacks are brought on by the fear of them happening ?  

Sorry if this is repeating what someone else has said (I have not had time to read the whole thread), but this is part of the cyclical problem of panic attacks.  It's the same as when people try to help by saying 'don't worry about it' or 'you need to calm down' and in fact it just adds weight to the failure you feel at being taken over by a panic attack in the first place.

The only real way to stop the escalation is to recognise the onset and then do something that both distracts you and you enjoy.  I have found even headphones with a song that 'sucks you in' and you can concentrate on can be a great aid.

Panic attacks take an incredible amount out of you physically so explain to those around you that you need some rest and try and get a sleep in the day - especially if they are breaking up your night time sleep.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Would one of these mugs help ??

:D

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    I want one !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback