Gone off PRS

What's Hot

Comments

• My PRS guitars are (to me) the most complete giggable guitars in my herd which includes the usual suspects from F and G and a few boutiques. Totally dependable, with rock solid tuning and tonally very flexible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8629

Don't get on with Les Paul's ergonomially (agree a nightmare) or tone wise (muddy and sledge hammer like). Traditional Tele's aren't my bag tone-wise. SG's look horrible and aren't substantial enough. Tried PRS and they are almost too ergonomic, I find the body a slippery bugger when seated, and most i've tried have sounded meh. Love 335's but they're too big.

That's most of the classics out of thw way then!

I dn't understand the scale lenght thing though, within my small collection of 4 electrcis, there are three different scale lengths and I have no problem addapoting to each one, along with differing neck sizes it gives each guitar it's character.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    I find Les Pauls very comfortable, if the neck angle isn't too steep. (Most are though.) I don't even find the top-fret access much of a problem on the very rare occasions I play up there - I just reach over. And I have small hands…

Then again I find Teles more comfortable than Strats, and my Rickenbacker 381 is the most comfortable guitar ever, so I'm clearly weird.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fnptfnpt Frets: 766
    dindude;862349" said:
    Don't get on with Les Paul's ergonomially (agree a nightmare) or tone wise (muddy and sledge hammer like). Traditional Tele's aren't my bag tone-wise. SG's look horrible and aren't substantial enough. Tried PRS and they are almost too ergonomic, I find the body a slippery bugger when seated, and most i've tried have sounded meh. Love 335's but they're too big.That's most of the classics out of thw way then!I dn't understand the scale lenght thing though, within my small collection of 4 electrcis, there are three different scale lengths and I have no problem addapoting to each one, along with differing neck sizes it gives each guitar it's character.
    So basically you don't like guitars? ;)
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3487
    I like the sounds of Les Paul's but something about the ergonomics gets my goat, it's like the fretboard is angled, hurts my wrist. I do like prs guitars had plenty but sold them all. I know have a strat/tele hybrid and I've not felt the need for another guitar since.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    dindude said:

I dn't understand the scale lenght thing though, within my small collection of 4 electrcis, there are three different scale lengths and I have no problem addapoting to each one, along with differing neck sizes it gives each guitar it's character.

I don't understand it either, but it's a noticeable thing. I play a shorter Gibson scale with 11s and think it feels great. The longer Fender scale I can play with 10s or 11s and again it feels great. With the PRS scale though it just feels weird - whatever gauge strings I use it feels tight, for want of a better word. its just a feel thing, that's the only way I can explain it.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Haych;862409" said:
    dindude said:

I don't understand it either, but it's a noticeable thing. I play a shorter Gibson scale with 11s and think it feels great. The longer Fender scale I can play with 10s or 11s and again it feels great. With the PRS scale though it just feels weird - whatever gauge strings I use it feels tight, for want of a better word. its just a feel thing, that's the only way I can explain it.
    But there is less tension with a 25" prs scale vs 25.5" Fender. I think it's in your head dude.
    Adam_MD said:
    Haych;862409" said:
    dindude said:

But there is less tension with a 25" prs scale vs 25.5" Fender. I think it's in your head dude.

I never claimed it was rational.

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    My favourite shape is the telecaster but everything I own is a doublecut.

I quite like the shorter scale of PRS & Gibson but still gravitate towards towards the fender scale.

Something about the 25.5" scale and a superstrat body just feels like home.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    Les Pauls for me. Owned 2, didn't bond with either. Uncomfortable to play, and just didn't have my sound in there.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    TheMarlin;862101" said:
    I used to hate tele's, love them now.

I just can't get on with Les Paul's, I've never had one in my hand that felt right (except @Gassage Gilmouresque Les Paul, which is nice!).

I just got an SG with P90's, that's cured that gas for the time being :)  Sorry, PRS leave me cold.

Marlin
    I had a PRS 513 and cold is exactly what I would use to describe it as well. Just lifeless and sterile

:)
  • I don't understand why people find LP's uncomfortable, I have no problems with the ones I've played other than the fact they are a bit heavy. It might be the position it's played in, I play my LP and my Strat in completely different positions.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Strat for me, in other people's hands they sound sublime. In my hands they sound thin and feel like a toy made of plastic.
    I don't understand why people find LP's uncomfortable, I have no problems with the ones I've played other than the fact they are a bit heavy. It might be the position it's played in, I play my LP and my Strat in completely different positions.

Mostly agree with you. Sometimes accessing the upper frets is a pain but apart from that I love them. I've not played an Axcess model LP yet but the neck joint looks much easier for playing high past the octave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    grungebob said:
    I like the sounds of Les Paul's but something about the ergonomics gets my goat, it's like the fretboard is angled, hurts my wrist.
    The fretboard *is* angled - that's what I don't like about most of them either. 50s ones and some modern Historic ones have a much lower angle - it's the first thing I look for on any Les Paul. If the neck angle is as low as they get, it's OK for me. Anything much steeper and it isn't. Sadly this mostly limits me to ones I can't afford… :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BGGBGG Frets: 703
    I find it odd when folk say I don't like Les Pauls, strats, teles, PRS etc it's like saying I don't like jazz or blues.

There are sooooooooo many variations on each model, woods, electronics, neck profiles, tone etc etc you can't rule them all out ;)
    Bit like the original post only owning PRS SE and CE, have you tried a CU22 ? an early one or a recent one ? what about a Santana ? a DGT ? Tremonti ? McCarty ? Archtop McCarty ? Hollowbody ? etc etc .... you see my point ? ;)
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    Les Pauls for me too.
    Lusted for a decade then bought one. It didn't fit me, I tried to love it but it didn't work out so I sold it on and built a guitar instead.
    And then I discovered Teles!
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    Sarge said:
    Yes I know that one only too well, I lusted after a Squier master series Esprit.
    After years n years of reading hugely positive reciews I finally managed to land one, what a disappointment it was, it had only neen played for a few months then hung on a wall for 7 years prior to me buying it so was in excellent stock condition, yet it felt like it had been built by kids in preschool, never again!
    Bugger it Sarge. Same as you here I just love the look of the Esprit and nearly landed one a couple of months ago. Was it really that bad?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    edited November 2015
    I've had 3 PRS. I only liked the CE22 so far and I had to replace the pickups for that. Also replaced the frets with stainless steel ones and thats helped things.

In my opinion the CE's sounded like absolute dog shit until I changed the pickups. The custom 24 was okay but I always picked up my LP Custom instead.

I've got a CE24 coming that I bought mid last year and has spent 18 months being glued back together (UPS) so hopefully I'll like that.
  • The thing that I struggle with on LPs is how high the strings are off the body at the bridge...I like resting my hand on the guitar body and I can't really do that on an LP....it's just a question of getting used to it though.