Synths - Knowledge needed

What's Hot

Sooooooo

Gas has hit, and as always it's hit hard. I was researching gifts for synth players, and came across the Volca Keys (which isn't out here yet), and thought, "Oh, I'd quite like one of those". Upon further consideration, I've "justified" spending a bit more and getting a microkorg.

I am a complete synth/keys novice. However, I know basic chord shapes, and I'm sure I can play some basic leads. PLus my wife played piano as a yoof, so we'll work something out.

The connumdrum I have now is how to set it up. Upon reading lots, it appears that guitar amps simply will not do. And i certainly don't want ot forego the chewy basslines I've got in my head. On Thomann, there's a bundle with the synth and some 3" "production monitors". So I looked into monitors a bit more, and found these

http://www.akaipro.com/product/rpm3

All I'm really going to be doing is playing at home (possibly with a looper), and probably be recording some stuff in GarageBand.

Will the above speakers do a reasonable job, and can I have them hooked up to be output for my synth as well as my Mac?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd suggest hearing them first, as I wonder just how well a three-inch speaker cone will produce the bass frequencies you're after.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    edited December 2013
    Get a bunch of demo's of various soft synths kicking first- with a cheap midi controller (ideally used).

Nothing gets old faster than a 'new' synth sound- and resale goes with it.
    I have a rack of synths from the 1980's that cost THOUSANDS when new and are worth nothing now.

Work out what you need from a hardware synth that you cannot get from a soft synth and then go for it.
    Until then, beware.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    As far as an amp goes if you want a stand alone one then depending on budget I have had good results from the Behringer K3000FX which is more than loud enough for the house and loud enough for pub gigs.

At home it has the advantage of being able to function as a rudimentary PA with 4 inputs and basic FX available and outs to send the mix to a desk or recorder.

If you don't rate Behringer then I would look at the Peavey KB range and the Roland KC amps, better specced etc but more candy too.

I have owned amps from all three and they were all more than competent with the Behringer punching well above its weight.

So you go with the best in your budget.

I only moved away from keyboard amps when I bought a set of powered PA speakers and a desk making a keyboard amp redundant.

Powered monitors like the link @ROOG gives above are also very good but for my money with keys I like a 12" or preferably a 15" speaker to do justice to the low end they can produce.

As far as synths go a year ago I was looking at similar units to the ones mentioned and in the end after trying them out at a store I went with a Roland Gaia and then a 2nd user Roland Juno G.

The Gaia is well worth a look and has some great VA emulations of old skool synth sounds as well as PCM waves of pianos etc.

The advantage is you get the onboard sounds and both can be used to control VST's etc easily and indeed they can both be used as basic recording interfaces too.

That way when the onboard sounds get dated as @Octatonic says they surely will, you can still use them to trigger virtual instruments and MIDI shizzle off board and on your puter.

The Gaia in particular has a huge array of knobs because it has no menus as such and is designed to be tactile in the old fashioned real time control way with loads of knobs and sliders.

But as has been said a controller keyboard is a good way to go too but where a synth wins is if you cannot be arsed taking your puter or laptop with you and you can use the synths for its onboard sounds in that case.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935

Good info, thanks very much guys.

I reckon I'll be going doewn the microkorg and monitor route, as I think I can pick ththose up relatively cheaply, and move them on for little or no loss if it doesn't work out for me.

There's always the possibility I'll ditch the whole plan and buy a strymon big sky, or a blue sky plus a cv tele!

Microkorg came yesterday.

Only had a few moments with it, but I am LOVING it!

Coupled with my bass vi, I think I'm gonna have some fun in garageband tonight!

Buying secondhand, it's so much instrument for the money!

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3254
    edited December 2013
    octatonic said:

I have a rack of synths from the 1980's that cost THOUSANDS when new and are worth nothing now.

Work out what you need from a hardware synth that you cannot get form a soft synth and then go for it.
    Until then, beware.
    Second that I have a Prophecy MU80 and Korg05 bought for good money door stops now! 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    octatonic said:

Work out what you need from a hardware synth that you cannot get form a soft synth and then go for it.
    Until then, beware.
    Second that I have a Prophecy MU80 and Korg05 bought for good money door stops now! 

Bit late for that nugget now man :)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    *Don't* get a Micro Korg over the Volca Keys. The Micro Korg is infinitely the worser sounding synth. The Volca Keys is an analog synth too, and if you're into those vibes, will give you way more pleasure than the digital schmuckery of the Micro Korg.

Plus.... you don't want to look like a twat on stage do you? Micro Korg is instant twat status in my book! ;)

Depends what you want though... you could get a Minibrute if you don't mind a monosynth.
    Drew_fx said:
    *Don't* get a Micro Korg over the Volca Keys. The Micro Korg is infinitely the worser sounding synth. The Volca Keys is an analog synth too, and if you're into those vibes, will give you way more pleasure than the digital schmuckery of the Micro Korg.

Plus.... you don't want to look like a twat on stage do you? Micro Korg is instant twat status in my book! ;)

Depends what you want though... you could get a Minibrute if you don't mind a monosynth.
    Check a couple of posts up! As long as I don't take it onstage, I guess I'll just be THAT twat in my living room :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Lol what a c*nt

What the fuck is a chewy bassline? 
    :P
    @Cirrus, are you calling me a cunt?
    No, Drew FX for his "Don't get a Micro Korg" faux pas!  :))
    But what is a chewy bassline?
    Wasn't a faux pas, I was just late to the party.

Well, I'm pleased. All I really want to be able to do is make blade runner soundscapes in my living room with my headphones on :)

I guess a chewy bass line is deep, with a reasonable bit of slow modulation on it...cchhheeewwwwyyyy
    Do you have an iPad by any chance? There is some good stuff you can get there too.
    Drew_fx said:
    Do you have an iPad by any chance? There is some good stuff you can get there too.

No, only got an iphone. It does seem like there's a load of great software for ipads though. Quite like garageband on the mac, apart from the drum tracks, which feel a bit pre prescribed. I think i can use the korg as a midi controller to programme some drum tracks myself in GB
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    There's a few good free synths on my iPhone - Core Synth and Alchemy are the best I've found. I guess someone makes a midi interface so you could control them from your Korg. Soundprism is great, not a conventional keyboard input but very intuitive. Also some Tenori-On things (Beatwave & Tone Pad) are fun.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Microkorgs own. I know everyone uses them/guns them and they're not all that it terms of sound but I love anything thats cheap and gets people making music, thats where the real innovation is.