Gone off PRS

What's Hot

Comments

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Les Pauls and Strats for me... 

I could never get on with the scale neck in combination with the body on a Les Paul yet would be happy with an SG or Jaguar...

Strats just felt too plasticy for my liking and i also think i have been turned off throughout the years with that style being so iconic that it is generally what the layman thinks when you say electric guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    BGG said:
    I find it odd when folk say I don't like Les Pauls, strats, teles, PRS etc it's like saying I don't like jazz or blues.

There are sooooooooo many variations on each model, woods, electronics, neck profiles, tone etc etc you can't rule them all out ;)
    Bit like the original post only owning PRS SE and CE, have you tried a CU22 ? an early one or a recent one ? what about a Santana ? a DGT ? Tremonti ? McCarty ? Archtop McCarty ? Hollowbody ? etc etc .... you see my point ? ;)
    True, but why would I go through 20 guitars looking for the "right" Les Paul when I can pick up most telecasters and feel at home on it?
    I agree @gearaddict, the strings are too high off the body, and I find the neck angle too large, and coupled with the large heavy body and sharp angles I find it uncomfortable to play both sitting and standing, and then there's the fact that I love how other people sound on them, but hate how I sound on them, no attack or "spank" IMO
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    edited November 2015
    strtdv;863286" said:
    BGG said:

I find it odd when folk say I don't like Les Pauls, strats, teles, PRS etc it's like saying I don't like jazz or blues.

There are sooooooooo many variations on each model, woods, electronics, neck profiles, tone etc etc you can't rule them all out ;)Bit like the original post only owning PRS SE and CE, have you tried a CU22 ? an early one or a recent one ? what about a Santana ? a DGT ? Tremonti ? McCarty ? Archtop McCarty ? Hollowbody ? etc etc .... you see my point ? ;)

True, but why would I go through 20 guitars looking for the "right" Gibson when I can pick up most Fender and feel at home on it?I agree @gearaddict, the strings are too high off the body, and I find the neck angle too large, and coupled with the large heavy body and sharp angles I find it uncomfortable to play both sitting and standing, and then there's the fact that I love how other people sound on them, but hate how I sound on them, no attack or "spank" IMO
    Fixed that for you.

I think the point he is making is that lots of people seems to write off PRS as a brand but they say they like a specific model of Gibson or Fender.

As opposed to "I can't stand Gibson but love my NF3."

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    edited November 2015
    I have to admit, though... the guitar I enjoy playing a lot right now is my Suhr Pro S4. It's so lightweight (and the lightweight gig bag is great - easy to haul to practice) and it has a lot of "character" - I think I'm really getting a thing for 22-fret HSS strat-type guitars. I've got a love/hate thing going on with the 59/09s in my purple Cu24. Sometimes I think "wow" and it always cuts through in the mix but the in-between sounds aren't as good as with 57/08s on the orange one. TBH sometimes I think I have one too many HH guitars and could sell to fund a proper PC setup for audio/visual but would lose so much on it. Other option is a pickup change.

I'd love to try this for £900 (24 fret version, though)!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    The thing that I struggle with on LPs is how high the strings are off the body at the bridge...I like resting my hand on the guitar body and I can't really do that on an LP....it's just a question of getting used to it though.
    That's also why you need a Les Paul that's built properly… which sadly few of them are.

The correct neck angle means that the bridge is much lower on the body. Ideally the height wheels should be 1/8" from the top or less - there's no need for them to be any higher to give the full adjustment range.

Finding one like that without buying a genuine 50s one is the hard part.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Any spare Les Pauls can be handed over to me. They're my favourite Electric. I've got 5 at present. 

On the other hand, I don't get the PRS vibe - never fancied one at all (and that's coming from a doctor!!).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25095
    Haych said:

Anyone else ever wanted a guitar so bad but it ended up being not quite what you imagined?

Lots of guitars have come and gone over the years (usually at a loss), I did a great deal of impulse buying... one-offs like a Tyler and a Huber, various PRS and Hamer models.  Also many more ordinary things like Strats and Les Pauls, but I now have examples of both which I like.

One thing springs to mind which I wanted for years, really took my time, didn't rush into a purchase, but when I finally got one I just didn't bond with it at all - a Fano Alt de Facto SP6.

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    edited November 2015

Had a stunning LP a few years go  just couldn`t bond with it , my junior though is awesome.

The parscaster  tele I put together a few months ago is amazing ( not cos I made it , but the neck is the best I`ve ever played).

I don't like guitars that are too fancy , been through that phase ,

I`ve had a few PRS SEs , and only kept my old mahogany SE Standard , because I love the wide-thin neck ,and the sustain , but the pups were a bit bland ,so I swapped them out for a couple of SDs , a TB14 custom 5 , and a Pearly Gates neck ,

http://i.imgur.com/DvgDa9B.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M9dVMHh.jpg

now it looks and sounds like that hobo you just wouldn`t argue with.

I was going to put that second pic up for this years calendar , just for a laugh. 

I`m considering changing the logo to a proper Paul Reed Smith one , just to freak some people out . :D

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ajaxajax Frets: 76
    That's a fine looking piece of beater there

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28396
    I've done my PRS phase. Bought a real peach about 5 years ago. Kept it for 2 years and loved it, but ultimately let it go. Don't think I'll ever get another PRS, I kind of feel, been there, done that.
  • My experiences with PRS are the same. No problems playing them but I just felt a bit "meh". I do like a good Tremonti though and wouldn't rule one out in the future.

Wouldn't say there's anything I can't get on with but obviously there's those I prefer. Les Pauls are my go to guitars (I have 3 now, one custom, one trad and one with P90s) and they all do something slightly different. Also have a midtown which feels kinda similar.

Also love a good fender for different uses. Have a strat and a Charvel for those 80s moments. I'd quite like a Tele at some point, oh and a suhr. And a firebird. And a SG. And an explorer

Wait, maybe this is the reason I've got too many guitars...
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    BGG said:

There are sooooooooo many variations on each model, woods, electronics, neck profiles, tone etc etc you can't rule them all out ;)
    Bit like the original post only owning PRS SE and CE, have you tried a CU22 ? an early one or a recent one ? what about a Santana ? a DGT ? Tremonti ? McCarty ? Archtop McCarty ? Hollowbody ? etc etc .... you see my point ? ;)
    but i genuinely don't like jazz....
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    underdog;862659" said:
    Strat for me, in other people's hands they sound sublime. In my hands they sound thin and feel like a toy made of plastic.
    This. My mate plays one at practice. Sounds snappy and clear, like a strat should, when he plays it. When I play one, it's death by treble.
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    I've always found that when I play a Strat, especially when it's not plugged in. I know it's not an acoustic, but it has got a plastic soundboard.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi 
    I say the following with my tongue firmly in cheek having read the whole two pages of this thread I have to say as much as we like what we like.

What a bunch of neurotic Diva's 

oooh this ones a bit fat, oooh this ones a bit thin, ooh its sterile, cant play a note on one of those, etc etc etc.

If every other guitar brand did not exist in some future reality and the only guitar was PRS would the world be full of soulless music. 
    Would their be no great songs or great solo's that make the hairs on your neck stand up me thinks not.

my final thought is its the plank you are the guitarist :-)

This is why the Mrs call's this  place the knitting circle every time I am on here. Ha Ha
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4318
    The sooner everyone stops waffling, sells their superfluous guitars, settles down with a 335, like we all know is going to happen eventually anyway, the better. You know it makes sense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Always wanted a PRS since the late 80s, but every time I've played one I've found it uninspiring.

A guitar had to feel right in your hands and sound right according to what's in your head. That's going to be different for each of us.

My current squeeze is an EchoPark, it's a bit ugly but it's the most inspiring electric guitar I've ever played.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32376
    ICBM said:
    That's also why you need a Les Paul that's built properly… which sadly few of them are.

The correct neck angle means that the bridge is much lower on the body. Ideally the height wheels should be 1/8" from the top or less - there's no need for them to be any higher to give the full adjustment range.

Finding one like that without buying a genuine 50s one is the hard part.

That's just your preference though, it's not "correct". Maybe you should buy a 52, they're so correct they're unplayable. ;) My own preference is for highish bridges, but then I grew up with archtops, of which the Les Paul was a deliberate development.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    p90fool said:
    That's just your preference though, it's not "correct". Maybe you should buy a 52, they're so correct they're unplayable. ;)
    Not with the right bridge they aren't - they're perfect :).

I've been seriously considering it - they reissued them a few years ago. A friend of mine had one for sale which I would have bought if it hadn't been for the dodgy headstock wood grain. (I was right, it fell off after a very minor knock when the next owner had it.) Then I could put a Bigsby on it as well without leaving the stoptail anchors visible too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein