Pickup Pole screws can I use stainless?

What's Hot
I have one of these pups fitt d to an Epi EB - 0 bass 

It screws direct to the body and is miles away from the strings, so I have wound the allen screw pole screws up to get them nearer the strings...could I use stainless cap head allen bolts instead of the ones fitted, purely for aesthetics, would stainless affect the tone or performance? Cheers Paul
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NickLNickL Frets: 160
    Someone with more knowledge might correct me on this, but I don't think stainless steel polepieces would work at all because it's non-ferromagnetic.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11878
    edited December 2015 tFB Trader
    Many stainless alloys are not magnetic ... you would have to test any threaded slugs you try
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Given how massively overpowered and muddy-sounding that pickup is, having it half an inch from the strings is probably a good thing. I would put the polepieces back down to the normal height and not worry about it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3219
    edited December 2015
    ICBM said:
    Given how massively overpowered and muddy-sounding that pickup is, having it half an inch from the strings is probably a good thing. I would put the polepieces back down to the normal height and not worry about it...actually like the sound of the pickup, agreed it's a bit of a one sound pony, but a huge improvement on the original Sidewinder
    Lol,

I like the pickup, granted it's pretty much one sound, but it's a huge improvement on the original Sidewinder...
    I've ordered black steel Allen cap screws.......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    ICBM said:
    Given how massively overpowered and muddy-sounding that pickup is, having it half an inch from the strings is probably a good thing. I would put the polepieces back down to the normal height and not worry about it...actually like the sound of the pickup, agreed it's a bit of a one sound pony, but a huge improvement on the original Sidewinder
    Lol,

I like the pickup, granted it's pretty much one sound, but it's a huge improvement on the original Sidewinder...
    Watch out .... one thread may be imperial and the other metric ... granted the bobbin/keeper material will probably be soft enough for the screw to cut its own thread, but you won't be able to return the pickup to 'stock' without loose poles.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

edited December 2015
    I swear one day I will launch this bloody ipad!

edited December 2015
    I swear one day I will launch this bloody iPad

edited December 2015
    I swear one day I will launch this bloody iPad!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Technical fail!

paulnb57 said:
    ICBM said:
    Lol,

Watch out .... one thread may be imperial and the other metric ... granted the bobbin/keeper material will probably be soft enough for the screw to cut its own thread, but you won't be able to return the pickup to 'stock' without loose poles.
    What I meant to say was, 

Thanks for the heads up!

I emailed DiMardio about the thread size of the pole pieces (10/32 x 5/8) and ordered steel cap headed allen screws the same size, the difference being the cap head, which wil protrude above the top of the pup sufficently.......thats the theory anyway. I used to work in engineering, so will go by "feel" and if it feels wrong I will stop an go back to the originals......

Bloody iPad!