Jazzmaster Project Cost Cutting

What's Hot
Hi, I am planning to build a Jazzmaster but wanted to see if I could get anything cheaper. I will be using a custom Thinline body from GSPBasses and so that cannot be changed.

The current price list looks something like this:

Body GSPBasses Body 160
Neck Mighty Mite Stratocaster Neck 89.75
Finish Wudtone Colourless 17.99
Bridge Wilkinson Roller Bridge 24.5
Tremolo Jazzmaster Trem 89.99
Pickups Mojo 58-61 Set 80
Wiring Harness Mojo Wiring Harness 80
Pickguard Allparts Tort 22.4
Tuning Machines Wilkinson EZ Lok 34.99
The biggest saving I can see are the trem, and the wiring harness but I don't have a soldering iron so would have to factor that in if I buy the harness from somewhere else.

Thanks for any help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JXGJXG Frets: 18
    The tuners are 23 quid from northwest guitars. Allparts used to do an unbranded jm style term that was about half the price of the fender one. There's a few things you haven't got on there mind - strap buttons and screws, neck plate and screws, string retainers and screws, scratch plate screws, but. You'll need a soldering iron for the bridge earth anyway too. I'd try and get all the hardware from one place in one order to save postage
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16956
    You could save money on the finish. Not a comment against wudtone but oil and wax will be a cheaper way of getting a natural finish. Just depends what you are after.

Of course you could go the other way and send it out for paint. That will make wudtone look cheap
    Actually just looked on axesrus - they do a jm style trem for 25 quid, the tuners are 23 quid there too, and they do roller bridges for about 25. You'll need knobs too...
  • A soldering iron can be bought for about £10.  

Der Jung tuners are pretty cheap and not too bad, made in the same factory as Grovers I think.
    earwighoney;954403" said:
    A soldering iron can be bought for about £10.  

Der Jung tuners are pretty cheap and not too bad, made in the same factory as Grovers I think.

They will get you buy and work fine, although the quality step up with grovers is quite noticeable... Just because they are made in the same factory does not mean they are made to the same price point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • you can buy an used mim or mij for less and put some mojos in it.

Is that not an option?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I've got a feeling @JookyJr found a good cheap neck from China on fleabay
    Stop crying, start buying
    meltedbuzzbox;954428" said:
    you can buy an used mim or mij for less and put some mojos in it.

Is that not an option?
    ^ this. Get the new body from GSP and Mojo pickups, swap all the bits onto the new body, sell the old body and pickups

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    JXG;954434" said:
    [quote="meltedbuzzbox;954428"]you can buy an used mim or mij for less and put some mojos in it.

Is that not an option?
    ^ this. Get the new body from GSP and Mojo pickups, swap all the bits onto the new body, sell the old body and pickups

[/quote]

That is a good idea. Is there anything I should look out for in particular?
    meltedbuzzbox;954428" said:
    you can buy an used mim or mij for less and put some mojos in it.

Is that not an option?
    The main thing for me is the body, I am planning a top bound thinline with a walnut top and swamp ash back.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    tFB Trader
    I have Wilkinson EZLoks for £17.50.
    Get them when you order the neck.
    :-bd
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    It sort of depends what you are trying to achieve. For £94, you could get one of these kits to get a number of the parts off: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Seattle-Jazz-Electric-Guitar-DIY-Kit/PZU A number of us used this as our base for the 2014 challenge. I am still using mine as my main gigging guitar. The neck was fine, I found the trem OK, used like jazz master trems should be (i.e. in moderation) but I did upgrade a number of items, including the tuners and bridge and ended up with a great guitar...costing about £450! But, with finishing materials and everything else from the kit, that could have been £110 for a perfectly reasonably playing guitar.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29140
    I'd suggest not trying to save too much; you don't want to spoil the experience by compromising too far.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Sporky said:
    I'd suggest not trying to save too much; you don't want to spoil the experience by compromising too far.

^^^^ wise words, these ^^^^
    I'll take a look at where I can save money without too much compromise. The next step is convincing my parents to let me spend the money. For some strange reason they think that 2 guitars is one too many!
  • WezV said:
    You could save money on the finish. Not a comment against wudtone but oil and wax will be a cheaper way of getting a natural finish. Just depends what you are after.

Of course you could go the other way and send it out for paint. That will make wudtone look cheap
    exactly what products, re oil and wax, are you referring too to do base coats, and top coat, and satin or x gloss etc  comparable to Wudtone. How much do you think can be saved @WezV?
  • your price on the Vibrato is waaaaay over. Import a US AVRI trem unit for about half that. Go on Reverb.com, make an offer on any number of the gazillion for sale. You'll be able to get a brand spanking new one to your door for sub fifty quid.
  • WezV said:

exactly what products, re oil and wax, are you referring too to do base coats, and top coat, and satin or x gloss etc  comparable to Wudtone. How much do you think can be saved @WezV?
    http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/58345161.jpg
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypwudtone;957188" said:
    WezV said:

While WezV is a great guitar builder I agree with Andy that you can't get a complete finish for much less than £18 and it's not worth the extra hassle.
    edited February 2016

I thought we were simply talking about cost?  Hopefully we all accept that  cost cutting risks a reduction in quality and we don't need to debate that too much

So a natural finish can be had with Wudtone for £18 which will give you enough to do one guitar.   I have used the Wudtone natural finishes and quite like the feel and ease of application of the finish - but the question here is whether a natural finish can be achieved cheaper, or at least I thought that was what was expected by the OP???

Well a bottle of Danish oil from Wilko's costs under £4 for enough to do 3 or 4 complete guitars  (or enougth to do one guitar 3 or 4 times).   Thats the simplest natural finish I can think of.  Its one I know people have done in the past and been happy with, although it is quite a raw feeling finish so not suitable for all.   If @olafgarten was happy with a simple oil finish  he can still have a natural Jazzmaster for £4 of finishing costs.

I said Oil & wax,not just oil,  because thats the finish I prefer.  Its going to add to the cost but can still be done for £10-15 worth of finishing materials

Now for a really good high quality oil and wax finish I recommend Briwax and Rustins Danish oil (or tru-oil), but it  also needs a few other materials to get it really nice.  Its as much about the process as the materials you use.  So the price for one guitar will be comparable with the wudtone cost, but you are left with enough to do multiple guitars, or the same guitar multiple times.  I mention this because its not uncommon for DIY builders to need a couple of attempts to get it right.  Oil and wax is pretty foolproof in that regard.

I have to make these decision myself sometimes.  I have recently lacquered my LP build myself because I needed it done cheap.  I spent £50 on paint rather than £200+ on posting it to a sprayer and having it done really well.  The money all went on hardware and pickups instead.   I had to accept I did not have the budget for that  so the finish I would be able to achieve would not be as high quality as a pro-spray job. 

You either have to decide what quality you want, or what quality you can afford that you will happily live with after - I thought that what this thread was about?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom