Nice neck break...

What's Hot
Acquired a Yamaha FX370C BL for the princely sum of £2.50 today...

It's in great condition - pickguard still has the plastic on, etc...the only issue is that the headstock looks like this:

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I'd love to know where you shop :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChap said:
    I'd love to know where you shop :)

Lol! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• It's just a crack in the paint, no structural damage......

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Ouch. That looks like it's been almost 'guillotined' to get such a short break across the grain like that.

Nasty, but probably repairable - although you'll definitely need to splint it. If not, scarf on a new headstock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I bet you could epoxy that back on OK. It might look too pretty but you can't have everything :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Well...I usually leave the wooden bits of luthiery to my local, errr...luthier, but as this was near enough free, I may have a bash myself...

• nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I've gigged worse :D 

In all seriousness, that should be a relatively easy fix for an accomplished luthier.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    edited February 2016
    I would be looking at scarfing a new headstock on that.... But that option is still there if you try a simpler fix first. I don't think any glue alone will be enough though
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2478
    Ex Pete Townshend?
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3668
    Headless project?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4265
    Nice clean break there, that will glue up nicely with decent clamping
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    sweepy said:
    I think so - although there is a little bit of crushing near the front face which might need carefully removing for it to fit tightly - but I'm certain it will still need splinting afterwards. The break is too short and across the grain for glue alone to hold it against the string tension.

I would try that first, and if it fails then scarf on a new head.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    Bit of titebond, will be right as rain that! :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    ICBM;970972" said:
    sweepy said:

I think so - although there is a little bit of crushing near the front face which might need carefully removing for it to fit tightly - but I'm certain it will still need splinting afterwards. The break is too short and across the grain for glue alone to hold it against the string tension.

I would try that first, and if it fails then scarf on a new head.
    What he said. glue alone works great when you have a long break.

This is almost as short a break as you can have, and there isn't a glue that exists which is suitable for sticking end grain to end grain. It will hold in place, but it wont have any strength along its length... And that is pretty important on a headstock.