Cirrus , timmysoft , and any other stiletto users , any setup tips ?

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited April 2017 in Amps
spent a bit of time with the stiletto today , and it's a versatile amp !

im trying to find the best way to get a rythmn and lead sound .

i was using the blue channel on crunch for rythmn  , and the red channel set the same for lead , with a little more gain and treble .

worked great  at practice .

ive spent some time with it today , and these are my observations -

100 watt isn't quieter than 50 , 100 has more punch , 50 is warmer . I like 100 for rythmn .

The blue channel and the red channel set the same don't sound the same. The red channel is a little louder and more aggressive , the blue is a little more " vintage " sounding . Kinda like jmp vs jcm800.

Now I'm wondering if the 2 channel approach is best or if I should be using the solo boost function .

i wondered how other people used theirs .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited April 2017
    Ha, how about that. You posted this the minute I visited the site for the first time since my morning poo.

Well, I don't know exactly how much difference there is between your head and my ace combo, so take it with a pinch of salt...

So I'm pretty solidly in the clean/dirty 2-channel camp - fat clean and "tite" gain. The clean channel takes pedals nicely, I've got an SD-1 and Rat I use with it (also use the SD-1 with the 2nd channel).

Then master volume is at;

Which, to be fair, is pretty loud. Hence the hotplate, which is just turned down one click to -4dB. And I do use the solo boost as and when I want to be too loud.  =)

The FX loop volume knob on the back is at 12:00

And yes, I noticed that too about the two channels sounding different - the two crunch modes on the two channels don't sound the same when the controls are set the same.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962

I use the Fat Clean, Its set to point where it'll just clip if i dig in hard, not really a crunch tone, just a more interesting clean i'd say. I run this in the diode mode so it has a slightly harder edge to it. I tend to keep the channel volumes below the half way point as i find the amp gets a bit spiky and unruly if you push them much higher.

My drive tone is the Tite Gain, with the gain pushed up to half way. I usually run this in the tube mode just so it adds a bit of that signature Mesa "gush". 

I play a PRS with 245 Humbuckers, in drop C (sometimes drop A) so i need to run the treble a bit higher than most would.

I'd personally say, use the on board boost function, its excellent. If i set up both channels exactly the same in the crunch mode, the drive channel is a little gainier but not by much, you can dial them in so they're pretty much identical.

The Stiletto really is a very incredible amp, there aren't many tones it can't do and it does everything so bloody well. All the modes and features are very usable, its super simple to set up, it records amazingly well and excels at band work too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Thanks guys . I must say I thought it was going to be a hard amp to dial in , but it's not at all, it's one of those "everything sounds great 1/2 up" type of amps .

so what's the trick with the boost function ? I'm a bit unsure of how the master / fx loop volume / boost / output controls fit together .