Nickel cover for Seymour Duncan Trembucker

What's Hot
skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
Does anyone know of a good aftermarket Trembucker nickel cover? I found these at Axesrus but think that the trembucker spacing is wider than 52mm. Can anyone confirm a non SD nickel cover fitting a Trembucker? The official SD one go for around £25 with postage so I am a bit loathe to part with the extra cash... #tight
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3169
    tFB Trader
    Can you not just get a ruler and measure the pole pieces on your pickup?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    RiftAmps said:
    Can you not just get a ruler and measure the pole pieces on your pickup?
    I don't have a sub millimeter ruler...apparently sd trembuckers are something like 52.4mm
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22928

According to the SD website the Trembucker spacing is 2.070", which is just under 52.6mm.

I think their spacing is a fraction wider than anyone else's.  Also the bobbins themselves are longer, although presumably not so long that they don't fit under a standard width metal cover.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So what is 0.6mm spread between 6 pole pieces? I would need a tolerance of0.12mm each. Hmmmm....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22928
    skinfreak said:
    So what is 0.6mm spread between 6 pole pieces? I would need a tolerance of0.12mm each. Hmmmm....
    It's not much, but enough to look weird, I suspect.  I'd lay off the (insert vice of choice) for a week and pay the extra for the proper SD cover.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited April 2017
    I'm assuming this is being done for aesthetic reasons but if you already like the sound of the guitar a nickel cover will change it ever so slightly.

So my vote is save the £25 altogether! 
    I'm assuming this is being done for aesthetic reasons but if you already like the sound of the guitar a nickel cover will change it ever so slightly.

So my vote is save the £25 altogether! 
    And how, pray tell, is THAT supposed to help my aesthetic needs? There's vanity to consider here...
    Philly_Q said:
    skinfreak said:
    It's not much, but enough to look weird, I suspect.  I'd lay off the (insert vice of choice) for a week and pay the extra for the proper SD cover.
    I already know this. I only come on forums like this to stop me making silly decisions. I do curse SD pickups though. Why would they be deliberately awkward. It's not like they are in this to make money?
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3169
    tFB Trader
    Just measured Mrs Rift's trembucker, I don't think the AXESRUS cover will fit. Sorry.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

RiftAmps said:
    Just measured Mrs Rift's trembucker, I don't think the AXESRUS cover will fit. Sorry.

Thanks for checking. I'm going to devise a plan b and sell the Custom. £25 on top of a pickup that I can get off ebay for £45 anyway, covered or not doesn't make sense. Instead I am going off the reservation with a 500t and a Jazz neck. It might sound bonkers but I can give it a whirl. Plus I can add the raw nickel covers to both and hopefully not change the tone too much.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I should have one in stock (somewhere).

Tenner posted if so.

Tenner posted if so.
    Sorry, Duncan Trembucker cover?
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    skinfreak said:

Tenner posted if so.
    Sorry, Duncan Trembucker cover?
    No, sorry, The SD trembuckers are odd. You need Duncan covers, the pole spacing is irrelevant. I haven't got any of those.

• StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    I have a brand new SD Trembucker Nickel cover removed from a pickup before installation, it still has plastic on the face.
    1 = Trembucker Nickel Cover off a JB
    1= SH off an Alnico Pro 2 Neck
    I have a brand new SD Trembucker Nickel cover removed from a pickup before installation, it still has plastic on the face.
    Hi there - thanks but I have a plan B and I think I may sell the Trembucker. Out of interest, removing the Trembucker cover - was the pickup potted in the cover or was fairly loose?
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    skinfreak said:
    Hi there - thanks but I have a plan B and I think I may sell the Trembucker. Out of interest, removing the Trembucker cover - was the pickup potted in the cover or was fairly loose?
    Hi, It was potted in the cover and also with no tape around the windings. It needed to re-potted and then taped.