Switching pedal for Boss RC-3 Looper

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4982
I understand that the Boss FS-5U [€29 + p&p from Thomann] can be used to control the Bos RC-3 Looper.  There are cheaper switches available from Thomann.  Is there anything 'special' about the FS-5U or would any switch work with the Looper?  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I had an RC3 a while back and I'm sorry I can't remember the exact requirement but I remember that the RC3 does need a specific type of foot switching. I'm sure it required unlatched but I'm not positive. There was a good YouTube video a few years back that explained it. Sorry I can't help more
    How very rock and roll
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited April 2017
    As far as I'm aware, the Boss FS-5U is just a single unlatched footswitch. I'm not sure if it's press-to-make (ie. normally open) or press-to-break (normally closed) or switchable between the two. The usual way is with a basic press-to-make which you can easily diy with some basic soldering skills or find something cheaper than the Boss.

You can find out by putting a normal guitar lead into the socket and then shorting (eg with a screwdriver or bit of wire) between the tip and sleeve of the exposed jack plug. If it functions correctly when you short the two connections, it's press-to-make.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I use a momentary,  "normally closed"  switch with my RC3. Wee Lush and Bright Onion both do them. It's the same as a tap tempo switch. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    As far as I'm aware, the Boss FS-5U is just a single unlatched footswitch. I'm not sure if it's press-to-make (ie. normally open) or press-to-break (normally closed) or switchable between the two. The usual way is with a basic press-to-make which you can easily diy with some basic soldering skills or find something cheaper than the Boss.

You can find out by putting a normal guitar lead into the socket and then shorting (eg with a screwdriver or bit of wire) between the tip and sleeve of the exposed jack plug. If it functions correctly when you short the two connections, it's press-to-make.

Very good idea @steamabacus, Wisdom awarded.  I will do that and look for a suitable switch in Maplins.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited April 2017
    You need a latching switch for on/off control rather than a non-latching 'momentary' switch.  These are what I used when I had a Boss GT3 and RC3 - 'Bespeco' VM22 latching, which look and work exactly the same as the Boss version, and even slot together the same way (you really need two for the RC3) - £5.99 each from DV247:

http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/bespeco-vm22-on-off-switch--215583

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)