Boss SD 1

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
Is this Boss version of a tube screamer?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Yes, more or less - it's not quite the same, but close. It seems to have been Boss's answer to Ibanez copying the OD-1 circuit but removing the asymmetric clipping (which Boss had patented) and adding a tone control, making the TS-808. Boss then did their own version *with* the asymmetric clipping and the tone control.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    hmm and is the waza version worth it or does the standard one do just fine?

I'm in the midst of replacing my 3pdt pedals with either soft switch or boss pedals...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I haven't tried the Waza. It's a *lot* of money for an SD-1... although still fair compared to a TS-808 reissue! (Which is stupidly overpriced.)

It has apparently had the one flaw of the SD-1 fixed - the bleed-through of dirt into the bypass signal. Whether that (and the extra mode) justifies tripling the price, I'm not sure...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited April 2017
    The Waza has more low end, which may or may not be preferable depending on usage. The original is my favourite boost pedal but be aware you may need to run a buffered pedal before it to stop bleed through on bypass. I didn't know about this for years but that's because I was using a buffered pedal in front at all times.
    thanks @guitarfishbay - not an issue for me then as I use a TU3 first up.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Cheaper to buy a standard SD1 and have it modded than to buy the stupidly exorbitant Waza.
    Sassafras said:
    Cheaper to buy a standard SD1 and have it modded than to buy the stupidly exorbitant Waza.
    Yes, although not if you have an issue with the bypass bleed - that's not easy to fix, although it would be for Boss. It would need a slight redesign of the PCB and one extra switching transistor.

Running it after another buffered pedal does stop it, but that doesn't help if you want to run it first in line or with only true-bypass pedals before it.

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Bleed through ruins an otherwise excellent sounding OD. I prefer it to the TS9, but the bleed through on bypass is unmanageable. I would personally look out for a s/d Waza
    If the bleed is stopped by a buffer in front them I'm good with a tu3 right?

How does a buffer stop it out of interest? 
    Yes.

It's because the output impedance of the buffer before it is low enough to suppress the very faint (but annoyingly audible!) amount of bleed, which otherwise leaks in because the input buffer of the SD-1 is high impedance.

The actual cause of the bleed is the 'half' switching which leaves the pedal circuit amplifying the signal even when the pedal is off, feeding back into the input buffer via the power supply. All other (apart from the OD-1 I think) Boss pedals turn off the input to the effect circuit as well, so they don't do it.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    ICBM said:
    Yes.

It's because the output impedance of the buffer before it is low enough to suppress the very faint (but annoyingly audible!) amount of bleed, which otherwise leaks in because the input buffer of the SD-1 is high impedance.

The actual cause of the bleed is the 'half' switching which leaves the pedal circuit amplifying the signal even when the pedal is off, feeding back into the input buffer via the power supply. All other (apart from the OD-1 I think) Boss pedals turn off the input to the effect circuit as well, so they don't do it.
    Does this work with a TS circuit too??
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    so, how long has this pedal been out..... You'd think boss would fix something like this. It's definitely where they fall down.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    so, how long has this pedal been out..... You'd think boss would fix something like this. It's definitely where they fall down.
    since the late 70's I think???

Ive had both ghecstandard and the Waza, loved them both, I did use the custom setting on the Waza, but honestly for the £70?? Extra quid, I'd just go standard. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    ICBM said:

Yes, although they don't seem to be as prone to the bleed despite using the same basic switching arrangement.

Since 1981. Yes, you really would think they would fix it - although they haven't fixed the equally notorious noise problem of the GE-7 either, and that's not fixed by running it with other Boss pedals either.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:

Yes, although they don't seem to be as prone to the bleed despite using the same basic switching arrangement.

Since 1981. Yes, you really would think they would fix it - although they haven't fixed the equally notorious noise problem of the GE-7 either, and that's not fixed by running it with other Boss pedals either.

Have there been different incarnations of the GE7? Because mine is only slightly noisy when you max the level control. There's no sticker on the baseplate so I've got no way of knowing where it was made and I'm fairly sure it's not been modified.
    Sassafras said:

Have there been different incarnations of the GE7? Because mine is only slightly noisy when you max the level control. There's no sticker on the baseplate so I've got no way of knowing where it was made and I'm fairly sure it's not been modified.
    They hiss when you move any of the frequency sliders away from zero, in either direction - but some are worse than others. The one I've got currently wasn't very noisy either, but it was still improved by changing the chips.

Well it turned up today :)

Gotta say Boss stuff always looks so nice when it arrives. The black boxes they have these days are smart and the pedals just look professional and reassuringly rugged.

As for the sound... it's perhaps a little aggressive, But maybe that because it's at very low volume right now. Will be trying it into my pleximan at next rehearsal. If successful, step 1 in the reduce the value of my board effort.
  • It is more aggressive than a TS9, it's got a harder/tighter tonality to it plus it's a little bit brighter at the same tone settings IIRC.

That's why I prefer it, to me it cuts better when you're adding it to boost an amp in a band context.

If you're using a single coil guitar into a Fender clean then the TS can be a better choice for some people, but I love the crunch from using an SD1 into an already driving amp. It's one of those things that just works in context IME
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Get the Waza version, it is definitely worth it.
    timmysoft said:
    Get the Waza version, it is definitely worth it.
    I paid 15 pounds for my SD1... :) the waza would have to be a whole lot of good

I can't wait to try it in in the band - I think it's a 1 trick pony, but the trick could be a good one. I use p90's which are that bit darker, so I have high hopes that an aggressive OD into my plexi will be a sound to behold. My Jrad GT is a bit too smooth.