MP3 failings

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
MP3 is fine for portable music listened to through in ear buds. Perfectly fine. But play a YouTube or similar video through even a middling hi-fi and it sounds poor. No problems with instruction videos such as guitar or bass 'how to play' types. I played a Dale Watson YouTube video last evening. The bass is a very important element in that music but it was practically inaudible. Seems on an instruction video, the frequency range is narrow which compresses well. But on a band, the frequency range is much wider so a lot of needed information ends up on the virtual cutting floor. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited April 2017
    Happily I don't have time to sit and listen to music - all done on the move or through headphones at work. I don't even own a hifi anymore. the only time I'm not listening on the move is when I'm at a gig. Listening to the real thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    I had a flac player for xmas- it's very noticable how much more clear punch is in that format.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Youtube audio has been notoriously low-quality in the past, see here: https://www.h3xed.com/web-and-internet/youtube-audio-quality-bitrate-240p-360p-480p-720p-1080p

They're getting better, but it's still relatively poor.

R.
    Oh, and it's mostly AAC these days.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited April 2017
    It depends on the quality.  At HD quality YouTube is equivalent to 192kb/s IIRC, which isn't amazing if you're comparing it to .wavs from a CD but it's fine for how most people use YouTube.  People spent a decade listening at 128kb/s back when iPods were only a few GB.  I think a lot of people are quite used to mp3 these days.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    I don't really understand the extreme opinions that you often read about how mp3 is "unlistenable" - even at lower bit rates, let alone high ones. Yes, I can hear the difference - but I'm entirely happy with 128kbps for most daytime purposes. Firstly it's the only way I can get 35,000+ songs onto an iPod, and secondly it's still significantly better quality than the AM radios and portable cassette players I grew up with. It may not be as good as FM radio but I tend to only listen to that in the car, where the rest of the sound system and the ambient noise make it irrelevant, as it does when I'm listening in my workshop or at the shop, where it's being played back through something quite lo-fi anyway.

The bottom line is that if I can hear the music, the sound quality is secondary  - I'm meant to be concentrating on working or driving usually :). That's not necessarily true if I'm sitting down in the evening to listen to an album properly, but that's what I have CDs for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    ICBM said:
    I don't really understand the extreme opinions that you often read about how mp3 is "unlistenable" - even at lower bit rates, let alone high ones. Yes, I can hear the difference - but I'm entirely happy with 128kbps for most daytime purposes. Firstly it's the only way I can get 35,000+ songs onto an iPod, and secondly it's still significantly better quality than the AM radios and portable cassette players I grew up with. It may not be as good as FM radio but I tend to only listen to that in the car, where the rest of the sound system and the ambient noise make it irrelevant, as it does when I'm listening in my workshop or at the shop, where it's being played back through something quite lo-fi anyway.

The bottom line is that if I can hear the music, the sound quality is secondary  - I'm meant to be concentrating on working or driving usually :). That's not necessarily true if I'm sitting down in the evening to listen to an album properly, but that's what I have CDs for.
    Couldn't have said it better. I have some decade-old-and-then-some 128k mp3s which are a bit pokey sounding but anything above 192 is fine unless you're an audiophile, at which point you're listening to the equipment and the recording and not the music, and I'm out.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28173
    I find 128kbps tends to have very "splashy" cymbals. 160 and above gets past that.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    stickyfiddle said:

I have some decade-old-and-then-some 128k mp3s which are a bit pokey sounding
    That's true - although the algorithms have improved a lot now. If I hear old ones that are a bit ropey I try to re-rip them from the CD when I can get around to it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I find that the more "natural" the recording, the better quality required to reproduce it. Lossy compression screws up phase relationships, esp. at high frequencies.

R.
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    ICBM said:
    I agree up to a point. I find when I go away on holiday, I'll listen through my phone or at best a portable dock at low res. When I get back home, I immediately need a fix of good music on a good system. Basically, there is only so long I can stand listening to low res music on a crappy dock!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    This takes me back!

I remember twenty-odd years ago listening to my audiophile mates slagging off CDs coz they don't sound as good as vinyl, and spending thousands of pounds on turntables and speakers. 'Plus ca change...' I suppose.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    A statement like "mp3 sounds bad" is meaningless. 

Most of the time when people think an mp3 sounds bad is because it's been ripped badly or it's gone through multiple generations of compression, or some other processing has been applied.

128k sounds a bit ropey, but once you get to 256 or 320 practically no one can hear the difference in a blind test.

Also you don't need to use mp3 these days. AAC or Vorbis is a much better choice.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5143
    ICBM said:

Exactly. Most of the time when I listen to music I'm at work using the player on my phone with one earbud half out so that if someone tries to talk to me they don't have to yell or come and tap me on the shoulder and scare the crap out of me. It's not exactly lab test conditions for listening to music, so I don't worry too much about sound quality (unless it's really shit).

At home on a halfway decent system it's CDs, vinyl or .FLAC. 

MP3 will go away eventually as storage gets cheaper and it becomes possible to carry large quantities of lossless files on a portable device. 128GB MicroSD cards will carry a decent number of albums in FLAC, and are already reasonably affordable (£40 or thereabouts from Amazon) and I doubt it'll be too long before you're paying much less than the current £200+ for 256GB and 512GB cards.

That's if you want to carry the files with you. With enough data on my mobile plan and the right app, I could stream FLAC files from my NAS at home to my phone at work. MP3 is practically obsolete already. Save your old iPod and wait the MP3 retro fad in 2035.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900

Blaming mp3 technology for crap sounding youtube videos is like blaming studio compressors for the loudness wars.

The technology is great, the problem is that sometimes it is misused or misunderstood. People say "mp3s sound crap" when what they actually mean is "low bitrate mp3s sound crap". Even then, the problem is overstated a lot---128kbps isn't all that great but its hardly unlistenable and, as already pointed out, its probably way better than the old AM/FM radio technology that weirdly enough all these audiophiles don't seem to have a problem with.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    The bass on the link I mentioned is simply not there. It was when the recording was made. This is not a sound quality 'rubbish MP3' comment. Rather I would like to hear what looks like an interesting bass line.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Got a link to the video? On what were you listening to it?
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    edited April 2017
    I'm surprised that people able to detect the most minute differences in overdrive mud hump frequency response can't hear the difference between 320 and 128kbps MP3s. astonished 

then again, my studio monitors were twice as expensive as my car lol

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SCM50?
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    SCM50?
    Yep :)