Replacing a Gibson 498T magnet - Alnico 8 vs Unorientated A5?

What's Hot
Hello people. Seeing @Rox ;miss-sold me a Gibson 500T (drat and double drat! ;-) ) I am seeing this as a blessing in disguise and looking to mod the pickup. I have read on the web that either an Alnico 8 or an unorientated Alnico 5 will go well. I am fitting this to a PRS Tremonti SE and then adding an raw nickel cover to it. 

Anyone modded a Gibson T pickup with either of those magnets?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited April 2017
    Ah c'mon I was only 2 out...

Who knew a 498 measured the same as a 500?  Not me, obvs... :( 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    I have a modded 500T, but didn't do it myself.  I have done magnet swaps on other humbuckers though.   
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    WezV said:
    I have a modded 500T, but didn't do it myself.  I have done magnet swaps on other humbuckers though.   
    What is it modded with?
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Test the pickup and decide how you want to change it before taking someone's word for what works. Plenty of resources comparing how different magnets affect a wind.

For what it's worth I detest Seymour Duncan JBs despite them being so popular - I'd swap them to a ceramic magnet in a heart beat (and I have done to a much preferable result). Many, many people would disagree with that.

That's more or less the process that I follow as I design pickups.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    Alegree said:
    Test the pickup and decide how you want to change it before taking someone's word for what works. Plenty of resources comparing how different magnets affect a wind.
    I intend to. Just gathering info here. The literature seems to point to the A8 but I might buy one of each to experiment! How are your stocks ;-)
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    skinfreak said:
    Alegree said:
    I intend to. Just gathering info here. The literature seems to point to the A8 but I might buy one of each to experiment! How are your stocks ;-)
    Alnico 8 currently out of stock (both standard and roughcast). expecting it to come in in a few more days.

Personally I find alnico 8 to be like a hotrodded alnico 2, which makes it very hard to work with. It's got piles of output, but EQed to suit low output in my opinion with it's soft treble and overbearing mids. I think it's best home is in a hot PAF - like a EVH '78 or Slash style wind. But that's speculation - I haven't actually tried it to a huge amount of length yet.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    Alegree said:
    skinfreak said:
    Alegree said:
    Alnico 8 currently out of stock (both standard and roughcast). expecting it to come in in a few more days.

Personally I find alnico 8 to be like a hotrodded alnico 2, which makes it very hard to work with. It's got piles of output, but EQed to suit low output in my opinion with it's soft treble and overbearing mids. I think it's best home is in a hot PAF - like a EVH '78 or Slash style wind. But that's speculation - I haven't actually tried it to a huge amount of length yet.
    Well I am going to try it. Got a couple of magnets no the way and we shall see. I need to research how the 498T is wound but thinking of just fitting it and recording samples with different magnets swapped in and out. 
    Righty ho. I have an Alnico 2, UnOrientated Alnico 5 and an Alnico 8. I was planning on hooking my Blackstar HT-1R up to my PC and just recording some samples and putting them on soundcloud. I am by no means a good guitarist so tips on how to best demonstrate the difference in tones is welcomed out side of 1. Play it clean and 2. Play it dirty.