Silica Gel desiccant sachet in cases

What's Hot
KoaKoa Frets: 120
What are the pros and cons of leaving these in guitar cases? I seem to remember being told to remove them from a new case.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Aren't they there to absorb any condensation that occurs during shipping (from China, presumably, in shipping containers)?
    They probably don't really do anything at all during normal use, opening and closing the case, regularly, guitar coming out, and going back in, less drastic temperature/humidity changes.. I'd probably just bin them, anyway, or collect them in a drawer - you never know, they might come in handy someday.. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
    edited April 2017
    I keep them in because a) my house is generally quite humid (read: damp) and b) I reckon the fluffy lining in most cases can hold a lot of moisture.

But the most important thing to remember about silica gel sachets is DO NOT EAT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    ^^ Not sure there's any point in keeping them in a drawer, you'll just end up with a very dry drawer...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Get rid of them.  If anything the problem in centrally heated house is likely to be too little humidity.  People with high end acoustic sometimes keep humidifiers in the case.  I don't think that's necessary in the UK unless you live in Scotland and have your heating up really high, but you definitely shouldn't need to dry out your cases.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I can't imagine these have a very long shelf life? You sometimes see them in things that are 10 years old, like wardrobes etc, they can't be doing anything at that point can they?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I never understood why they left those nice little snacks in all kinds of cases?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
    Jack_ said:
    I can't imagine these have a very long shelf life? You sometimes see them in things that are 10 years old, like wardrobes etc, they can't be doing anything at that point can they?
    Gentle heat will drive off the adsorbed water. Half an hour on a very low oven, or a couple of hours in a radiator will refresh them.

BTW, my hygrometer is reading 47% at the moment but it hasn't rained for a week and it's been quite sunny. Most of the year it's closer to 60%.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Toxic for pets, I'd bin it if you have one.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    If you leave them long enough they turn into big spiders

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    bit harsh on the pet 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    Get rid of them.  If anything the problem in centrally heated house is likely to be too little humidity.  People with high end acoustic sometimes keep humidifiers in the case.  I don't think that's necessary in the UK unless you live in Scotland and have your heating up really high, but you definitely shouldn't need to dry out your cases.
    Gibson supplied a humidifier in the case when I bought my j45 around 12 years ago. I live in Manchester by the way. Not know for it's lack of moisture. 
    bit harsh on the pet 
    Hahahaha, I was gonna say it's a bit unfair assuming he might not have a bin, but that's much better :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Which bin?
    The recycle bin or the household waste one?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Sassafras said:
    Which bin?
    The recycle bin or the household waste one?
    Do you want your recycling or your household waste bone dry?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Can pets be classed as household waste? 
    ^ I'm not sure but our neighbour's cat seems to class our garden as a toilet, so I wonder if it evens out?
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    I keep them in because a) my house is generally quite humid (read: damp) and b) I reckon the fluffy lining in most cases can hold a lot of moisture.

But the most important thing to remember about silica gel sachets is DO NOT EAT.
    If it's the same stuff they put in packets of beef jerky then I did eat some once, thought it was some spicy peppery additive!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I remember going to buy a pair of new binoculars with some schoomates and on the bus home wondering what the silca gel sachet was for and one kid piped up they were for cleaning the lenses.....!!! .......

NO - of course I didn't fall for it!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dont throw them in the ocean, along with sponges this accounts for ocean levels falling 20 inches a year