Question..... Les Paul 25/50

What's Hot
1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
I have a '78 Tobacco Burst 25/50 Les Paul that never gets played, to be honest it's a bit heavy for me these days and I'm also suffering from arthritis in the fingers which means gig-length guitar playing is too long for me.
Anyway...I'm considering putting it up for sale but I'm not sure whether its a good time to sell at the moment...would I be better just leaving it where it is on the hanger ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Beautiful guitars - pretty much a Grail guitar for me. Looking briefly on Reverb they seem to be around the £4k mark but they aren't in the UK. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Whenever you sell it will be the wrong time… that's how it goes :). That said, most of the vintage guitars I've owned and sold at what turned out to be the wrong time wouldn't actually be *that* much more valuable now in real terms if I'd kept them.

It's also possibly helpful that Gibson have drastically raised their prices on their top-end models, and that's just starting to work through into the second hand market. Obviously it's not an exact equivalent, but a new Historic LP Custom is now over £6K.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Kalamazoo production run totaled 1,106 guitars in 1978 and 2,305 in 1979 (a total of 3,411).

Mixed bag I suppose as whilst you don't see that many for sale today, 3411 is quite a sizeable run for a limited edition - The weight might go against you and to a degree a 70's period and I feel the more you ask over 3K the harder it will be to sell - Condition, originality, fret wear etc will come into play regarding a potential asking price

Is there a perfect time to sell a guitar ? - if you were born in 1978 then next year you are 40, so some might already be looking and thinking along those lines - Yet in another 5-10 years time it might have risen a touch more in value - History shows us that prices have gradually risen in this market, but is there a ceiling ?

I feel that if you need to approach 3-4K for an asking price then you'll have to be patient and approach sites like FB and Reverb for a potential sale
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    My mate Chris has one of those! Always admired it!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Is there a perfect time to sell a guitar ? - if you were born in 1978 then next year you are 40, so some might already be looking and thinking along those lines - Yet in another 5-10 years time it might have risen a touch more in value - History shows us that prices have gradually risen in this market, but is there a ceiling ?

In 5 - 10 years time there will probably be another 20,000 CS reissues out there, and possibly some baby boomers' assets (like old guitars) being cashed in by them or their kids.  I'm not sure that prices will continue to rise like they have been.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

In 5 - 10 years time there will probably be another 20,000 CS reissues out there, and possibly some baby boomers' assets (like old guitars) being cashed in by them or their kids.  I'm not sure that prices will continue to rise like they have been.
    I've thought this for many years and still question it and get proven wrong

Yes another bunch of new quilty guitars made this week alone - with no obsolesce and with so many in home based collections they  are still in fine condition 10/20 years later - Might get harder to read the market
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Bit off topic but i have a cousin who was given one of these as thanks for some building work that the person was pleased with ( as well as his wages! ) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    The big question is, does any owner of a 25/50 have the companion belt buckle?
    I asked my mate, when these came up once before. Never even heard about the belt buckle. Wasn't there a release with the buckle, and a release without, though? It might be rubbish, but I think I read it somewhere. Or maybe one of the guys in the shop, had it away....?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

tFB Trader
    I believe that buyers had to apply to Gibson fit the buckle as it didn't come in the case. I've never seen a 25/50 with its buckle.
    I believe that buyers had to apply to Gibson fit the buckle as it didn't come in the case. I've never seen a 25/50 with its buckle.
    Ah, right.. cheers!

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    I've got a Terry Morgan belt buckle, if that's of any use?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I've got a Terry Morgan belt buckle, if that's of any use?
    Behave! :) 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    What is it with this 'Terry Morgan' bs - what does it mean?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I think he's highly regarded as making top quality 'copy' (though some may regard the word fake as more appropriate) Les Pauls. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I prefer "homage" ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Like a Stars In Their Eyes version of a Les Paul?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    More like the tribute bands that play live better than the originals ever did.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgieGadgie Frets: 96
    More like the tribute bands that play live better than the originals ever did.

I've noticed that as well
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Voxman said:
    I think he's highly regarded as making top quality 'copy' (though some may regard the word fake as more appropriate) Les Pauls. 
    Don`t start that off again.......lol.