What amp?

What's Hot
mprcompmprcomp Frets: 1
So I have a Chapman Cap 10 America and generally impressed with it.

So options are second hand Marshall 205C about 760 I think.
A b stock Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40W 599
A Peavey 50W Valveking Combo 399

See not knowledge able enough to make the choice yet. I want to be able to play some Floyd, Zepplin, Weezer, Foo Fighters so rock basically but still have option for some clean which Floyd normally are plus a peddle on top.

Thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I played through a Blackstar Artist the other week, think it was the 30w but they do a 15w version too. I thought it was pretty good for blues, rock etc Theyre around your budget too.
  • mprcompmprcomp Frets: 1
    Thanks Chris. Will take a look.

• Of the two above, the Fender. It had a decent overdrive and a good clean, whereas the Valveking lacks clarity.

Alternatives - have a look at the Peavey Classic 15 or 30, and the Peavey Delta Blues (Biffy Clyro use one).  The Tweed Deluxe from Fender is worth a look too.

Then there's always Vox.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The Marshall is the best deal of those, although not a great bargain. For the sounds you want, it will cover more of them. It does have a pretty decent clean sound for a Marshall too.

The Fender is a good amp, although you can easily get them second hand for a fair bit less, and it won't cover most of those sounds without pedals - although it does take them well.

It disappoints me to say this since I'm normally quite a fan of the brand, but the Peavey is a very average amp with no real character, and although it will cover the range of sounds you want it really just doesn't sound very good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yeah I like the marshall when played it. Keep wondering is the Chapman Cap 10 the right choice or should I get a second hand mexican then can buy marshall?

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    On spec I'd say the Cap10 is a better guitar than a Mex Strat. 

So down grading your guitar will will not help your tone journey imho. 

What about a Katana 100?

They really do sound great and personally I'd take one over any of the amps you mentioned. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited April 2017

A 205c for £760?? That's expensive for a used amp....I just sold a 210C for £450 and it took 8 weeks to sell!! What I will say about the JVM 2 channel is the reason I sold it is because the (dirty channel 2) is a very modern high gain dirt - basically channel 4's OD 2 on the JVM410, personally it was too metal for my tastes. The red and orange modes on the clean channel 1 were nice but even red was just a bit lacking in gain to be my lead sound...where green on the 2nd channel was just too modern no matter how I dialled it in. So I sold it and kept my DSL50...much better for classic - hard rock IMO. If you want a JVM get a used 410c or head and a 2x12 cab....miles betterer. And you can get the combo or head for way less than the £760 you just listed for the 205c.

Fender = great but most prefer pedals for dirt with those.

Peavey - nah don't bother just get a used 5150mk 2 or a 6505.....or if your volume requirements aren't huge the Classic 30 or 50 if you like bigger.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962

What about a Katana 100?

They really do sound great and personally I'd take one over any of the amps you mentioned. 

I wouldn't say on feel that the mex is a downgrade, every Mexican strat I've owned or played has been a hell of a lot better than any chapman guitar I've played. 

edited April 2017
    The Katana sounds decent on reviews. Would probably like the 2 by 12 so it's 399 unless buy a cab then head. So can have different sounds?

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I agree with the comments from @ICBM. The only points I would add are: - I would suggest you check whether you will get sufficient clean tone at the volume level you need from the Marshall. - My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is great for clean tones, has a good reverb, and good headroom. I use an overdrive pedal through the clean channel as I couldn't get a sound from the drive channel that I was happy with. I bought mine secondhand. - I'd also suggest checking a Blackstar Series One if you can find a secondhand one within your budget.
  • SteveCWSSteveCWS Frets: 0
    I recently got a blackstar HT 1w and am hugely impressed with it. Obviously not particularly loud but I'd definitely check out some of their other amps. 
    I have a Mustang 3 100W solid state now so I like the Boss Katana but not really worth me swapping what I have now.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    mprcomp said:
    I have a Mustang 3 100W solid state now so I like the Boss Katana but not really worth me swapping what I have now.
    Why not - because it's not valve?

The time has now come to forget that, I think. Just judge it on whether it sounds good, has the features you need and is loud enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Jet City Custom 22?
    <space for hire>
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Egnator tweaker?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754

What about a Katana 100?

Dammit I was hoping to get the "mention Boss Katana" trophy for this thread! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Tweaker is a possible but don't see many second hand to get it cheaper @ICBM no nothing to do with it being solid state. Just that I have a solid state amp that is similar and when listened to them side by side not sure that much better than Mustang 3. 

Just seen some videos of Blackstar S1 45 which looks great but wondering if can find it cheap enough. Again a company has a B stock at 899 but a lot of money. 

I would ideally like something that is 2 by 12 and the Katana is 400 quid again so is it worth 400 pounds when already have a 1 by 12 100W modelling amp already? 
  • Would you consider an amp head rather than a combo? I have a Fender Machete 50W head for sale that might do the trick.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    What about a Mesa Boogie Express? Comes in 25w or 50w versions, theres a 2x12 version too. Usually a few around at about £600ish.
    Or a Rectoverb combo?  That will nail the Foo Fighters stuff and they have a decent clean tone too. Buy at the right price and you won't lose anything if you decide to move it on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom