Things that are guaranteed to put you off an eBay listing

What's Hot

Comments

• BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    Lodes off spellin mistacks
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5058
    robgilmo said:

Then there is ''worked last time I used it before I put it in the loft 3 years ago'' , well just fecking plug it in then and see if it still works? Oh, let me guess, you already did, and it didn't. 
    Very much this. Every pedal I've bought with a similar description didn't work.
    You mean you've bought pedals on that basis more than once...?!   :o
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    The deal killer for me is if @HarrySeven has linked it on here.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Gassage said:
    The deal killer for me is if @HarrySeven has linked it on here.

Well...a link from me is indeed The Gold Seal of Shiteness. Have a Wisdom, Mr. Gassage. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    robgilmo said:

Then there is ''worked last time I used it before I put it in the loft 3 years ago'' , well just fecking plug it in then and see if it still works? Oh, let me guess, you already did, and it didn't. 
    Very much this. Every pedal I've bought with a similar description didn't work.
    You mean you've bought pedals on that basis more than once...?!   :o
    I have, expecting that they won't work, and fixed them.
     I've also bought plenty where it said that the pedals were tested only to find, upon discovering that the pedal didn't work, to be told "it worked the last time I used it in 1986 and just assumed it was still ok".
     So, not tested then.
     It takes five minutes, ffs.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    Adverts that tell you the girls name that they call the guitar. FFS, I don't want to you that you call you guitar Sandra. Makes my skin crawl. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    edited April 2017
    What a miserable bunch of wankers you lot are today!

A point for @Voxman - it may be that eBay insist on you offering Paypal (which may or may not be a bit naughty depending on how you view such monopolies things) but to insist on cash, when something is for collection only is COMMON SENSE. And if someone doesn't want to pay as such, then go buy from someone else.

The only things that "puts me off" an advert are:

1) price too high
    2) obviously dodgy/hooky/fake
    3) dodgy feedback

Oh and I'm not mad keen on those adverts where they photograph the guitar with a semi-naked girl draped around it... it just smacks of exploitation and a little bit creepy. I mean, did they pay the 'model'? Is the model their wife, daughter or employee? Its just a bit... odd.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12930

Most of my pets hates have been covered but one that annoys me is one where the seller has a list of "TERMS AND CONDITIONS" that is about fifteen pages long that dictate all the utterly ludicrous and utterly non-binding faff they want you to agree to. No mate, if its broken when I get it I'm returning it and no, I will not agree to only place a bid after having first sent you a message via carrier pigeon or whatever other nonsense your deranged brain has dreamt up.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    "Information about these guitars available on the internet."

Well, you're trying to sell the bastard thing, it's not much effort to copy and paste it you numpty!

"These are the better quality ones made in Kuala Lumpur, before manufacturing moved to Malaysia."

Uh uh.  Huh?

"I bought this brand new in 1973.."

No you didn't.  You bought it on Ebay last week.  Completed listings says so.  You're even using the same pictures!  And it was made in 1992 FFS.

Any listing that makes Bigfoot and Nessie photographs look crisp and clean.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    "From a smoke and pet free environment".

You being a joyless, cold hearted, controlling health freak doesn't make it any more valuable to me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited April 2017
    impmann said:

A point for @Voxman - it may be that eBay insist on you offering Paypal (which may or may not be a bit naughty depending on how you view such monopolies things) but to insist on cash, when something is for collection only is COMMON SENSE. And if someone doesn't want to pay as such, then go buy from someone else.

Oh and I'm not mad keen on those adverts where they photograph the guitar with a semi-naked girl draped around it.
    When its cash on collection I wholeheartedly agree with you! 

Now, about those semi-naked girls...I'm obviously looking at the wrong ads 'cos I've never seen those - so please do post some! ccane
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 412
    Beloved
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1750

"These usually go for £x" - no it will sell for what it's worth to someone for this exact one.

"It was played recently by <insert famousish guitarist>'s tech who said it was the best guitar he'd ever played"

• NeilNeil Frets: 3636
    Sassafras said:

You being a joyless, cold hearted, controlling health freak doesn't make it any more valuable to me.
    It would to me.

I don't want a guitar (and case) smelling of stale fags and cat wee thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    "nice"

"Not [PRS/Gibson/Fender]" in title, just so it shows up in your searches.

"Stunning" and other hyperbole nonsense.

"One of a kind"

"Tremolo bar missing, you can buy one separately"

Comments like "neck bent like a swan's, but I'm not going to fix it"
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    Sassafras said:

Agreed, makes you wonder what did they do with poor doggo? 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Neil said:
    Sassafras said:

It would to me.

I don't want a guitar (and case) smelling of stale fags and cat wee thanks.
    Weirdo!

;) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• mattblairmattblair Frets: 75
    Philly_Q said:
    "Pictures to follow"
    Guilty of this but it's more of a reflection of my forum browsing in work...

With regards to couriers, the only one I've found who state they cover instruments with the insurance they provide is Transglobal Express - seem to be a reseller of other couriers but the insurance is their own. It's pricey but if you're shipping experience guitars it's worth it!